Home

CPU play-calling

This is a discussion on CPU play-calling within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 05-10-2009, 01:20 PM   #1
Pro

dougdeuce's Arena

OVR: 18
CPU play-calling

I'm not aware if this has been addressed yet, but I play games on 10 min quarters and the CPU play-calling speed doesn't change at all. I'm sure it's fine for the 5min quarter guys, but for the rest of us, I can't stand it. I hold the ball for 7 mins on a 13 play drive and CPU holds the ball for 3 mins on a 13 play drive... they wind the clock all the way down to ... 32 before calling a play.

IMO this needs to be fixed. If there is going to be a better fatigue system this year then please make the CPU attempt to wear my D down throughout a game.

ON A SIDE NOTE, the playclock not starting at the end of the play is a huge disappointment from the last few Maddens.
I don't think it's fair that if my RB gets tackled with 45 seconds left in the quarter the playclock won't start until my play-call screen shows up 6 seconds later, allowing me to run out the quarter.

As soon as the play is blown dead the playclock should reset, and by the time my players reach the huddle there should be around 30 - 34 seconds left on it.

I hope these have been adressed, and if not, I hope they can be before going gold. This game is going to be amazing, but I'm not about to get complacent.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 05-10-2009, 01:52 PM   #2
Pro

OVR: 9
Re: CPU play-calling

This is definitely important. I hope it is addressed.
Old 05-10-2009, 02:46 PM   #3
Rookie

OVR: 4

you're talking about clock issues basically. and I've posted a suggestion on how to fix this before. basically the problem is that they don't take into account the fact that a 5 minute quarter game is different from a full 15 minute quarter game.

if they did, the play clock would be more like this:

15 minute quarters : 40 second play clock
6 minute quarters : 16 seconds
5 minute quarters : 13.3 seconds
10 minute quarters : 26.7 seconds

the point being that it's all a matter of proper ratios.

and the way to make this work is to give the offense 10-15 seconds to make their play selection, then the normal 10 seconds for the defense to make their play call, both without affecting the play clock or game clock.

this solution totally prevents clock milking and also should make your 10 minute quarter games look more balanced between yourself and the cpu in terms of time of possession.
Old 05-10-2009, 03:00 PM   #4
Pro

dougdeuce's Arena

well, I don't necessarily want them to change the playclock, i just want the computer to react to it differently. maybe they make that adjustment to how the cpu calls their plays. I like to take my time and think about what I'm doing. The cpu never does, and it takes away from the feel of the game. I want to believe that the other coach is actually reacting to my playcalling and making decisions about that, therefore not calling a play every 7 seconds!
Old 05-10-2009, 03:02 PM   #5
GO PACK GO

PlatooN's Arena

OVR: 17

i hate the cpu's play call philosophies...if you even want to call it that.
how about the cpu's time out calling stratagy in the last 2 mins. Doesn't seem to matter if the game clock has already wound down 20 seconds..they must call time with 1:01 remaining.
very very minor annoyance
Old 05-10-2009, 03:05 PM   #6
Pro

dougdeuce's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by Falzon
i hate the cpu's play call philosophies...if you even want to call it that.
how about the cpu's time out calling stratagy in the last 2 mins. Doesn't seem to matter if the game clock has already wound down 20 seconds..they must call time with 1:01 remaining.
very very minor annoyance
not for me, I hate that they do that. I can ALWAYS predict what the CPU will do, which is not sim.
Old 05-10-2009, 03:08 PM   #7
MVP

RGiles36's Arena

OVR: 34

Accelerated clock should help with this immensely. There were still some suspect play-calling tendencies @ CD, but we were advised that they were bugs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dougdeuce
ON A SIDE NOTE, the playclock not starting at the end of the play is a huge disappointment from the last few Maddens.
I don't think it's fair that if my RB gets tackled with 45 seconds left in the quarter the playclock won't start until my play-call screen shows up 6 seconds later, allowing me to run out the quarter.

As soon as the play is blown dead the playclock should reset, and by the time my players reach the huddle there should be around 30 - 34 seconds left on it.
^^Agreed. I harped on this all of last year. It's a small detail but it helps the realism. Honestly, I'm not sure how it's set this year. The inclusion of the accelerated clock sort of took my mind off of it. But it would be nice to see the clock resume once the play is blown dead.
Old 05-10-2009, 05:46 PM   #8
Rookie

OVR: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by rgiles36
Accelerated clock should help with this immensely. There were still some suspect play-calling tendencies @ CD, but we were advised that they were bugs.

^^Agreed. I harped on this all of last year. It's a small detail but it helps the realism. Honestly, I'm not sure how it's set this year. The inclusion of the accelerated clock sort of took my mind off of it. But it would be nice to see the clock resume once the play is blown dead.

yeah but will the accelerated clock prevent abusive clock milking? i dont mind someone running the ball and going for a long drive, but as it stands, people can run and milk the clock and take up an entire quarter. if we're talking sim, let's talk sim. NO WAY it should be that easy to run a drive the entire quarter. I don't think accelerated clock fixes this blatantly annoying problem.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »