Home

Madden NFL 10 Blog: Blocking Improvements Part 2 - The Run Game

This is a discussion on Madden NFL 10 Blog: Blocking Improvements Part 2 - The Run Game within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 05-25-2009, 12:03 PM   #49
All Star

Valdarez's Arena

OVR: 51
Re: Blog is up! Run blocking improvements...

This definitely look better than Madden '09, where the NT seemed to blow up every play.

What difficulty setting is the example below running on? And what where the line assignments by the defense? I'm just curious because that's one heck of a large hole that was created for the running back and there is a lot of movement going on. Will movement always be 'away' from the gap the running back is running towards?

More importantly, as the difficulty increases how does the line play become more aggressive? Do we see less movement, more special moves for quick tackles, player with higher PA allowing for better position (getting of their blockers / moving to the ball faster), or other?

The biggest problem I had with the running game in Madden '09, other than the uber godly NT, was with lead blocking. Once I maxed out the slider setting on Madden, guys couldn't get a block for nothing. I had one player where three of my guys lined up like an arrow, the perfect pocket block setup. Only to have one single DB run down the field, go right through the middle of all three of them, and I mean literally through the middle. Not a single player even attempted to block him or made a move in his direction. It was as if he wasn't on the field to them. He went through untouched and hit me square for the tackle. It was crazy.

I have complained about APF2K8's lead blocking, primarily due to the missed block scenarios such as the one I just gave, and the lack of realistically shedding blocks. Madden '09 was far worse however in the missed blocks area... and I mean, far, far worse, to the point it was more frustrating, than fun running the ball. I ended up passing 90/10 in Madden, when I'm typically a down the line 50/50 run/pass player. In Madden, blocks were consistently missed, when they were made, they were held for too short a duration, making them all but worthless. Has Madden '10 done anything to address the lead blocking issues of Madden '09?
Old 05-25-2009, 12:04 PM   #50
Pro

OVR: 8

I was most impressed with the 3rd video.

Not only was there a double team block but the guy peeled off to stop the LBs from blitzing.

/rummages to go get $5 to reserve Madden10

You have earned my respect.

4-6-09

Last edited by lint; 05-25-2009 at 12:12 PM. Reason: failed English
Old 05-25-2009, 12:05 PM   #51
Banned

OVR: 18

Ian, I was wondering if the improved blocking this year had an influence on holding calls and penelties.

with all the coding that was implemented, was it tricky to throw in holding calls. will we see more of them or is that slider dependent??

great blog , and thanks for the feedback .
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 05-25-2009, 12:09 PM   #52
RKO!!

PantherBeast_OS's Arena

OVR: 53

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valdarez
This definitely look better than Madden '09, where the NT seemed to blow up every play.

What difficulty setting is the example below running on? And what where the line assignments by the defense? I'm just curious because that's one heck of a large hole that was created for the running back and there is a lot of movement going on. Will movement always be 'away' from the gap the running back is running towards?

More importantly, as the difficulty increases how does the line play become more aggressive? Do we see less movement, more special moves for quick tackles, player with higher PA allowing for better position (getting of their blockers / moving to the ball faster), or other?

&nbsp
&nbsp

The biggest problem I had with the running game in Madden '09, other than the uber godly NT, was with lead blocking. Once I maxed out the slider setting on Madden, guys couldn't get a block for nothing. I had one player where three of my guys lined up like an arrow, the perfect pocket block setup. Only to have one single DB run down the field, go right through the middle of all three of them, and I mean literally through the middle. Not a single player even attempted to block him or made a move in his direction. It was as if he wasn't on the field to them. He went through untouched and hit me square for the tackle. It was crazy.

I have complained about APF2K8's lead blocking, primarily due to the missed block scenarios such as the one I just gave, and the lack of realistically shedding blocks. Madden '09 was far worse however in the missed blocks area... and I mean, far, far worse, to the point it was more frustrating, than fun running the ball. I ended up passing 90/10 in Madden, when I'm typically a down the line 50/50 run/pass player. In Madden, blocks were consistently missed, when they were made, they were held for too short a duration, making them all but worthless. Has Madden '10 done anything to address the lead blocking issues of Madden '09?
Well as we can see here on all the videos The blocking and the defense pursuit is looking great. All because of the pro tak. I am happy bout all this. This look far better then it was in 09.
Old 05-25-2009, 12:10 PM   #53
Pro

OVR: 12

why do the running backs still run funny? they kinda runn like robots still. they should be lower to the ground, not standing up straight.
Old 05-25-2009, 12:14 PM   #54
Banned

shotgun styles's Arena

OVR: 16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valdarez

There are way too many whiffs on offense. Yes, a guy may be hard to block, but the offensive player should not just RUN RIGHT BY HIM. That's terrible.
Old 05-25-2009, 12:15 PM   #55
MVP

g2thecore's Arena

OVR: 22

I have to agree with Valdarez on the size of the hole, that was a HUGE hole. Furthermore, I'm still not happy with the run cycles. I'm hoping this is not the final run animations, and that Simon is still tuning them.

Otherwise, I love the run blocking improvements. I love to run the ball, so any improvements to make the run game more realistic is welcomed. Good job as always, I'm very excited for E3 now!
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 05-25-2009, 12:15 PM   #56
MVP

OVR: 15

Great job Ian, I really like how your looking at so many aspects of this game and trying to find ways to improve on it.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »