Home

Madden NFL 10 Hands-On Preview (IGN)

This is a discussion on Madden NFL 10 Hands-On Preview (IGN) within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 05-18-2009, 12:57 PM   #225
MVP

OVR: 27
Re: Madden NFL 10 Hands-On Preview (IGN)

Quote:
Originally Posted by rgiles36
It doesn't resemble anyone of course LOL. My question then is where are you pulling these shots from? I've seen you post them before and I thought the same thing then. The only reason I ask is b/c from my limited time spent on next-gen Maddens, I've never seen those types of shots for the head coaches or the raisin head for that matter .
I just took sideline pics in replay. I had a live game pic too but it wouldn't load in my software for some reason.

Quote:
Oh I'm not advocating to make the sidelines more populated. I think a solid job was done with this last year. Madden 08's sidelines were the worst . And again, my position is not rooted in more refs over a detailed head coach. I'm just saying that I don't think the head coach requires as much full-detail as you've said over the past few months.
I don't too much expect the refs to be polygonal monsters... but they should at least look like what they look like during challenges in 09. If they did that, this would satisfy me. But the raisin heads? That's bad.

Quote:
Then we both agree that NFL2K5 did a pretty damn good job with their head coach detail. But then my point is this: even though 2K did a swell job on designing their head coaches, they don't make that much a difference to me. Aside from the scenarios that I pointed out earlier, they're just there. They look good, but if it comes down to an either-or situation, I'll take less detailed but recognizeable head coaches over going all out to design the head coach's and lessening the characters around the sidelines (be it assistant coaches, camera crew, security, etc). I know you despise the characters that are just there in the background, but they help the atmosphere IMO.
I'm not against characters being there as long as I see them on a regular basis. My opposition to the 24 event staffers issue I talked about back in the Winter, is that you never actually know they are there until you go into replay and then look for them all and count them. Things can really only help atmosphere if they're seen. If not, it's just a wasted resource.

Now, the idea of having more Coaches is great. Where it breaks down is when you see them and they look like Raisin heads and they don't even wear your teams colors. It looks wrong and in terms of immersion, it actually hurts it. It's glaring in post-play situations which is where I first recognized it. I was the Giants and I looked over and saw a coach wearing a light beige shirt. I'm like "who the hell is this guy?"

Let me ask you this... if you had a choice between 3 raisin heads or a fully recognizable Wade Philips popping up in post-play and other situations, which would you choose?
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 05-18-2009, 01:03 PM   #226
All Star

Valdarez's Arena

OVR: 51

Quote:
Did you miss that discussion a few months back? There was a lot of good discussion in that thread some time back and Ian provided his input into the previous design philosphy.
Yep. Link?

Quote:
And in return, some would say you got poo graphics in exchange for interactive sidelines (I don't think the graphics were all that bad myself). TheWatcher has a better eye for it than I do though.
I'd argue the point with 2K5, it was pretty top notch graphics in it's day. I wouldn't argue the point on APF2K8, it definitely could have used more detail.
Old 05-18-2009, 01:40 PM   #227
MVP

Bgamer90's Arena

OVR: 26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valdarez
Yep. Link?

I'd argue the point with 2K5, it was pretty top notch graphics in it's day.
Even though Madden 2005 had much better lighting, NFL 2k5 was the best looking football game overall during the time imo.
Old 05-18-2009, 02:03 PM   #228
MVP

RGiles36's Arena

OVR: 34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valdarez
Yep. Link?
Outside The Football Field
Old 05-18-2009, 05:32 PM   #229
Rookie

OVR: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWatcher
LOL.

I actually took that shot from the Patriots sideline. Based on where he stood and what he was reacting to, he's actually supposed to be Josh McDaniel! Why did they do Josh like that in 09? He's a good kid, he didn't deserve that
Wow. That's some awesome raisin-heading by EA. I reckon they're so good at this, they could turn anyone into a raisin-head.
Old 05-19-2009, 01:53 PM   #230
Banned

OVR: 15
Tried to warn you, Madden is BS, either you like it or you dont. They need to fire the entire design team and start over.You need to stop giving them 63 dollars for their crap every year.Think about it, whenever another game was out Madden finished second to it(not in sales,rather gameplay and new ideas)Joe montana sports talk was as good, sony's gameday was so much better that madden didnt release that year,Nfl fever was better, 2k series is better..enough said!!!!!!!!
Old 05-19-2009, 01:56 PM   #231
Pro

Maelstrom-XIII's Arena

OVR: 17

...lemme guess...you still hold your 2kTeddy Bear and cry at night because big bad EA stole the NFL license...

Carolina Panthers - NC State Wolfpack - Charlotte Hornets - Brisbane Roar FC - VfB Stuttgart
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 05-19-2009, 03:13 PM   #232
Rookie

OVR: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maelstrom-XIII
...lemme guess...you still hold your 2kTeddy Bear and cry at night because big bad EA stole the NFL license...
I know I do. It was very upsetting. Where can I get a 2k Teddy Bear though? They sound good. Do you have one?

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »