Home

Will you play more OFFline or ONline franchise?

This is a discussion on Will you play more OFFline or ONline franchise? within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?
View Poll Results: Which do you prefer?
I like both, but will play more offline franchise 120 40.96%
I like both, but will play more online franchise 41 13.99%
I will ONLY play offline franchise 106 36.18%
I will ONLY play online franchise 22 7.51%
None. I prefer play now or online matches 4 1.37%
Voters: 293. You may not vote on this poll

Old 06-02-2009, 02:21 PM   #73
Banned

sois's Arena

OVR: 24
Re: Will you play more OFFline or ONline franchise?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deegeezy
Can't commit to that. Like many others, life won't allow it.

I am married with a 7 year old and a 5 month old and there is just no way I can revolve my life around online. It sounds fun but it just ain't happening.

I have gotten to the point where the CPU was too easy to play in the past but it hasnt been an issue for me in recent years because I only play about 2, MAYBE 3 games a week so I don't ever get to master the CPU's tendencies, which I guess is a good thing.

---------------

EDIT: The "we like to beat up on the CPU" argument is weak. A lot of ballers such as myself normally quit once we start to blow out the computer too much, IF that ever happens. For me, I either bump up the sliders or quit altogether.

I don't enjoy beating up on the CPU in any way. I WANT to lose games. It's what makes a franchise replayable.

Great, great, great post.

To me, the problem with online sports gaming is simply that it takes too long. COD matches are 10 minutes.

A few questions:
How many offensive plays does each team get in a typical NFL game?
How long does the average play take in terms of seconds?

Maybe this can be the grounds for a "family man" mode. 10-15 minute football games with none of the nonsense. Just call your play and you're already lined up at the line of scrimmage. Think Tecmo Super Bowl.
Old 06-02-2009, 03:03 PM   #74

Deegeezy's Arena

OVR: 15

Quote:
Originally Posted by sois
Great, great, great post.

To me, the problem with online sports gaming is simply that it takes too long. COD matches are 10 minutes.

A few questions:
How many offensive plays does each team get in a typical NFL game?
How long does the average play take in terms of seconds?

Maybe this can be the grounds for a "family man" mode. 10-15 minute football games with none of the nonsense. Just call your play and you're already lined up at the line of scrimmage. Think Tecmo Super Bowl.

The number I shoot for is 60 plays per team. That's a good "sim" number.
Old 06-02-2009, 03:12 PM   #75
Pro

OVR: 10

It's a cool add on, But it seems like too much, I only like playing a game like every 2-3 weeks :P, Thats how I roll
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 06-02-2009, 03:18 PM   #76
Banned

sois's Arena

OVR: 24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deegeezy
The number I shoot for is 60 plays per team. That's a good "sim" number.
It sounds feasible to have a game last 10 minutes with 60 plays per game. If the average play is about 5 seconds long, that is only 5 minutes of actual game play. You would have to give some sort of allowance for time to call plays, touchdown/sack cutscenes (tribute to Tecmo) and various clock issues.

Maybe have some sort of advanced accelerated clock that can tell if you are trying to run down the clock (deep in your own territory, low amount of time left in the half).

I don't know. I just know that tecmo is fun because its fast and you spend about 1 second on the play call screen. Most of the time you are actually playing the game. It's more basketball-ish.
Old 06-02-2009, 03:24 PM   #77
All Star

poster's Arena

OVR: 23

I always play offline franchise due to my schedule. Now that my brother has a 360/PS3, might try one with him although we would both want to be the Bears so not sure how that would work. Would love to do this with him for NCAA, but so far I see no reason to buy the game considering it doesn't have alot of what Madden does.

I might look around to see if I can find a small 4-6 person league with guys who would have a similar schedule, or have similar expectations on how quickly the league would advance. I could make time for one game a week, doubt I could do anything else. Last thing I want is every time I jump on Live to be bombarded with "do you want to play yet", " hurry up", or anything like that.

I love the concept though, glad it is in.
Old 06-02-2009, 03:43 PM   #78
MVP

Tengo Juego's Arena

OVR: 29

I love the idea of being able to have an online franchise. But will play it more offline. Just cause theres no waiting for the week, or your opponent. Its just pick up and go.

Old 06-02-2009, 04:06 PM   #79
MVP

jclentzthadon's Arena

OVR: 15

Quote:
Originally Posted by xanmank
You kinda contradict yourself- you say that it is no fun to play the CPU, but then you say in a later post that 32 teams wouldn't be feasible, so 12 people would be the way to go.

SO... Doesn't that mean you have 20 CPU controlled teams? That means half of your schedule (possibly more) is played against the "boring old CPU"
That is interesting. Is it better to play 31 cpu teams in season and in the playoffs and superbowl or play 20 teams in season and have incredible playoff runs against users with a user vs user superbowl for all the marbles?

I love madden and couldn't get by playing the cpu every single game with no comp. Maybe I'm in the minority, who knows.
Old 06-02-2009, 04:55 PM   #80

SouthernBrick's Arena

OVR: 42

ONline Franchise!!!

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »