Home

User controlled power or finesse move

This is a discussion on User controlled power or finesse move within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 05-26-2009, 01:56 AM   #33
Pro

parrothead's Arena

OVR: 9
Re: User controlled power or finesse move

Remember the ol' engage, and spin in place trying to get free. I thing that was on last gen though.
Old 05-26-2009, 11:25 AM   #34
Pro

Smoke316's Arena

OVR: 14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian_Cummings_EA
Valid concern, but luckily this isn't the case - a guy with 88 in both ratings is way better than a guy with just 90 in one. Why? Because he has more ways to get around the blocker. If an OL has really bad Run Block footwork but good Run Block Strength, then the dual-88 guy would be trying to use his finesse moves to win (he picks which move to play based on the difference he detects between himself and the blocker), while the 90 rated power guy would only have power to use, and the blocker would be better prepared for him.
Quick question Ian, if the right analog is used for these moves, what will be used to the pass/run commit?

Modest in Speech..Superior in Action

Hit me on Twitter - SeanSemps
Old 05-26-2009, 11:44 AM   #35
Rookie

The Clairvoyant's Arena

OVR: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian_Cummings_EA
Valid concern, but luckily this isn't the case - a guy with 88 in both ratings is way better than a guy with just 90 in one. Why? Because he has more ways to get around the blocker. If an OL has really bad Run Block footwork but good Run Block Strength, then the dual-88 guy would be trying to use his finesse moves to win (he picks which move to play based on the difference he detects between himself and the blocker), while the 90 rated power guy would only have power to use, and the blocker would be better prepared for him.
I love this new feature, great job Ian!
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 05-26-2009, 11:45 AM   #36
MVP

OVR: 26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smoke316
Quick question Ian, if the right analog is used for these moves, what will be used to the pass/run commit?
I am pretty sure it will be done pre-snap now. I think I saw it being used pre-snap in NCAA. Check out the NCAA videos.

My question is what is the hitstick now?

One of my wishlist items was to have each defensive line move done by a button and rating. This would mean instead of a plain power/finesse move, you would have spin, rip, ect ect. You would also have a button to use each different move.

I am going to hold final judgement until I get to play with it but I think right now making what move happens automatic is not going to end well.
Old 05-26-2009, 03:21 PM   #37
Pro

Smoke316's Arena

OVR: 14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glorious Arc
I am pretty sure it will be done pre-snap now. I think I saw it being used pre-snap in NCAA. Check out the NCAA videos.

My question is what is the hitstick now?

One of my wishlist items was to have each defensive line move done by a button and rating. This would mean instead of a plain power/finesse move, you would have spin, rip, ect ect. You would also have a button to use each different move.

I am going to hold final judgement until I get to play with it but I think right now making what move happens automatic is not going to end well.

Ok that make sense. I could see where the issue comes in with the automatic moves although i dont mind having it here. Maybe the spin move wil be to spin the analog, while swim moves will me an up and down movement? The hitstick is the only issue i have.. i dont have to be going into a hit stick motion right into an OL. Maybe we'll have to hold down the left analog while moving the analog for moves and release it for hitstick? This is why i called for a detailed instruction manual a few weeks ago.

Modest in Speech..Superior in Action

Hit me on Twitter - SeanSemps
Old 05-26-2009, 04:23 PM   #38
MVP

cam21224's Arena

OVR: 12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bump101
No doubt. As I mentioned in my earlier post, if I'm "hoping" the computer do a rip to the inside but instead it does a spin to the outside or even a spin to the inside, I'll be real upset because all my player had to do was rip hard to the inside to make the play. It would be another "the computer is cheating moment" that I thought Ian and co. was trying to eliminate in madden 10.

+1
Old 05-26-2009, 04:41 PM   #39
Rookie

OVR: 5

I think this is great!!!

I do not think the comparisons to a halfback are very strong. You have one half-back on the field at a time, compared to three or four d-lineman at a time. There is much less to remember.

Consider that if you switch to a d-lineman after the snap it is much better to not have to think:
1) Which d-lineman is this?
2) Was this guy's power move or finesse move higher?
3) They were quite similar, what about the o-lineman?
4) Is this guard good with footwork or strength?
5) I think footwork, I'll go with power move
6) Hit RB

Instead:
1) Down on right stick

If you are after realism I think this is the key, in real life the d-lineman knows his strengths and those of the o-lineman he is lined up against. So in real life he will be using techniques that are optimal. Why not let him do that in the game too? This way you can do that without having to fill your head with way too much video game knowledge.

So in my opinion, sounds great!
Old 05-26-2009, 04:52 PM   #40
Hall Of Fame

OVR: 40

I could go either way on this. I don't have a problem with it the way Ian described it as long as the Dlineman is not doing the same power move. Surprise me. If he has power moves, don't just do bull rush, but also perform the push and pull or actually allow me to do more than one power move. There is something about having a choice though. I think having it like it is though is good for positions like inside linebacker. Especially when you are playing against the run. You do not have time to be thinking about a host of moves. You need your guy to be specific.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »