Home

Blitzing In Madden '10

This is a discussion on Blitzing In Madden '10 within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 05-14-2009, 10:35 PM   #1
All Star

Valdarez's Arena

OVR: 51
Question Blitzing In Madden '10

Can someone provide a breakdown for how you blitz in Madden '09? (button controls used to hot blitz, how to determine the gap you are going to blitz)

I know there's no DLine calls, so you have to pay pretty close attention to the play you call when determining the gap to blitz. Here's something I would like to see, and I'd like to get your feedback.

First of all, I don't know the buttons in Madden off the top of my head, so I'm just providing buttons for example purposes only. No need to point out problems with button overlaps. Though feel free to point out better button options / or ideas.

Here's what I would like to see.

1. Defensive Line Calls
Defensive Line calls provides the ability for a player to define the gap they wish to close, as well as the gap the wish to open. This is very important for stopping specific running plays, as well as opening up a lane for a blitz. I would like to see DLine calls implemented in Madden, the same way (or along the lines of) they are implemented in AFP2K8. It provides a whole new level of control to the game, and whole new level of strategy.

2. Gap Open / Close
It would be nice to have a button that lets you either audible to a DLine call, or, close / open a specific gap.

For example if you wanted to close a gap because you thought they were going to run through it based on the formation (remember, these buttons are just for example) a user hits LB, at which point the game displays buttons over the gaps/outsides of the line that you can close, X, Y, A, LB, RB for the gaps plus outsides of the line.

Or, the alternative, say you wanted to blitz a player through a specific gap, to designate the gap you want your players to seal off, a player could hit RB, at which point the game displays buttons over the gaps/outsides of the line that they will try to seal off, X, Y, A, LB, RB for the gaps plus outsides of the line.

3. Blitzer Gap Designation

When designating a player to blitz, do the same thing as discussed in #2. Select the player you want, an outside Linebacker for example, and then hit a button RT (buttons don't matter, these are just examples), and then the game would highlight the gaps/outside lanes available and display another button for the user to select, X, Y, A, LB/RB (for outside lanes).

What do you guys think? Good / Bad, got a better approach you want to share?

Last edited by Valdarez; 05-15-2009 at 01:08 AM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 05-14-2009, 10:40 PM   #2
Banned

OVR: 19
re: Blitzing In Madden '10

My only gripe with pass-rushing in Madden 09 is this:

When the user is on offense, his OL is typically awful. Most of the sacks on a user QB are due to the OL not laying a hand on the DL or LB that gets the sack. Typically because the AI doesn't know what to do.

When the CPU is on offense, the CPU OL is amazing. No matter who/where you blitz, the OL pretty much makes all the right blocks. And if you do manage to sneak a guy in there, the QB still get the pass off before you hit him.

So in conclusion, OL Pass Blocking is only broken for the user, not the CPU.
Old 05-14-2009, 10:48 PM   #3
Pro

OVR: 9

Good idea but it's definitely got to be simplified. Perhaps toggle through with the analog stick to choose the lane similar to pressing the switch player button, use one button to toggle through them.
Old 05-14-2009, 10:51 PM   #4
MVP

MattIntellect's Arena

OVR: 26

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYyankz225
Good idea but it's definitely got to be simplified. Perhaps toggle through with the analog stick to choose the lane similar to pressing the switch player button, use one button to toggle through them.
Yea, it should be simplified.
Old 05-14-2009, 10:55 PM   #5
Banned

OVR: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRxAmazing
My only gripe with pass-rushing in Madden 09 is this:

When the user is on offense, his OL is typically awful. Most of the sacks on a user QB are due to the OL not laying a hand on the DL or LB that gets the sack. Typically because the AI doesn't know what to do.

When the CPU is on offense, the CPU OL is amazing. No matter who/where you blitz, the OL pretty much makes all the right blocks. And if you do manage to sneak a guy in there, the QB still get the pass off before you hit him.

So in conclusion, OL Pass Blocking is only broken for the user, not the CPU.
thats why i don't play on all madden, it ****s with your players too much
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 05-14-2009, 10:58 PM   #6
Rookie

OVR: 3

I'd love to see individual defensive linemen 'hot stunts' (guess that's what you'd call them). In my experience, blitzes are often accompanied with stunts to clear out the lane, especially on delayed blitzes. I think the most intuitive system possible would be to use the hot route system (Y brings up players), press the icon for an individual player, and then have different stunts/blitz routes mapped to the one of the sticks (ala skate). You'd just move the stick like how you would want that player to move (diagonally for slants, more rounded in some cases).
Old 05-14-2009, 11:07 PM   #7
All Star

Valdarez's Arena

OVR: 51

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYyankz225
APF2K8 uses this approach for manning players up, and it works like a champ. Their blitzing however uses the D-Pad, and the problem with it is that you can't really get it to key in on a specific gap/lane. Successful use of the hot blitz (delayed or other wise) requires specific knowledge in order for it to work. Due to this, 99% of the gamers have never figured out how to use it effectively.

To man up a player -->

1. Select Player
2. Press Button to Signify Hot Man Coverage
3. Press Button to Signify the Man to Cover

Blitzing would work the same way.

1. Select Player
2. Press Button to Signify Blitzing
3. Press Button to Signify Gap / Lane to blitz through

Gap Control would work this way

1. Press Button to Select Gap Control (Open or Close)
2. Press Button to Select Gap/Lane to Open/Close

What do you guys see the complexity?
Old 05-15-2009, 12:31 AM   #8
Pro

OVR: 9

The problem imo is that when you're audibling to change to man coverage you know/have an idea of what the corresponding button for a receiver is going to be before you make the change, and that button is shown on the screen. Generally you know the receiver on the left is X your backs are Y or LB, etc for 360. Having to decipher which gap corresponds to which button would have to be done in a matter of seconds and it's not something that is intuitive imo. And unless a overlay UI popped up at the LOS which denoted each gap and lane with a specific button (which would make it more intuitive yet much more unsightly), that would mean you're fumbling through small pre play menu to figure that out.

I know you said not to focus on the specific implementation or button choices though, so overall I agree that something like this is necessary. They pay Ian the big bucks to figure out the best way to implement it .

Last edited by NYyankz225; 05-15-2009 at 12:34 AM.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »