Home

CPU play-calling

This is a discussion on CPU play-calling within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 05-11-2009, 05:45 AM   #17
RKO!!

PantherBeast_OS's Arena

OVR: 53
Re: CPU play-calling

Yea this does need to be be address.
Old 05-11-2009, 09:19 AM   #18
Rookie

OVR: 4

great post PGaither84... I think we do look at the clock issue from different perspectives. Makes EA's job real tough cause I see the validity in both arguments.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PGaither84
... When you play a game that isn't 15min quarters the question comes up, are you just wanting to play a "whole game" in less time, or are you trying to compact a "real game" worth of stats into a shorter actual game time?
I want to call my play, come out of the huddle, let my players set up, my center point out his blocks, my QB go though his cadence, maybe send a man in motion, have time to call an audible and set up at times and snap the ball.
I just want to address those two points.

first, I do want to play a 'real game' compacted into whatever time the quarter length is set to. That's the biggest difference right there. Cause your solution is perfect for the game you describe. It would be real interesting to test out our theories and see how they really work and compare.

Your second point I am totally in agreement with cause that's how I like to play my games, too. but again we solve that problem differently. I suggest taking the play calling out of the equation. already there's precedent with giving the defense 10 seconds 'untimed' to call their play. why not just let both offense and defense have 10 seconds each (or 15 and 10, whatever) to call their plays? Once both teams call their play, set the clocks in motion. In 16 seconds there should be enough time to set the line, motion, call an audible if need be, all of that. At least for me, in the current game, if I make my play call at about 35 seconds, I can surely do all that and snap the ball before 20 seconds on the play clock. It's that extra 20 seconds that the clock milkers/drainers take per play which ruin it for me. cause they take up a disproportionate amount of time in a regular game (again, comes down to proportions, which is the way I look at the entire length of the game).

EA has a tough one on their hands with this one. I don't want to take out the strategy of running the ball and controlling time of possession. But I do hope you're right that accelerated clock will stop the clock milkers from making the game boring just sitting there for 30 seconds doing nothing.
Old 05-11-2009, 12:44 PM   #19
Pro

dougdeuce's Arena

OVR: 18

Quote:
Originally Posted by djKianoosh
But I do hope you're right that accelerated clock will stop the clock milkers from making the game boring just sitting there for 30 seconds doing nothing.
See, I play the Computer exlusively (hence the thread title)..
Maybe online needs a new set of rules, but what I'm interested in is the cpu taking MORE TIME when play calling. Maybe make that relative to quarter length... In the last 3 days I've "spectated" like 10 games on 15 min. quarters and I've seen 20 quarterbacks have 600 yard games... not because they played phenomenal, but because they threw it 80 times. In fact, they never ran the play clock down past 30.

This is my issue. I hate how they put no thought into it, because they're a computer. It just waits 7 seconds to make the call.
Old 05-11-2009, 01:02 PM   #20
Rookie

OVR: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by dougdeuce
See, I play the Computer exlusively (hence the thread title)..
Maybe online needs a new set of rules, but what I'm interested in is the cpu taking MORE TIME when play calling. Maybe make that relative to quarter length... In the last 3 days I've "spectated" like 10 games on 15 min. quarters and I've seen 20 quarterbacks have 600 yard games... not because they played phenomenal, but because they threw it 80 times. In fact, they never ran the play clock down past 30.

This is my issue. I hate how they put no thought into it, because they're a computer. It just waits 7 seconds to make the call.

ahh ok, you're describing another problem. see, it's the number of plays per game. in a typical 5 minute madden game, each team has about 30ish offensive plays. in a real NFL game, I think the number varies from 50-70, give or take a few depending on time of possession, play style, etc.

for example:
Week 11 Skins vs 'Boys: Skins had 53 plays, cowboys had 55.
Week 14 Eagles v Gents: Eagles had 72 plays, Giants had 51.
Week 16 Stillers v Titans: Steelers had 64 plays, Titans 60.

So if you're spectating a 15 minute quarter type game in madden, if teams are throwing 80 times, then of course the stats will skew. That's waaaaay off. Now, what PGaither and I were discussing was the length of games and how it relates to the play clock on each play, but we could easily just look at the total number of plays too. so say 60 plays for a real NFL game is average for each team. if we use 5 minute quarters that would mean each team would only get 20 plays per game. this is where the game designers have to balance playability and fun versus simulating the real thing. I wouldn't be able to get into a good flow with just 20 plays a game. I think I might be leaning toward PGaither's system of 8 minute quarters here, if they got the number of plays and the play clock balanced properly.
Old 05-11-2009, 01:14 PM   #21
Pro

Maelstrom-XIII's Arena

OVR: 17

I've played 6 min quarters on 09 and gotten roughly 40-50 plays...I just don't let the playclock run down either...but it is something that should be addressed, and hopefully with the accelerated playclock, i can play longer quarters to get more realistic stats/play numbers, etc without having to play a long time, as I don't have hours to sit in front of the tube...

Carolina Panthers - NC State Wolfpack - Charlotte Hornets - Brisbane Roar FC - VfB Stuttgart
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 05-11-2009, 01:33 PM   #22
MVP

OVR: 23

Quote:
Originally Posted by tooldude79
nothing worse than when the CPU has a 4th and 1 on my 30 and instead of going for it or kicking a field goal, they decide to punt it out of the back of the endzone
I think Ian said that's been fixed.

Last edited by Cryolemon; 05-11-2009 at 02:00 PM.
Old 05-11-2009, 01:46 PM   #23
Pro

dougdeuce's Arena

OVR: 18

I think if you're playing 5 min quarters you should expect 40 plays total. if you want more, up the quarter length. But the CPU should still behave accordingly when it comes to how long they take to call plays. Maybe they take 2 seconds on a 5 min quarter, but take 20 seconds on a 10 - 15 min quarter. I want sim, and because of that I've not played a 5 min quarter in 10 years. It's boring.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »