Home

Priority logic, time logic related to game clock, out of bounds logic, none skill AI.

This is a discussion on Priority logic, time logic related to game clock, out of bounds logic, none skill AI. within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 06-07-2009, 04:25 PM   #1
MVP

OVR: 12
Priority logic, time logic related to game clock, out of bounds logic, none skill AI.

AI stands for artificial intelligence, it refers to a computers ability to think/mimic a humans intelligence and logic.

This has been a major problem in almost all football games i can remember. While there has been work done on player specific or skill a.i. there seems to be little work done on the on the critical aspect of game situation intelligence. This has a major impact on the feel and realism of games.

Major work has to be done in both coaching logic and player logic in this area. Here are some of the areas that need to be worked on. Add any more that you can think of. This could be a list that IAN and company used next year.

1. Out of bounds logic, end of half, end of game, running out of bounds to conserve time to try to comback for a big deficit. Also, the plays selected by the computer coach should be ones that allow the player to get out of bounds easier.

2. Score Deficit logic: Relating the score "how much your losing by" to the amount of time on the clock. Instead of the computer just showing priority at the end of a game it should know when it has to show priority to score over a longer time period.

3. Punting logic: Relating to the score, the time left, and field position and deciding to go for it or not.

4. Clock management: Logic in deciding when to call a timeout. The computer will call timeouts at the ends of games but many times they don't do it intelligently. Logic should include the 2 minute warning and the likely hood of the other team getting a first down.

5. Defensive Play calling logic. When the computer is down vs a team running the clock it should know when to stack the line, and or call an agressive play to cause a turnover. This may increase the chance of a big play, but if your down, sometimes be agressive is your only option.

Give your opinions, add new area's of logic related to none skill a.i, expand on those i've already listed.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 06-07-2009, 08:33 PM   #2
MVP

RaiderKtulu's Arena

OVR: 13
Re: Priority logic, time logic related to game clock, out of bounds logic, none skill

There is some room for improvement with end-of-game AI... but they can't make it so the CPU always does the "right" thing either.

Screaming at the TV because your team did something stupid at the end of a game and lost is pretty common.
Old 06-07-2009, 08:43 PM   #3
MVP

PGaither84's Arena

OVR: 49
Re: Priority logic, time logic related to game clock, out of bounds logic, none skill

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaiderKtulu
There is some room for improvement with end-of-game AI... but they can't make it so the CPU always does the "right" thing either.

Screaming at the TV because your team did something stupid at the end of a game and lost is pretty common.
If you're a Riaders fan I guess. [ducks]

@ the OP: Agreed, but a few of these things Ian said he has fixed a long while back. Like the range the computer attempts FGs and so forth. i wishI could find the post, but it was months ago.
Old 06-07-2009, 09:21 PM   #4
RKO!!

PantherBeast_OS's Arena

OVR: 53

I am sure Ian and his crew is doing their best to make the computer think more on alot of stuff. But it will never be perfect. But I would love see a good balance between Human and AI while playing. Ian has some work in front of him in the future with this. But I believe madden 10 is going to be good.
Old 06-12-2009, 04:04 PM   #5
MVP

OVR: 12

I hope Ian can comment on this issue.
Advertisements - Register to remove

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »