Home

Test the game before release!

This is a discussion on Test the game before release! within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 05-17-2009, 08:56 PM   #41
Banned

OVR: 5
Re: Test the game before release!

Quote:
Originally Posted by elgreazy1
Simply put there is no way a multi-million dollar product like this should be allowed out of the office with as many bugs and glitches that have been prevalent in the last few releases. THIS IS INEXCUSABLE! EA has far too many resources in both talent & finances to put out a much more polished game than those that have been shipped. To say some of these previous glitches/bugs have made it through testing phases without is a true testament as to how people will basically buy anything at this point.

You don't buy a car with faulty breaks. You don't buy a gun that can't load bullets. You don't buy food that is spoiled. You don't buy an iPod that can't output music. Etc. You shouldn't buy a game that is broken... yet people still do it for whatever stupid reason.

AMEN BROTHA... AMEN!!!
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 05-17-2009, 10:32 PM   #42
*ll St*r

roadman's Arena

OVR: 34

Quote:
Originally Posted by elgreazy1
Simply put there is no way a multi-million dollar product like this should be allowed out of the office with as many bugs and glitches that have been prevalent in the last few releases. THIS IS INEXCUSABLE! EA has far too many resources in both talent & finances to put out a much more polished game than those that have been shipped. To say some of these previous glitches/bugs have made it through testing phases without is a true testament as to how people will basically buy anything at this point.

You don't buy a car with faulty breaks. You don't buy a gun that can't load bullets. You don't buy food that is spoiled. You don't buy an iPod that can't output music. Etc. You shouldn't buy a game that is broken... yet people still do it for whatever stupid reason.
I'm not sure why in the past these things happened, but to say EA has enough in the finances area is a bit of a stretch currently.

Over the past year, EA at it's peak was selling for $52.95/share and a low of $14.24/share. They are currently at $21.03/share. They are still on the low side for the first quarter of this year. They've lost a ton of money and had to lay off people as well. They aren't immune to the present economy.

Plus, I don't know a sports video game that I have purchased withing the past few years that hasn't had at least one patch, sometimes to. That is not immune to EA, either.

http://quote.morningstar.com/Quote/Q...px?ticker=ERTS
Old 05-17-2009, 11:02 PM   #43
Mercy Extended. John 3:16

texbuk84's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stikskillz
If Madden is going to live up to expectations, ultimately the game will have to work! If it features all of the things we've wanted for 4 years the game must be tested thoroughly enough to make all of our wants not become mute because we can't play the game.

From reading the IGN pre hands on review it wasn't very encouraging to hear about all the bugs. Sure they mentioned EA was aware of them. I'm sure EA was aware of players running out of bounds for no reason when the greatest Madden ever was supposed to be coming out last year.

EA needs to test this game and make sure it plays like football. Don't test it a few times, test it day and night for a month or more. If it's not ready push the release date back until it is. I wouldn't mind waiting for a polished game to be ready until around NFL opening day instead of relying on a patch or two down the road. If we're going to spend our money upfront we should expect a completed product.
2nd that. i just want a really good football game thats all. i used to be hung up on 2k( because at that time they where the best) but now I JUST WANT SOME AUTHENTIC FOOTBALL DAMIT!!!!!!! LOL
Devils

2kflightschool.webs.com
Old 05-17-2009, 11:05 PM   #44

texbuk84's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pantherbeast
Thank you. I was bout to say that. How do you expect a human to make something perfect. When we ourselves are not perfect. When you figure that out let me know I will be in the nut house with the rest of the nuts.
Jesus Did. LOL
Devils

2kflightschool.webs.com
Old 05-17-2009, 11:10 PM   #45
MVP

judgejudy's Arena

OVR: 13

I think they need to focus on getting the gameplay right before they start worrying about testing
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 05-17-2009, 11:21 PM   #46

texbuk84's Arena

am i the only one who think that madden 09 was frekkin light years better than 08. i've played 09 and it is amazing compared to 09.
Devils

2kflightschool.webs.com
Old 05-18-2009, 12:12 AM   #47
Pro

OVR: 18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stikskillz
If Madden is going to live up to expectations, ultimately the game will have to work! If it features all of the things we've wanted for 4 years the game must be tested thoroughly enough to make all of our wants not become mute because we can't play the game.

From reading the IGN pre hands on review it wasn't very encouraging to hear about all the bugs. Sure they mentioned EA was aware of them. I'm sure EA was aware of players running out of bounds for no reason when the greatest Madden ever was supposed to be coming out last year.

EA needs to test this game and make sure it plays like football. Don't test it a few times, test it day and night for a month or more. If it's not ready push the release date back until it is. I wouldn't mind waiting for a polished game to be ready until around NFL opening day instead of relying on a patch or two down the road. If we're going to spend our money upfront we should expect a completed product.
This thread is just a huge blanket of negativity.

EA needs to test this game and make sure it plays like football.

How can someone that has no true idea of what is going on behind the scenes, make such a broad generalization about this Madden 10 release?
Old 05-18-2009, 12:31 AM   #48
Pro

OVR: 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by mudman
True, but what you said is 100% irrelevant.

You people act like EA only missed minor bugs last year. EA missed things that 99/100 people found the first time they simulated a draft. You're telling me that all EA's testers missed that? Sorry, the original post is spot on because there were glaring bugs in the game that virtually EVERYBODY caught the first time through the game last year and they should've been caught and fixed before the game ever released.

As usual though, any even remote negativity towards EA gets met with ridiculous insults that aren't backed up at all.
All I stated was what I know dealing with testing. You can have 1000 test cases that cover what your expected result is, and you can do many regression tests and still miss something. If you test only what 1month or 3 weeks which is what I assume they used to do, then you are screwed. Sure the draft crap should have been caught, but I assume other things were caught that were of more importance than the draft at the time.

If something huge is caught, let's say tackling is completely broken and we have a few days left to fix this and the draft, where is my work going to go?

Oh and I insulted no one, So I have no idea what this bold statement has to do with anything. Never said they missed minor bugs, I just stated a fact that testers can never find everything and sometimes the things that seem big to us could have seemed small to them if they had other bugs to fix on their plate.

Meh as a fellow developer ,(non gaming THANK GOD) I find it hard to be so critical about others work unless it is truly piss poor. You can only get so much done in 8 hours and unfortunately EA developers work probably 12 or more a day.

You have earned my respect.

4-6-09

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »