Home

My view on how sports games should be

This is a discussion on My view on how sports games should be within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 05-20-2009, 02:43 PM   #65
Banned

OVR: 5
Re: My view on how sports games should be

Quote:
Originally Posted by CreatineKasey
Madden has such a broad fan base, they need broad features. I think they have to do whatever sells games, and for us online features sell games, but for some it's franchise or presentation that sells games. For that reason I do understand why they try to put in everything.

If I were to be selfish and direct the game however I wanted it for my own enjoyment it'd be exactly how you describe it, but that doesn't really matter. We can hope that this season is kind of "our season" for getting improvements we will particularly enjoy.
amen to that

i hoping madden come correct this year also cause these past madden on next gen are straight disrespect to what i watch i on tv every sunday.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 05-20-2009, 02:44 PM   #66
*ll St*r

roadman's Arena

OVR: 34

Quote:
Originally Posted by JHova1982
on a side note im just bringing a different outlook that i feel should be addressed in sports games cause it seems that people are turning away from the compeition of sports game. i feel that sports games are taking a serious back seat to shooting games.

shooting games and sports games(both genre) should have the same mentality. to battle against other and see who come out on top. shooting modes are simple: story mode, practice, and online or some sort of multiplayer modes and they sell pretty good and i feel that sports should follow that line but a little more complex
That is your outlook, though. That is unique to you.

There is enough room for everyone for franchise, SS and online for everyone to co-exist.
Old 05-20-2009, 02:46 PM   #67
Banned

TooSmart's Arena

i love franchise mode, superstar mode is ok and although i don't play it i can see why some people would. single season alone without the franchise ruins the game. there is no point to a single season rather than franchise mode as you pointed out before. there is no room for improvement, signing free agents, creating a dominating dynesty in season mode. this is why i think that franchise mode is a must and the single season option is the one that could be eliminated. also, just because you don't like certain game options doesn't mean that other people don't. madden was created for all football fans not just you!
Old 05-20-2009, 02:55 PM   #68
MVP

MelMan1486's Arena

OVR: 12

Quote:
Originally Posted by TooSmart
i love franchise mode, superstar mode is ok and although i don't play it i can see why some people would. single season alone without the franchise ruins the game. there is no point to a single season rather than franchise mode as you pointed out before. there is no room for improvement, signing free agents, creating a dominating dynesty in season mode. this is why i think that franchise mode is a must and the single season option is the one that could be eliminated. also, just because you don't like certain game options doesn't mean that other people don't. madden was created for all football fans not just you!
+1

Even though I'm connected to the internet I don't go online or download the updated rosters, does that mean they should be taken out of Madden? All I do is fire up franchise and start my Bills dynasty. No offense but this post is kind of selfish.
Old 05-20-2009, 02:55 PM   #69
Banned

OVR: 24

Single season may work with baseball games, seeing how that's a 162 game season. I.e., after just one season playing all 162 games,plus playoffs if I make it, I'm ready for the next installment......

But the NFL's only 16 games, +playoffs. The whole season could be played in maybe 8-12 hours, depending.Then what? We wait another 6-9 months for the next installment?

Naw, I'd rather go into offseason mode, draft, release, sign free agents, import NCAA classes, manage my players, make stadium upgrades, (if applicable), etc. to keep me occupied till the following season starts. Or, like Madden 08, sit and pout about that horrible game till the next installment....lol.....

Either way, my point is franchise is exceedingly important in Madden to keep its longevity. Poor or no franchise=early trade in, at least for me.
Old 05-20-2009, 02:59 PM   #70
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadman
That is your outlook, though. That is unique to you.

There is enough room for everyone for franchise, SS and online for everyone to co-exist.
i know that. im not trying to put my beliefs on anyone. im just express what i feel sports games need thats all

simple modes, complex gameplay and presentation, online, editing capabilities.

i mean i believe we could of gotten alot things into madden. i believe we can get different stadium announcers, cheerleaders, referees, pro tak could have been here a year or two ago. etc....

the disk can only take so much space so i know developers have to either delete something or not work on things that was provided in previous years. like when u making CD u cant put 20 five minutes songs on one discs cause the limit is 70 or 80 min on it. you have to delete something, that same thing goes for game discs as well

without franchise and superstar modes how much the gameplay and presentation and authenticity improvements of the NFL can really be expressed??? that is the question

i believe its way more than what we been getting so far.

Last edited by JHova1982; 05-20-2009 at 03:21 PM.
Old 05-20-2009, 03:05 PM   #71
*ll St*r

roadman's Arena

OVR: 34

Quote:
i know that. im not trying to put my beliefs on anyone. im just express what i feel sports games need thats all

simple modes, complex gameplay and presentation, online, editing capabilities.

i mean i believe we could of gotten alot things into madden. i believe we can get different stadium announcers, cheerleaders, referees, pro tak could have been here a year or two ago. etc....

the disk can only take so much space so i know developers have to either delete something or not work on things that was provided in previous years. like when u making CD u cant put 20 five minutes songs on one discs cause the limit is 70 or 80 min on it. you have to delete something, that same thing goes for game discs as well

without franchise and superstar modes how much the gameplay and presentation and authenticity improvements of the NFL can really be expressed??? that is the question

i believe its way more than what we been getting so far?
I understand what you are saying, but this is all personal for you. Do you understand how much revenue and sales Madden would lose if they announced, no franchise mode from now on. That is a big chunk of change you would be losing.

As far as your last question, it's really irrelevant. Gameplay and presentation have their own departments or team that works within that team. You are not spreading anyone thin by having SS or franchise mode in the game.

By all means, try to take a poll. Find out how many people play franchise. I think you would be surprised.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 05-20-2009, 03:09 PM   #72
MVP

OVR: 26

Quote:

i believe its way more than what we been getting so far?
Not much.

Many people have stated that the issue is not the fact they are running out of space on the disk. The issuse is the game is running at 60 fps and having the graphics like we currently do, our systems dont have the ability(ram or whatever it is) to keep up.

Add to the fact that there are several teams in madden and not just a single group of guys working on the game like roadman stated...You can see how little there is to gain by removing game modes.

http://www.operationsports.com/forum...all-field.html

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian_Cummings_EA
Oh how I wish this wasn't the case! I feel so defeated when it comes to interactive sidelines.

Glorious Arc you are correct, there are a lot of 'clones' throughout the crowd and sidelines. They do actually animate during the play, but sometimes the camera guys and other random 'non players' animation data isn't saved into the replay (this is because of memory constraints...RAM, not HD).

As I think everyone is well aware, EVERY company that moved to 360 / PS3 went nuts on graphics. Well when the planning was done for graphical level of detail here at Tiburon, it was done to get the a.) absolute maximum amount of detail on 22 players on the field and b) insanely high-res stadiums. Extra characters really weren't considered because the player detail was so important, which is why it's been so hard getting new stuff in. That's why you haven't seen coaches in realtime on the sideline, or refs or chain gang either. All the initial planning and asset creation for the transition was done for 22 guys (at 30fps btw)...so it's been extremely difficult to make big global reductions as well as maintain 60 fps. Also, now that people are used to the visual fidelity of the game, we would take a lot of heat if the game started looking much worse graphically. I only wish that we had accounted for like 50 full-res guys.

APF2k8 decided to reduce the overall quality on their players, stadiums, environments, etc a little bit in order to have 22 EXTRA full-res players on the sidelines (instead of basic low-res clones). That's how they got the really killer interactions where the players catch you or you roll them over or whatever. I loved those...and no, those won't be in Madden NFL 10.

Personally (and I am not expressing the opinion of anyone else or of my employers), I'm of the mindset that MORE fully interactive characters = more immersion and "wow moments" to the user than having insane detail with fewer characters. Case in point - Dead Rising:

I really could care less what the graphics look like when I truly feel 100% immersed in that world (and in the story) because there are always 800 zombies around. I think NBA 2k has done an amazing job here as well - the guys get up for subs, the dude comes out and mops, and it's all realtime (they do have the luxury of a relatively tiny environment and only 10 players in the action at once though too).

So what do you guys think? As we move to the future, what is more important to you? Would you rather have the extra details (like the holes in the jerseys), or much less details on the players and the environment and more extra characters (that animate in a smarter manner) around the playing field? I'd be interested to hear your thoughts.

Last edited by Glorious Arc; 05-20-2009 at 03:12 PM.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »