Home

Madden 10 Team Ratings from PastaPadre

This is a discussion on Madden 10 Team Ratings from PastaPadre within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 06-08-2009, 05:47 PM   #57
Orange and Blue!

Broncos86's Arena

OVR: 31
Re: Madden 10 Team Ratings from PastaPadre

Homers: "lol, my team is underrated, and our rival is overrated."
Old 06-08-2009, 06:15 PM   #58
Pro

Smoke316's Arena

OVR: 14
Exactly lol
Old 06-08-2009, 06:18 PM   #59
All Star

SoxFan01605's Arena

OVR: 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by CatMan72
Right, they are representative of the personnel on the team - so the Cowboys have more talented personnel than the Panthers and can't make the playoffs? I don't buy it.... I don't have a problem with any of the other teams that are ranked higher than the Panthers... but the Cowboys? really? Is this Madden 96 or Madden 10? LOL

I realize all ratings are subjective, but this whole idea of "perceived" talent is ridiculously subjective... there's no way you can convince me that the overall team talent rating of the Cowboys should be higher than the Panthers when the Panthers went into the playoffs as the 2nd best team in the NFC while the Cowboys sat at home (again).
I agree completely with what I bolded...that is my point. Your opinion on the Panther's talent is just that...subjective. Just as any of the rest of ours are. There are plenty who would disagree with your assessment...and I'm sure there are plenty who agree as well.

When I say perceived talent, I'm talking of the level of ability the players are generally perceived to have. Talent, like the ratings, is largely subjective. People are constantly trying to find new ways to better evaluate players for that reason. It's hard to guage just how good a lot of players are in the NFL. It's the ultimate team game...which means a lot of players will be misevaluated because of those surrounding them (for good AND bad, in real life and in Madden)

This is why I don't personally get all bent out of shape about the ratings. We're talking a 3 point difference between the Panthers and Cowboys. That's it...lol. I'm pretty sure I can handle the Cowboys if I use the Panthers in that ratings range. Remember, they stretched the ratings this year. Seems to me that EA felt the talent levels are pretty close. I'd tend to agree. Like I said, if you think Cowboys talent level is overrated, fine. Yet you went back to where they finished in the season which is separate from the issue of the ratings.

The NFC East is BRUTAL. Add in the fact that the Cowboys choked away a few wins at least, fell apart with Johnson as their backup, etc and it gets interesting. That 9-7 could have easily been 12-4 or 13-3...there's not much separating winning teams. As I've said though, that doesn't speak to talent. It speaks to the parody of the NFL and the function of teambuiling that guys like Jerry Jones, Dan Snyder, and Al Davis ignore. Matchups, coaching, preparation, chemistry, toughness, mental acumen (smart play, turnover rate, composure, etc) all play a part. Records don't indicate talent. They simply indicate winning %.

I don't for personally believe the Panthers are a more talented team from top to bottom than the Cowboys...sorry, but that's my opinion on it. It may be close, but I'd personally give the edge to the Cowboys roster. We don't disagree on which is the better team. THAT's not even close, IMO. The Cowboys are a mess for a lot of reasons...talent isn't one of them.

That's also not to say that I think the list or ratings are perfect or will be. I could go on forever about adding more ratings to properly distinguish player types, etc...but that's straying even further fromt he point...lol.

I just think repeatedly bringing up seeding, standings, head-to-head, etc is counter productive to the debate (I'm not saying that's necessarily what you're doing here...I'm just speaking in general). It's irrelevant to the point.

Also, it's odd to me that the biggest arguments are about minor differences. The Giants are rated one more point than the Eagles, Cowboys 3 over the Panthers, the Jets and Bills 1 over the Dolphins, etc. None of those seem that out of whack considering where they grade out talent wise.

The only one that made me really scratch my head is the 10 point difference between the Steelers and the Ravens, as I just don't see that big of a difference in talent level on each team. Then again, the Ravens are getting old in some key areas, so...

Anyway, I'm not really sweating it as:

A. I don't know how the ratings work off eachother in 10 (meaning, for example, the Ravens might win out in certain ratings matchups allowing them to be appropriately competative, etc)

B. I'll just edit them myself if I feel there is too much of a handicap.

I know B doesn't do anything for online play, but I really think good stick skills will likely overcome some of the imbalance in reasonably played head to head matchups anyway. The Lions and Rams might be in trouble...but they should be.

Just my .02 (okay, okay...more like 1.02, but still...lol)
Old 06-08-2009, 06:23 PM   #60
Orange and Blue!

Broncos86's Arena

How someone can love something to the point of murder, then turn around and hate on it to the point of murder, is truly amazing.
Old 06-08-2009, 06:24 PM   #61
Rookie

OVR: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Afrikan
49ers 73

*shakes head*

its ok for now.......but I expect this number to get into the late 80's early 90's by half way through the season.
lmfao... no really, LMFAO
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 06-08-2009, 06:28 PM   #62
Orange and Blue!

Broncos86's Arena

Shouldn't every team be 99 overall right now? I mean, they're all undefeated.
Old 06-08-2009, 06:29 PM   #63
Rookie

OVR: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by mKoz26
There is no element of surprise this year for the 'Fins. They are rated just fine.
My post wasn't about the overall rating. It was about their rating relative to 2 AFC East teams who regressed over the offseason while Miami, the AFC East champs, retained whatever talent they had and were not shaken up by key departures and coaching changes which usually negatively impact a team.
Old 06-08-2009, 06:51 PM   #64
Banned

OVR: 21

Quote:
Originally Posted by NFLHITMAN
LOL man you should share some of that crack with others LOL.
hey hey... you as a Seahawks fan should know how underrated we are....which is understandable since we had Nolan coaching for have of the season last year.....but like I said, lets just wait for the season to start.

but if its a player personal rating thing.

QB situation... Shaun Hill played great late last season when he took over as the starter... he helped knock the Bills out of the playoff picture at Buffalo.....and just Outplayed MR. ESPN, Farvra....49ers just embarrassed those Jets, and help knock them out of the playoff picture as well.

our running game...Gore is reunited with the Fullback who helped him get to the ProBowl...and we have some decent backups..

WRs.... Bruce played way better than I thought he would last year... I thought it was a wasted pickup and I was outright wrong. We Signed Titans WR. Brandon Jones...and we have some good up and coming WRs.......and of course our 1st round draft pick Crabtree.

TEs....Vernon Davis should put alot better stats this year since he is the focal point of the offense, as our new OC has stated......last year he was held in to block for most of the season.

Defense should be better....

Dline is fine with Justin Smith leading the way...with other players I would mention, but you all wouldn't know about.

LBs...we have damn fine set LBs...... with Patrick Willis, Takeo Spikes still playing fine, Manny Lawson finally allowed to rush the passer instead of being dropped back in coverage. and a fine pass rusher in Parys Haralson.

CBs...before Walt Harris got hurt, we had one of the better set of CBs in the League this year....with Nate Clements, Walt Harris, Shawnte Spencer, and some fine depth....but with Harris gone....we signed Dre' Bly....so we'll see how it goes....but if Spencer is healthy this year, he might start over Bly.

Safeties....this is our concern. Michael Lewis is still playing fine....but it was Mark Roman that was killing us last year.....although he was allowed to be brought back...we have a new guy who is the starter.

Kickers/Punters.... we have on of the better kickers in Nedney and a Probowl punter in Andy Lee.

our Coaching should be fine....when Singletary took over our penalties and turnover per game dropped....so the team showed discipline....so hopefully if we lose games this year, its because the other team is just better, where as we giving them the game.

/9er realist/semi homer

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »