Home

Progression in Franchise Mode

This is a discussion on Progression in Franchise Mode within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?
View Poll Results: Should attributes like speed, strength and throw power progress in franchise mode?
Yes. They should all progress as much as the other attributes 14 9.27%
Yes, but only a small amount (ex: +3 or 4 over their entire career) 76 50.33%
Speed shouldn't change, but players can get train to get stronger 57 37.75%
No. speed and strength should not progress 4 2.65%
Voters: 151. You may not vote on this poll

Old 05-27-2009, 10:29 PM   #25

Deegeezy's Arena

OVR: 15
Re: Progression in Franchise Mode

Yeah I'd have to agree with the other people here. STR is definitely an attribute that should not be frozen. It is the one attribute nearly ever player is guaranteed to progress at once they reach the NFL.

In fact, I don't know if it would be totally inaccurate to say that this is the one attribute that MOST guys never regress at during their career. Players lose speed as the get into their mid to late 30s but their strength threshold usually holds up into their mid-40s (a few years into retirement).

I think the fix for this would just make the increases less incremental rather than freezing it all together. I do however agree on the SPD rating being frozen if that's the easiest fix.

Another good way to simulate a player aging would be to slowly decrease his stamina rating.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 05-27-2009, 10:38 PM   #26
Pro

OVR: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pantherbeast
Well the only true way you will be able to find this out when you get the game and try it out for yourself.
Definitely hearing ya on that one.

I think i'm just still bitter towards IGN where they were talking about the new progression system for 09 and had examples which looked good but final game progression system turned out to be complete **** just like Madden 08.

So that's why i'm keen for EA themselves to provide a blog on progression where they have simmed seasons them selves and show us stats, progression, regression etc.

EDIT: I'm also a bit concerned with the potential rating, and one reason why i'm not 100% sold on it.

A player like Colt Brennan would likely be a 50 something rated player in Madden 10, what would his potential be? Like 75 maybe? What about if I use him and he kills it and ends up playing like the next Drew Brees, will I ever see him go to a 90 OVR?
Old 05-27-2009, 10:49 PM   #27
Banned

OVR: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jono078

So that's why i'm keen for EA themselves to provide a blog on progression where they have simmed seasons them selves and show us stats, progression, regression etc.

EDIT: I'm also a bit concerned with the potential rating, and one reason why i'm not 100% sold on it.

A player like Colt Brennan would likely be a 50 something rated player in Madden 10, what would his potential be? Like 75 maybe? What about if I use him and he kills it and ends up playing like the next Drew Brees, will I ever see him go to a 90 OVR?
That is exactly my feeling. I just want a realistic progression. I mean Tom Brady would of been rated a 50 back in the day...Bledsoe got hurt and he got better game by game to become the player he is today. I hope that it would be able to emulate that.
Also, I do not like the freezing of attributes like strength...or as Kenny Smith on TNT says...strenff...
Old 05-27-2009, 10:53 PM   #28
Earlwolfx on XBL

Cusefan's Arena

OVR: 35

Just think of how far we have come. Go back and Play Madden 06 and sim 30 years (you get a nice little achievement for it), I guarantee you that you will not have a player rated 70 or higher. I think the best player in the NFL was a QB who was a 68 overall.
Old 05-27-2009, 10:55 PM   #29
MVP

OVR: 11

Quote:
Originally Posted by stux
I don't like the idea of not AT ALL either.

Went from one extreme to the other.

Speed and Strength CAN change and it happens a lot in the NFL.

RB bulk up loose speed and gain strength AP this off season.

Lineman loose weight/strength and gain speed, end of Warren Sapp's career.

You see my point. There should be a range for each player from where they start. Maybe +/- 5-7%? Something like that in either direction from where they start.
Players never gain speed in the NFL, unless they loose weight.
They lose speed when they get older.
They do get stronger though, I think strength not progressing is dumb. WR's and DE get stronger after their rookie year all the time, they spend load of time in the weight room.
Old 05-27-2009, 11:02 PM   #30
Pro

JeriousNorwood's Arena

OVR: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by bxgoods
Players never gain speed in the NFL, unless they loose weight.
They lose speed when they get older.
That's what I was getting at. Everyone is talking about players who shed pounds and gain pounds to become faster/stronger. However, in Madden, players do not change weights, so until that happens, I like the way progression is going to work.
Old 05-27-2009, 11:05 PM   #31
Banned

OVR: 12

If it is in the game.....

Well it doesn't really matter Josh said it is probably head towards the Head Coach system, which is a good thing.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 05-27-2009, 11:09 PM   #32
Rookie

Lodeus's Arena

OVR: 8

Progression is one of my main concerns with Madden 10. I hate it when I do a Dallas franchise and get Roy Williams like 80 receptions, 1200 yrds, and like 11 TDs and he doesn't progress.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »