Home

I'm hoping the developers of the game can take a few extra looks at the run blocking.

This is a discussion on I'm hoping the developers of the game can take a few extra looks at the run blocking. within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 06-10-2009, 04:25 PM   #9
Banned

OVR: 8
Re: I'm hoping the developers of the game can take a few extra looks at the run block

Wow! that ain't the worst of it. Did you see the 50 gamer points awarded for Nano? I'm praying that is there for debugging.
Old 06-10-2009, 04:35 PM   #10
MVP

BezO's Arena

OVR: 20
Re: I'm hoping the developers of the game can take a few extra looks at the run block

I hope they add some real trap plays next year, where a d-linemen is influenced & trapped.
Old 06-10-2009, 04:44 PM   #11
MVP

swaldo's Arena

OVR: 20

The read & react times of the DL are insane. Suppose you're a nose tackle and assigned to defend the run on that play. You're not going to charge through the line like that. Instead, you're going to brace yourself for the impending offensive blockers to come charging at you. So what you do is position yourself to hold your ground, plug holes and hope to make a tackle if the RB comes your direction.

If nobody blocks you, then you'll put your hands up after the snap and read who has the ball and what direction they are going to go. In doing this, there will be a delay before you go rushing into the backfield. You are not going to nail the QB before he even gets his handoff to the RB! And if they pitch or run a sweep you'd run towards the sideline watching for a cutback while positioning yourself for an angle pursuit if the RB makes it through the wall.

Now if a DL was assigned to pass rush I'll buy it. But no matter what it always seems the DL comes flying into the backfield as if they know exactly who has the ball and where it's going. Unfortunately, I highly doubt they have enough time to fix this problem and that would be a shame. In most cases, the ball is supposed to move forward, not backwards.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 06-10-2009, 04:53 PM   #12
Rookie

turfguy23's Arena

OVR: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by swaldo
"It may have just been me but the run blocking seemed to be the weakest aspect of the game. While I was able to break off some really nice runs, I was also stopped in the backfield more than felt should be normal. I consider myself to be a stronger runner than passer in Madden but I really found myself opting to pass far more because of this. The CPU didn’t seem to have the same issue going against me though as shown by how Portis tore me up."

-Pasta Padre-
pastapadre.com

Rushes for negative yardage has plagued so many football games in the past. I really hope the Madden team can put this issue in the grave.
Barry Sanders is the All-time NFL record holder for most negative yards. Barry had 446 carries that totaled 1,114 negative yards.

I find no issue with the amount of negative rushes. It has been part of the game. It is part of the game, and it will continue to be part of the game. But that's just one man's opinion and I know I'm in the minority on this subject. But this does not mean that the running game can't be improved upon. It can always get better.......
Old 06-10-2009, 05:00 PM   #13
Rookie

floridagatorfan's Arena

OVR: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by turfguy23
Barry Sanders is the All-time NFL record holder for most negative yards. Barry had 446 carries that totaled 1,114 negative yards.

I find no issue with the amount of negative rushes. It has been part of the game. It is part of the game, and it will continue to be part of the game. But that's just one man's opinion and I know I'm in the minority on this subject. But this does not mean that the running game can't be improved upon. It can always get better.......
I don't think people are saying they want no negative rushes, just that they would like it tuned to a more realistic amount, and have negative rushes occur because of a defender making a big play not the offensive lineman having blown assignments or poor run blocking logic.
Old 06-10-2009, 05:33 PM   #14
Pro

OVR: 7

If I'm playing with the Giants Oline and I get stopped in the backfield multiple times on All Madden then it will be a problem.
Old 06-10-2009, 07:01 PM   #15
Pro

OVR: 6

There is still not nearly enough lateral movement on zone running plays and plays utilitzing a kick-out or trap block at the point of attack have no real semblance of actual football blocking schemes.

The pass protections still are not true-to-life either.

Hopefully these things are still getting worked on, but I have my doubts.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 06-12-2009, 03:32 PM   #16
Rookie

OVR: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tampa Bay
At 1:14 in the video, it works correctly, but at 1:30 the nose tackle comes through the line untouched and tackles the Qb before he can even get the toss off.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U0PCsonc8QU

Sorry, I'm unable to embed the video.
I didn't see any disastrous moments like this in Ian's gameplay video, and that is definitely a great thing.

I did notice that the pulling lineman were displaying poor awareness in determining who they should block. This has always been a problem with Madden and NCAA. I know the players can't actually see, but they shouldn't pass up a DL or LB that is in close proximity to go after a DB downfield. They should be blocking the first threat that shows. I don't really know how it can be corrected though, but please work on it for next year's game.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »