Home

Madden NFL and the industry. What affect does this have on you?

This is a discussion on Madden NFL and the industry. What affect does this have on you? within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 05-13-2009, 01:18 AM   #17
RKO!!

PantherBeast_OS's Arena

OVR: 53
Re: Madden NFL and the industry. What affect does this have on you?

Bottom line 2k football games sold 20 bucks a pop. Madden at that time sold at 50 bucks a pop. NFL saw going with EA madden would make them more money then @k games would That is one of the reasons they went with madden. Plus madden was a better football game aswell. End of story. Ea is the only nfl rights company left for years to come. Get use to it.
Old 05-13-2009, 01:24 AM   #18
All Star

Valdarez's Arena

OVR: 51

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pantherbeast
Bottom line 2k football games sold 20 bucks a pop. Madden at that time sold at 50 bucks a pop. NFL saw going with EA madden would make them more money then @k games would That is one of the reasons they went with madden. Plus madden was a better football game aswell. End of story. Ea is the only nfl rights company left for years to come. Get use to it.
Excellent insight. Of course, if it was the end of the story we woudln't be talking about half a decade later. That's the level at which the 2k5 game delivered, and that's why 5 years later Madden 10 is still trying to live up to the game play features of 2K5. Regardless of the reason, the one thing we should all be able to agree on, is that in the end, we the consumers lose.
Old 05-13-2009, 01:34 AM   #19
Earlwolfx on XBL

Cusefan's Arena

OVR: 35

I can not Imagine the NFL being happy that 2K sold their Product for a bargain price when they felt their product should be sold at a premium price. Add in the fact that Madden still sold more copies than 2k5, it would have been a no brainer as to who to give the exclusive license to.
Old 05-13-2009, 01:43 AM   #20
All Star

Valdarez's Arena

OVR: 51

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cusefan
I can not Imagine the NFL being happy that 2K sold their Product for a bargain price when they felt their product should be sold at a premium price. Add in the fact that Madden still sold more copies than 2k5, it would have been a no brainer as to who to give the exclusive license to.
Read my first post. It all depends on how they got their money. If it was an upfront licensing fee (one time dollar amount), then why would they care?
Old 05-13-2009, 02:14 AM   #21
Pro

OVR: 10

i loved madden, always have always will... but still with that competition that 2k5 brought made madden actually fight for the title of best sports game...

had their not been an exclusive deal, just imagine where BOTH of the games would be at right now!!!

(didnt read all posts so sorry if someone else mentioned this already)

GO SEAHAWKS!
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 05-13-2009, 02:41 AM   #22
MVP

OVR: 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valdarez
Comments like yours and Matts indicate you have no knowledge of the history of the game, or what those guys went through. Like I said, it's the equivalent of not providing healthcare for wounded vets after a war. Those old timers are the reason we have a NFL today, and they hardly made a dime back then. The NFLP was created to protect them and compensate them for the work they did and the sacrifices they made. Instead, it violated their trust, basically stealing money from their pockets and putting it in EAs.
First of all I probably have more knowledge of the history of the NFL then most people would ever think possible... The bit about NFL players not getting paid to use their names is the equivalent of not providing healthcare for war vets.....that is laughable, War Vets risked their lives NFL players played a game, Big difference. Now OK I understand players that didn't make a lot of money but when you get into the early to mid 80's the guys made money and a lot of it, sure it isn't the 100 million contracts you get now, but it was in the millions and that is way too much to get paid to play a game...Do I enjoy watching it? Of course but it is just a game...

Currently Playing: Mortal Kombat & Portal 2

Last edited by Brandon_c993; 05-13-2009 at 02:49 AM.
Old 05-14-2009, 08:21 PM   #23
MVP

MattIntellect's Arena

OVR: 26

Quote:
Originally Posted by xblake16x
i loved madden, always have always will... but still with that competition that 2k5 brought made madden actually fight for the title of best sports game...

had their not been an exclusive deal, just imagine where BOTH of the games would be at right now!!!

(didnt read all posts so sorry if someone else mentioned this already)

GO SEAHAWKS!
We still have to move on and continue to work with EA Sports to make this year's Madden great.
Old 05-14-2009, 09:08 PM   #24
MVP

MattIntellect's Arena

OVR: 26

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProjectSRT
Um, what? The NFL isn't competing with anyone tho. They get the revenue that any NFL licensed game earns.

Yea, apparently the NFL shopped the license out themselves, but there are rumblings of some under the table type deals that would keep 2K at arms length from acquiring the license. To simplify it, the NFL "pretended" to shop the license but had EA in mind the whole time, or so its been said, but who knows what 'really' went down. There was wayyy too much money being tossed around for us to know what honestly happened.
I meant if you thought that the NFL wants competition amongst its NFL video games. The NFL wants one game that uses their name and logos, not 5 or 6 games competing with each other.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »