Home

Madden Commentary:Hammond needs to go!

This is a discussion on Madden Commentary:Hammond needs to go! within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?
View Poll Results: Who would you like to hear on Madden Commentarry with Collinsworth?
John Madden 24 9.92%
Al Michaels 108 44.63%
Mike Tirico 46 19.01%
someone else not named 64 26.45%
Voters: 242. You may not vote on this poll

Old 05-28-2009, 11:56 PM   #49
Semi-retired

BrianFifaFan's Arena

OVR: 50
Re: Madden Commentary:Hammond needs to go!

Quote:
Originally Posted by IanCummingsFriend
just a matter of opinion. the guys in 2k just got annoying to me.
See I loved how into the game they were. Yeah, the catch phrases got a little over the top. But they were into it, and read from a script just like Hammond or anyone else does. Hammond is just not a script reader, and it shows bad. I have never heard a videogame commentary so bad, including the radio guy. Like you said, matter of opinion... peace!

P.S. did i say that Hammond was bad!bad bad bad bad...

A great product sells itself, no "back of the box" features required! (See Fifa...)

Old 05-29-2009, 12:17 AM   #50
Rookie

OVR: 22

Quote:
Originally Posted by berad88
Al Michaels he is the best.
This ^^^ +10. He, madden, and colinsworth are the best. I think that al michaels and colinsworth should commentate, and madden should do the BACKTRACK!! and do his little yellow circle lines and diagrams again..... those were great. I think that madden should come back for the ask madden thing (with a ton of new lines PLZ!) and also give tutorials on certain new aspects of the game (like he did in 08 for weapons use). If we had this, i don't think the presentation could get any better.

PSN: Gorilla-bob-Mac
Old 05-29-2009, 12:26 AM   #51

SouthernBrick's Arena

OVR: 42

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nature_Boy
Hammonds isn't perfect but I remember that awful radio guy all too well. After listening to him, I will never complain about the commentary again.
Maybe it was because the way the video was edited that he sounded like that. Its unlikely but, the vid was edited and it could have messed with the speech a little bit. I just hope its better next time around.

Commentary is a big part of the the game for me especially if i'm playing the cpu. If i'm playing a human i'm usually talking to them and not really paying attention to the commentary.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 05-29-2009, 12:40 AM   #52
Banned

OVR: 18

Al Michaels would be awesome he is very exciting imo
Old 05-29-2009, 12:57 AM   #53
Banned

OVR: 17

Quote:
Originally Posted by IanCummingsFriend
the actors in 2k blew. get gus johnson
you = joke.
Old 05-29-2009, 01:14 AM   #54
Pro

droopizzle34's Arena

OVR: 18

I don't know guys, Al Michaels was not very good himself on the old xbox. He sounded forced and robotic as well....maybe it was just me.

I'd like to see John Madden return,he use to call out players' names and make a comment about that specific player,which is missing from Madden.

p.s yes I agree,Peter and Dan should be in the video game announcers HOF,along with the NCAAF crew.
Old 05-29-2009, 02:12 AM   #55
Hall Of Fame

TJdaSportsGuy's Arena

OVR: 69

Great idea putting John Madden, a color commentator in this poll to work along side.....wait for it...ANOTHER color commentator. Sorta makes me want to close this thread up on principal, lol.

But nahh, I'll leave it open. Tom Hammond is a great play-by-play man, but that doesn't necessarily make him a great VIDEO GAME play-by-play man.

My vote would go to Bob Papa or Al Michaels. Papa, because he's actually on the NFL Network and Michaels because he'll actually be working with Collinsworth this season on NBC.

But yeah...Hammond must just not be able to envision the plays in his head in order to produce an authentic sounding call.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 05-29-2009, 03:05 AM   #56
Rookie

OVR: 16

I saw that IGN Video and LOVED what I was seeing. What a treat to finally see the game in motion! But then...I started to feel ill. Something didn't fit the beauty I was seeing - it came from my ears....it was Tom Hammond.

I agree with the majority of the vocal guys here - Hammond doesn't fit. IMO, he doesn't match the demographic of Madden. Bluntly speaking between fellow fans, we're all young and hip and he's an old man. We need more testosterone from the play by play guy. More oomph. More energy. More cowbell.

As a fan, I'd really love to see them take the "Nuke and Pave" approach to the commentary next year. It's more than getting a new guy - which will help. I feel that the technology should be redesigned to mimic how a game is called.

Step one is to replace Hammond. Just lose him. Get somebody we can relate to. I don't mean some sucker mc from a Def Jam game - just a guy we'd like to hear while on the sticks. The NY Giants dude who's on NFL now - great choice. If not him - someone similar. If they're over 50 years old and NOT John Madden or Al Michaels - I don't think they belong in Madden NFL '11.

If Ian's going to be the lead designer for Madden NFL '11 (I sure hope so!) - step two is the fun part. Start over. Make the level of intensity RISE the longer a play progresses - just like on Sundays. I know there's no way to put a filter on a recording to mimic an authentic performance from a guy - so I just guess they'll just have to record LOTS and LOTS of threads...and then devise a system to stitch them. I don't know how exactly but someone in that building does. Please put the pieces together to bring it home.

-SeventhWard

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »