Home

The Mystery of the disapperaing Physics....anyone else seeing this?

This is a discussion on The Mystery of the disapperaing Physics....anyone else seeing this? within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 06-05-2009, 10:45 AM   #33
MVP

SteelerSpartan's Arena

OVR: 20
Re: The Mystery of the disapperaing Physics....anyone else seeing this?

Great Detective work in here guys

This is the biggest issue IMO with the game....and I hope we can keep this thread around long enough to get all the facts and where we go from there

My CFB Teams:
Marshall..WVU-Go Herd/Eeers!!!

Old 06-05-2009, 11:21 AM   #34
49ers

adembroski's Arena

OVR: 43

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWatcher
This is tough for me...

I heard from a very reliable source that it had to be scaled back because it was ruining the gameplay. Defenders weren't reacting properly, even stopping dead in their tracks instead of engaging.

What's sad for me is that the strong weight and momentum is something I spent all Winter posting about. At CD I thought it was really strong and I was happy. But I can't pretend that after seeing the videos that something hasn't changed. There are some obvious differences and I'm very disappointed.

At the end of the day, they have to do what's best for the game to have it actually still function so if they had to scale back, I completely agree with that decision. It's just disappointing knowing how close we were to hitting that mark we'd all wanted. I'm confident that given more time however, Ian and crew will figure this out. It's not something simple enough to nail down 100% the first time out. After all, they were going from barely any weight/momentum to going all out. If at the very least we have something somewhere in between I think it'll be good enough for now.

My last hope is that the tuning tools they put in for Madden 10 work well enough to let us get something comparable to what we expected.
I got the same thing, probably from a different source though. I have from the same source that locomotion is priority #1 for Madden 11, so we just have to hope they've gotta keep slowly pushing it in the right direction.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phobia
Wow if watcher and adem are correct and they had to scale the physics back. Then this is REALLY REALLY REALLY terrible. What is the point of all the Pro-Tak talk of change tackles, blocking, running, etc all based on weight/momentum????

Madden has just went from a must buy, to "I am going to wait and see"
You're misunderstanding me. We're not saying there's no physics worked into the game, we're saying the player movement (running, change of direction) has become more twitchy since we played. That's why i specifically used the word "Inertia" rather than momentum... to differentiate what I was referring too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moostache
I was afraid I would hear something like this from the CD attendees. The overall tone of you guys' comments coming out of that event really seemed to scream - "They fixed the momentum and physics!" And the general disappointment I have inferred from the CD guys afterward (as videos started coming out) was pretty obvious. It all added up to something was changed and not in a positive way. Thank you for the insights.

Is this confirmed "fact" from the devs or is it speculation?

Essentially, everything said here makes perfect sense to me, but I would like to know if it is confirmed or denied by the devs. For instance, the "comeback AI" is denied point blank by Ian in several interviews and blogs, yet many people in the overall community feel that is simply not true.

What is the position of the EA team on this one? Is analog control simply not in the game at all? Is it there but so sensitive that quick movements of the sticks cause animations to not trigger or play?

I would really love to hear more on this...
Analog control refers to two different things, directional 360* degree control is still there, but the speed sensitivity is not. In other words, you have three speeds- dead stop, fast jog, sprint. Directional control is still analog.

The first kind is wrong. The second is superfluous.

The only difference between reality and fiction is that fiction needs to be credible.
-Mark Twain.
Old 06-05-2009, 11:32 AM   #35
Hall Of Fame

OVR: 33

It's gotta be frustrating to hear it, but how is analog control, which is a 5-year-old technology, not in the game? What's more basic to a sport with 22 moving bodies every play than movement?

Three speeds is better than one speed, but I have to think that the inability to implement finer gradations is a talent issue. What other explanation is there for the absence of such gradations at this stage?

There's gotta be a way to get this point across forcibly but politely. This year, priority one was the pocket and OL/DL play, but all indications suggest that this has been accomplished at the expense of the rush. That will have to be tuned next year. If next year's priority is locomotion, I'm curious how that will be interpreted.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 06-05-2009, 11:33 AM   #36
Rookie

OVR: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moostache

Is this confirmed "fact" from the devs or is it speculation?

Essentially, everything said here makes perfect sense to me, but I would like to know if it is confirmed or denied by the devs. For instance, the "comeback AI" is denied point blank by Ian in several interviews and blogs, yet many people in the overall community feel that is simply not true.

What is the position of the EA team on this one? Is analog control simply not in the game at all? Is it there but so sensitive that quick movements of the sticks cause animations to not trigger or play?

I would really love to hear more on this...
I'll just state the facts to avoid ppl accusing me of spouting speculation, in an attempt to cause panic.

1. Analog control was missing from M09 except when on defense and using strafe.

2. This topic was brought up on this board numerous times (by myself and others) early in the development cycle for M10. Ian never responded or acknowledged our complaints during all of his request for input and suggestions.

3. I personally contacted an admin from the themaddenlab.com forum who was attending E3. My question to KoachK was "is analog control and movement in Madden 10" his response was
Attached Images
File Type: bmp KoachK.bmp (415.2 KB, 151 views)

Last edited by datruth; 06-05-2009 at 11:41 AM.
Old 06-05-2009, 11:40 AM   #37
Hall of Fame

JohnDoe8865's Arena

OVR: 59

Well this is very disappointing indeed seeing the "momentum", "inertia", whatever you wanna call it basically missing from the gameplay videos from E3.

Definitely gonna have to reconsider (depending on if it is tuned between now and the time it goes gold) if I can take another year of turning on a dime ...

NFL - Carolina Panthers
NBA - Charlotte Hornets
MLB - Cincinnati Reds
College Basketball - Wake Forest
NCAA Football - Appalachian State
Old 06-05-2009, 12:00 PM   #38
MVP

SteelerSpartan's Arena

OVR: 20

Hopefully some Sliders or something could boost offline play...but still

My CFB Teams:
Marshall..WVU-Go Herd/Eeers!!!

Old 06-05-2009, 12:07 PM   #39
Banned

OVR: 26

Also remember that "SIM" gamers don't represent the majority of Madden.. 90% are Arcade gamers and they don't want that slow down crap when they are trying to make a tackle that may cost them $50 they earned working at the local Best Buy. I'm not saying you shouldn't complain but at the end of the day these guys are trying to sell games.
Old 06-05-2009, 12:10 PM   #40
Rookie

OVR: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnDoe8865
Definitely gonna have to reconsider (depending on if it is tuned between now and the time it goes gold)
Like I said before I'm not a programmer. I believe at this stage of the game its to late to make any major changes. There is no way they can add more locomotion animations and tune them to sync with the new Pro-Tak system in less than a month.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »