Home

Madden NFL and the industry. What affect does this have on you?

This is a discussion on Madden NFL and the industry. What affect does this have on you? within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 05-12-2009, 10:28 PM   #9
MVP

MattIntellect's Arena

OVR: 26
Re: Madden NFL and the industry. What affect does this have on you?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valdarez
Kind of depends. Did they pay a license fee (one time fee, typically the case for licenses), a percentage fee (% of sales/profit), or a per unit fee (# of units sold). In only one of the scenarios would what you suggest make sense.

If you look at what EA did with the NFLP, the back door shenanigans that took money out of the pockets of the old school NFL players (equivalent of not paying for health care for wounded vets) then it's not beyond reason that the same went on with the licensing deal.

Trust me, many RFP are a done deal before they ever hit the public arena. I have had RFP's in my hand before they were ever available to out competitors.

I still say the best thing EA could do to win fans back over is release the license, and let their be fair competition again (same for 2K with MLB).
I'm not sure that releasing the license is EA Sports's decision. And also it wouldn't be fair competition again because EA Sports would no longer be able to make NFL video games. If you read the blog, or article, completely, then you'd understand that the NFL makes most of these decisions. I believe that the NFL offered EA Sports the license, instead of the other way around. You also mentioned that EA Sports mistreated the former NFL players. Why do you think that? Do you think that EA Sports should pay them to use their names in the game? Hmmmm......I'm not sure.
Old 05-12-2009, 10:34 PM   #10
All Star

Valdarez's Arena

OVR: 51

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattIntellect
I'm not sure that releasing the license is EA Sports's decision. And also it wouldn't be fair competition again because EA Sports would no longer be able to make NFL video games. If you read the blog, or article, completely, then you'd understand that the NFL makes most of these decisions. I believe that the NFL offered EA Sports the license, instead of the other way around. You also mentioned that EA Sports mistreated the former NFL players. Why do you think that? Do you think that EA Sports should pay them to use their names in the game? Hmmmm......I'm not sure.
I never meant for EA to quit making NFL games. No way. Competition is good all the way around. I just meant release the contract so the exclusitivyt was no longer in play, and then sign a normal licensing agreement as in years past.

You're right about the exclusivity part though. There's not doubt that at the end of the day the NFL has the final say with regards to exclusivity. At the same time, there's no way EA ever wants to give it up. It's a huge competitive advantage for them.
Old 05-12-2009, 10:35 PM   #11
MVP

OVR: 27

Quote:
I have always hated that they were "supposed" do to that....some sports players make me sooo mad, a name is a name I would pay EA to have my name in Madden and they charge for it??? That is ridiculous...

Currently Playing: Mortal Kombat & Portal 2
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 05-12-2009, 10:44 PM   #12
All Star

Valdarez's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brandon_c993
I have always hated that they were "supposed" do to that....some sports players make me sooo mad, a name is a name I would pay EA to have my name in Madden and they charge for it??? That is ridiculous...
Comments like yours and Matts indicate you have no knowledge of the history of the game, or what those guys went through. Like I said, it's the equivalent of not providing healthcare for wounded vets after a war. Those old timers are the reason we have a NFL today, and they hardly made a dime back then. The NFLP was created to protect them and compensate them for the work they did and the sacrifices they made. Instead, it violated their trust, basically stealing money from their pockets and putting it in EAs.
Old 05-12-2009, 10:49 PM   #13
MVP

MattIntellect's Arena

Quote:
I never meant for EA to quit making NFL games. No way. Competition is good all the way around. I just meant release the contract so the exclusitivyt was no longer in play, and then sign a normal licensing agreement as in years past.

You're right about the exclusivity part though. There's not doubt that at the end of the day the NFL has the final say with regards to exclusivity. At the same time, there's no way EA ever wants to give it up. It's a huge competitive advantage for them.
Lets say that EA Sports released the exclusivity contract and signed a normal licensing agreement like you said. Do you think that the big, bad, NFL would let them? Do you think that the NFL wants competition?
Old 05-12-2009, 10:51 PM   #14
MVP

MattIntellect's Arena

Quote:
Comments like yours and Matts indicate you have no knowledge of the history of the game, or what those guys went through. Like I said, it's the equivalent of not providing healthcare for wounded vets after a war. Those old timers are the reason we have a NFL today, and they hardly made a dime back then. The NFLP was created to protect them and compensate them for the work they did and the sacrifices they made. Instead, it violated their trust, basically stealing money from their pockets and putting it in EAs.
The NFL is also responsible for this too, right? Or is it EA Sports?
Old 05-12-2009, 11:19 PM   #15
Banned

OVR: 9

Quote:
Lets say that EA Sports released the exclusivity contract and signed a normal licensing agreement like you said. Do you think that the big, bad, NFL would let them? Do you think that the NFL wants competition?
Um, what? The NFL isn't competing with anyone tho. They get the revenue that any NFL licensed game earns.

Quote:
The NFL is also responsible for this too, right? Or is it EA Sports?
Yea, apparently the NFL shopped the license out themselves, but there are rumblings of some under the table type deals that would keep 2K at arms length from acquiring the license. To simplify it, the NFL "pretended" to shop the license but had EA in mind the whole time, or so its been said, but who knows what 'really' went down. There was wayyy too much money being tossed around for us to know what honestly happened.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 05-13-2009, 01:09 AM   #16
All Star

Valdarez's Arena

Quote:
From a business perspective, one would think the NFL would want to do whatever they can to generate revenue and increase the quality of their brand. Yet the exclusivity contract seems to point to the very opposite.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »