Home

Sprinting, your opinion please

This is a discussion on Sprinting, your opinion please within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?
View Poll Results: How would you like sprinting in Madden be done?
Tap a button continously, the faster you tap the faster they run 44 30.14%
press and hold a single button 102 69.86%
Voters: 146. You may not vote on this poll

Old 05-11-2009, 05:59 PM   #49
MVP

Clarke_311's Arena

OVR: 20
Re: Was there ever any discussion to get rid of Speed Burst?

They took it out in NHL so I guess it's possible.
Toronto Blue Jays Fan
Philadelphia Eagles Fan
Old 05-11-2009, 07:20 PM   #50
Rookie

OVR: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by maddenps2
Nfl players and athletes use bursts of speeds and slowing techniques all the time, Players don't always run full-speed ,sometimes they use and extra burst to make a tackle or to elude a defender.

Well isn't that what agility and acceleration is for? lol

What is a speed burst? There is no speed burst in real life, just speed, acceleration and agility.

When I was running away from a guy I didn't have a magical button located on your arsh that allowed me a speed burst, I was as fast as I could be already lol
Old 05-12-2009, 03:50 PM   #51
Rookie

OVR: 5

any of the developers want to chime in on this. I didn't think this was a stupid question, but maybe it is lol
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 05-12-2009, 03:52 PM   #52
MVP

OVR: 18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sauk
any of the developers want to chime in on this. I didn't think this was a stupid question, but maybe it is lol
It's actually a great question - speed should be tied to ratings and the stick. The harder you push up the faster they run. NHL did it really well.

For some reason, I remember Ian saying they were contemplating it but not for this years game. Could be wrong on this though.
Old 05-12-2009, 04:22 PM   #53
Banned

OVR: 2

Well considering we as humans have this ability to adjust the speed at which we move, it's kind of necessary. When you run do you only sprint? Speed burst is simply a stupid term because it insinuates the players have some magical ability, when really it's just a sprint button. Isn't this kind of obvious?
Old 05-12-2009, 04:29 PM   #54
MVP

OVR: 12

You ever see barry sanders run he was the king of speed and direction changes.
Old 05-12-2009, 04:44 PM   #55
MVP

OVR: 20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sauk
Well isn't that what agility and acceleration is for? lol

What is a speed burst? There is no speed burst in real life, just speed, acceleration and agility.

When I was running away from a guy I didn't have a magical button located on your arsh that allowed me a speed burst, I was as fast as I could be already lol
While there may not be a button in real life that controls it there is a noticable difference between a player's speed while moving around most of the time and a burst that he makes for a short time to escape, to catch someone, to avoid a hit, to catch up to a ball or whatever. The speed burst is currently overpowered and its downside and fatigue effects need to be more dramatic but it should not be removed. It needs to be something that should only be done on rare occasions due to being less controlled and leading to much greater fatigue.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 05-12-2009, 04:51 PM   #56
Rookie

OVR: 1

as others have said its not a speed burst button, but the sprint button

players do not always sprint, its too hard to change direction.
as far as the game is concerned, think of it like this
while you are holding down the sprint button, your turning radius is larger, spin and jukes are slower to happen and not quick, you take longer to stop, have less balance if hit from the side, etc.
when not sprinting, your player is very quick to change direction, has quick feet, better balance when hit, much quicker juke and spin animations (both quicker to begin the animation, and the animation takes less time to finish)

Im not sure how the differences are implemented, but it may be something like this

for running without sprinting, take 90% of speed rating and 90% of acceleration to calculate on the field speed

while sprinting, take 100% of both

its all about using the right system at the appropriate time. runners who master that are the ones that are really really good. Theres no point in sprinting into the line in game (as of know) because the chance you will slip through a hole untouched is minimal.
at the same time, someone who breaks away is an idiot for not sprinting.

different players have different tendencies too
Barry Sanders hardly ever "sprinted", but he was ridiculously good at controlling himself and making other people look silly.
Chris Johnson sprints much more, if he see's a crease, he sprints. 9/10 times he will blast through that hole and be gone.

different styles to play the game, just like real life

edit:

I agree with the above post, the effect should be lessened, with fatigue increased
at the same time, it should be balanced so that you dont need to be sprinting at all times. the current running while not holding sprint is too much like jogging (based off of fuzzy memories, i dont remember the last time I didnt use sprint)
sprint should be used for an extra burst over a short area and for when your trying to race to the endzone

Last edited by cam4mav; 05-12-2009 at 04:54 PM.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »