Home

A Controller-less Madden in the Future?

This is a discussion on A Controller-less Madden in the Future? within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 06-02-2009, 10:00 AM   #1
Banned

OVR: 11
A Controller-less Madden in the Future?

http://www.cnn.com/2009/TECH/06/01/m...tal/index.html

The possibilities for Madden are obvious, but how welcome would it be? Would it be gimmicky?

Of course, whether EA goes this route in the future is speculative, but if they did, I would hope that it would still be optional to use the traditional controller. I realize I may be in the minority on this one, but in many ways I would still prefer using the controller. Also, wouldn't it be prudent to make it optional anyway for those who suffer from some type of physical disability?

Food for thought. Your thoughts?
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 06-02-2009, 10:07 AM   #2
MVP

OVR: 27
Re: A Controller-less Madden in the Future?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flamehead

The possibilities for Madden are obvious, but how welcome would it be? Would it be gimmicky?

Of course, whether EA goes this route in the future is speculative, but if they did, I would hope that it would still be optional to use the traditional controller. I realize I may be in the minority on this one, but in many ways I would still prefer using the controller. Also, wouldn't it be prudent to make it optional anyway for those who suffer from some type of physical disability?

I assume you are referring to the new and improved Wii sensory system for the 360(Natal) the only games that seem to be used with it are somewhat simple with that weird and creepy "Mylo" and the rest of the games they showed for it seemed waaay to much like the Wii type games...of course this will be successful but not in the hardcore gamers eyes, the Hardcore gamer "species" seems to be dying....slowly...

Currently Playing: Mortal Kombat & Portal 2
Old 06-02-2009, 10:19 AM   #3
Rookie

OVR: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flamehead

Trust me, you are not the minority. Many people I know would NEVER use this new nonsense system. I will use controllers always and every single time I play a console. This gimmick will not make hardcore gamers switch to this Wii-like feature. (Can't Microsoft be creative and come with its own ideas?)

In the future, companies would not make controllers obsolete and settle for the Wii-like controllers, for people have been playing with regular controllers ever since consoles were made. This new feature will perhaps be available in the future as a secondary device, but it will NEVER replace regular controllers.
Old 06-02-2009, 10:23 AM   #4
Donny Baseball!

Skyboxer's Arena

OVR: 55

Mainly because I love tech stuff etc... I'd try it in a heart beat. Like any other new thing it would take time to get it right but that's part of the fun of being a gamer and tech fan.
I'd certainly try it.

Skyboxer OS TWITCH
STEAM
PSN: Skyboxeros
SWITCH 8211-0709-4612
XBOX Skyboxer OS
Old 06-02-2009, 10:31 AM   #5
All Star

OVR: 21

I agree with Skyboxer. I think some "hardcore" folks are trying to write it off too quickly in part because they don't see the potential in the product. My understanding is it recognizes 48 joints and 3D space; for a football game it could be cool being able to better control trajectory on a pass (or if you're not skilled enough over/under throw), to be able to perform wrap tackles, perhaps contort the body of a receiver to make a catch, etc. All lofty goals that would take a lot of programming I'm sure, but I still think the device has a ton of potential that a lot of people would be willing to try out. The hardcore were the first group to write off the Wii before it came out; shouldn't be so quick to make the same mistake twice

XBL gamertag: d0meBreaker22 (that's a zero)

congrats Steelers, city of Pittsburgh, and Steeler Nation - SIX TIME WORLD CHAMPS
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 06-02-2009, 10:46 AM   #6
Banned

OVR: 32

I see tons of potential with this new feature. I think next gen we will see some of the fruits.
Old 06-02-2009, 10:59 AM   #7
MVP

OVR: 16

Quote:
Originally Posted by THUG-Z
This gimmick will not make hardcore gamers switch to this Wii-like feature. (Can't Microsoft be creative and come with its own ideas?)
Um, Nintendo wasn't first with a motion-sensing controller. In fact, Microsoft themselves put out a controller with some motion control over 10 years ago. Nintendo took Microsoft did and improved on it with the Wiimote. And now Microsoft took what Nintendo did and improved on it with Natal. That's usually how innovation happens.

As for a Madden with this, it's possible for some sort of basic casual-friendly mode, but the controller is not going anywhere. There's just a depth to the gameplay that can't be replicated or replaced with motion controls. And that's fine. A standard controller and motion controls can both co-exist in the same space. It's all about giving developers more tools to make good, creative games. Some of those games will use a controller, some will use motion controls. Options are great like that.
Old 06-02-2009, 11:02 AM   #8
Rookie

OVR: 6

i can speak on the physical disability part because I have one, and while I would be able to get up and throw and stuff like that I still think i would be at a disadvantage to someone else. But the possibilities with Natal are amazing

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »