Home

Some Perspective From a Comm. Day Attendee

This is a discussion on Some Perspective From a Comm. Day Attendee within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 05-10-2009, 01:48 PM   #17
Earlwolfx on XBL

Cusefan's Arena

OVR: 35
Re: Some Perspective From a Comm. Day Attendee

Those same people who bash you guys are the same people who WANT madden to fail. They pollute this board with their word vomit and should stick to the 2k or backbreaker forums.
Old 05-10-2009, 01:51 PM   #18
MVP

OVR: 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quote That Rgiles posted from another member
Seriously, anybody that has been flown down to Orlando as one of the very few to play the game months in advance doesn't really have an unbiased opinion anymore. Companies spend lots of money lobbying people with influence ... and getting that type of VIP treatment seems like an effective method of lobbying.

And most of the guys who were flown down to Orlando seem like stand up dudes, whose opinions i've respected in the past. But each of the 8 dudes that were flown down there have come back as Tiburon apologists.
I've just come to the conclusion that some folks here are looking for a fight all the time, and are by nature just flat-out haters. They can't help themselves.

I don't know who made that ridiculous quote, but that person obviously doesn't know what the hell he's talking about, and he obviously hasn't read enough to come to that conclusion. He obviously didn't see the number of posts I've made since coming back where I've very openly discussed my displeasure over several things like:

*He didn't see my posts about my dislike of the playcall screen. That one went on for a while.

*He didn't see my comments on Michael Young's thread, where I strongly disagreed with adding more field characters when we don't even have a recognizable Head Coach being seen regularly.

*He didn't see the Raisin Head post I made in the same thread about the way the fake coaches look.

*He didn't see what I wrote in several of the documents I've sent Ian since coming back.

*He didn't see the wishlist thread I made where I talked about why 2K's old replay system is better than Madden's.

... and there are plenty others. If anything, I've probably been more critical since coming back, lol. The only difference is that I'm critical of fewer things and that's because the game has improved and has hit many of the targets in my Wishlist series (I'll be posting overall grades for that after release... should be interesting). Am I supposed to pretend that I didn't see improvements? Aren't we supposed to be excited about improvements? I'm not going to just hate because people expect that. Those people can go jump off a bridge.

If I like something I'll say so, if I don't I'll say so, same as I always have. Bottom line is that I'm going to be honest at all times, and there will be no compromise there.

Last edited by TheWatcher; 05-10-2009 at 01:54 PM.
Old 05-10-2009, 02:02 PM   #19
Banned

OVR: 38

The person who made the comment would be OS's very own Plyerznumber1
Old 05-10-2009, 02:12 PM   #20

kehlis's Arena

OVR: 41

Quote:
Originally Posted by boucher
The person who made the comment would be OS's very own Plyerznumber1
Why call him out??

There's a reason rgiles didn't.
Old 05-10-2009, 02:56 PM   #21
Rookie

OVR: 2

OS used to be a place where all people come to have great informative debate on their favorite game franchise. There was no bias (Fanboys were too busy on the 2k sports and EA sports website forums), nor was it this much dislike for a game. I mean when madden-killer David Ortiz was running Madden I dont even recall this much dislike over Madden. I mean it took Ortiz 2 years for a gang-tackle animation. Enter Ian Cummings...he and his team took it upon themselves to not only create the game that we (the community) want, he even asks for our input as far as what else would make this madden the best one yet. he even took 8 of the community's hardest critic's flew them down to Orlando to play a build (That is still being worked on as we speak) to see how far they have to go to get the best football game out there. I am a 2K fan, in particular All-Pro 2k8, I bought one for 360, and 1 for xbox. Not to mention the amount of nfl 2k5's i had to get off ebay because i couldnt find them in stores anymore. I normally dont post, but I am so tired of people bashing a game that only 8 people in this forum have played (and even they haven't played the final build), and glorifing a game that no one has actually seen a good amount of footage from in Backbreaker. I haven't seen enough of backbreaker to determine if it can even compete with Madden or even Blitz, the thing is no one knows. For all I know it could be the second coming of NFL Gameday with Tom Brady on the cover, or it could be the next nfl 2k5, we dont know. But with that being said, to the 8 people from Community Day i just wanna tell you, I ENVY YOU alot! and to Ian and the rest of his team I really respect what you guys are doing with Madden and I hope that you and the team keep making strides to become the best football game out. There will never be another NFL 2K5, but I do want a football game worth being on a next-gen platform.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 05-10-2009, 03:10 PM   #22
Banned

OVR: 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by rgiles36
Community Day was about a month ago today so it's a little late to put this thread together. But the integrity and objectivity of the 8 guys chosen is still coming up and I wanted to make a non-combative attempt to address it.

I was roaming the boards this morning when I saw a little something that caught my attention:

I've seen posts of similar content for the past month, so this particular one is not all that different. But if I could, I'd like to throw my thoughts out there.

It appears that some members of the OS community now look at us as one of them. Apparently, since we've come back from Orlando, we've had nothing but complimentary things to say about Madden 10 and the new direction. We're even coined as being bias now by some accounts . I once saw where a guy flat out said, "What happened to the old LBzRules???"

Certainly, I was not naive enough to think that everyone would unanimously be on board with the 8 guys chosen and that everything would resume being 'reesy piecey' post Community Day. I knew we'd be looked at as tainted or sipping the Kool-Aid . But the truth of the matter is we've still been critical. We have still commented in threads pertaining to features that need improvement. And as Adem has said on a few occasions, much of the critical stuff is contained in our feedback Word documents that for obvious reasons, you guys can't see.

Still, I get the feeling that some will continue to think we're bias until we rip EA and the development staff a new one as I'm sure some of us have done in the past. I can't speak for the other 7 guys, but chances are you won't see that from me.

You won't read where I said, "These guys aren't trying. They're lazy. They need to hand the license over to 2K...etc." But I think that's what some of you are looking for as an indication that we're not bias.

I challenge anyone (emphasis on anyone) to first be invited down to Orlando, get to know the team, take an in-depth look at their office and workstations, and come back and say that Tiburon doesn't get it. And I bet the other 7 guys feel the same way. If recognizing that the guys down in Orlando are busting their tails is considered sipping the Kool-Aid, then give me a refill . And no, I don't have a comment on the past Community Day reps and how those games were received once reaching the public.

Without a doubt, the proof is still in the pudding and it'll remain that way. No amount of us babbling over the next three months will erase 4 years of memories of underwhelming Madden releases. But if you're looking for a reason for what some may define as a change in attitude, I wanted to shed some light on that.

Feel free to discuss.
Here's what I don't understand. A mod closed the other thread citing I was being too offensive with this comment, yet, this thread stands untouched. The inconsistencies, obvious favoritism, and downright bias towards anything negative against Madden and or Tiburon has totally destroyed the credibility of this forum. Seriously. The same policies from up top that ruined Maddenmania is taking its course here.
Old 05-10-2009, 03:17 PM   #23
Banned

OVR: 8

and BTW, I dont want any of the 8 guys who were flown to Orlando to come back and say "EA is lazy give the license back to 2K" ... it isn't a black and white thing.

It just seems that since those 8 guys returned they've been apologist/praising everything about EA and the dev team, and I dont blame them. I'm sure you met the team, and they were friendly guys, bought you some drinks, and you got to know them. It's hard to knock on the team at this point, especially after you were awarded the privilege of flying down there and playing madden .. how cool is that?

If EA flew me out to Orlando .. and took a chance on choosing me... i'd come back bright eyed and bushy tailed saying whatever I had to so that I would be flown out there again.

And my problem with the EA/Tiburon team isn't laziness. I dont think it's guys who sit around playing paper football in their cubicles. In my opinion, the team simply lacks ability.

I play a certain PC game for hours and hours everyday ... and read everything I can to improve my skills on the game. At the end of the day, no matter what, there are some people just more talented then I am. It doesn't matter how much I work to polish my skills, or how much effort I put into the game. There's certain people who are simply better at the game than I am.

I think in the case of Tiburon/Madden .. I dont question their work ethic .. i question their lack of talent given their track record over the last 4-5 years.

I understand this is an unpopular opinion .. and it's no longer ok to have an unpopular opinion here ... but, whatever.
Old 05-10-2009, 03:18 PM   #24
49ers

adembroski's Arena

OVR: 43

I became very heated about this subject a while back but something reminded me of the perspective of those who haven't played it.

I can't imagine it's easy to believe Madden's made the kind of turnaround we're making it seem like. It really doesn't make sense. While I really don't appreciate my integrity being attacked, I also understand why people would be skeptical.

You see 8 guys... 5 of whom were extremely skeptical of Madden's improvement fly down to Orlando for 48 hours and come back suddenly unanimously approving of the new game, after four years of what we've had... I don't think I'd believe it either, to a certain extent.

Now a fair minded person would refrain from attacking the character of the individuals sent, but it's a difficult thing to wrap your mind around. I questioned it while I was there, "How is it, after 4 years of essentially roster updates and little to no improvement in pretty much any substantial area of the game, in one season you've done all this?" Branching animations were pretty much the only improvement of substance since '06. Now we have ProTak, which includes a slew of new additions that simply change the game.

I've still been critical. I've talked about issues with the pocket, issues with the pass rush, pursuit, nothing about the game is perfect. I have never said that this game was better than 2k5... in fact, I've specifically said it's not, but had the potential to be, depending on the tuning over the last 2 months.

And I think all 8 of us realize that we played such an early version of the game that it isn't going to be the same game on release day. We can assume it'll be better, but that's not necessarily automatic.

The first kind is wrong. The second is superfluous.

The only difference between reality and fiction is that fiction needs to be credible.
-Mark Twain.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »