Home

% focus for the next iterations dev time.

This is a discussion on % focus for the next iterations dev time. within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 06-08-2009, 04:58 PM   #1
Banned

OVR: 25
Location: Far far away from the vultures and snakes that reside in the united states.
% focus for the next iterations dev time.

40% of the time locomotion. 40% of the time #s crunching under the hood. 10% of the time tightning up pro tak. 10% of the time for extra presentation features.

Thats for the devs. Your gold with this, trust me.

(I know cats gonna say, since when did you become a developer, lol)

Just throwing this out there at the moment. If anyone is inclined to respond to this thread, then I will return and explain my #s
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 06-08-2009, 05:04 PM   #2
MVP

Outkizast's Arena

OVR: 12
Re: % focus for the next iterations dev time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCreep
40% of the time locomotion. 40% of the time #s crunching under the hood. 10% of the time tightning up pro tak. 10% of the time for extra presentation features.

Thats for the devs. Your gold with this, trust me.

(I know cats gonna say, since when did you become a developer, lol)

Just throwing this out there at the moment. If anyone is inclined to respond to this thread, then I will return and explain my #s
as long as progressive lighting is somewhere in there...
Old 06-08-2009, 05:15 PM   #3
Live Action, please?

jfsolo's Arena

OVR: 20

Some people would be happy with that, but most would not. That 40% for "crunching under the hood" is too vague, with so much time being devoted to that, what would it specifically entail.

Franchise mode needs to be taken to another level, both online and offline.

Peter Moore and those above him aren't going to let a new iteration come out with some new marketable feature.

Games that expect to sell big numbers can never ignore graphics.

Superstar, has to be either canned, or improved-they can't go two straight years without significantly improving that mode.

What's ironic is that if they did have that kind of limited focus, the game would probably be a really outstanding game, but you would have legions of people calling it "Madden 10.5"

Do this today: Instead of $%*#!@& on a game you're not going to play or movie you're not going to watch, say something good about a piece of media you're excited about.

Do the same thing tomorrow. And the next. Now do it forever.
Old 06-08-2009, 07:57 PM   #4
Banned

Location: Far far away from the vultures and snakes that reside in the united states.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfsolo
Some people would be happy with that, but most would not. That 40% for "crunching under the hood" is too vague, with so much time being devoted to that, what would it specifically entail.

Franchise mode needs to be taken to another level, both online and offline.

Peter Moore and those above him aren't going to let a new iteration come out with some new marketable feature.

Games that expect to sell big numbers can never ignore graphics.

Superstar, has to be either canned, or improved-they can't go two straight years without significantly improving that mode.

What's ironic is that if they did have that kind of limited focus, the game would probably be a really outstanding game, but you would have legions of people calling it "Madden 10.5"
First let me start by saying, the implementation of the pro tak system and the marriage of 2ks cutscenes with the madden engine is the base game we've been waiting for. From this base, the #s I put down should work pretty well.

1. 40% for crunching #s. There was a recent thread by Ian which gave us a glimpse of an email from one of the team members stating that a glaring CB/WR interaction problem was fixed. Thats great, but this LATE in the dev process?

Just short of half dev time should be utilized (starting as soon as the guys vacation is over) for getting under the hood and tweaking #s to properly recreate the correct actions on field. From the email, its seems complicated, and the fact that they're still tweaking just goes to show this should be a priority from the start of 2011 development.

I mean tweaking #s, then taking individual players on field to see results with various combos of Human/CPU control. Going back, tweaking the #s again and running the process over and over until desired results. That would probably take awhile. I'm thinking 30 to 40% dev time strictly for this.

2. 40% locomotion/momentum. If you add in a hard footplant for players and they're no longer able to turn on a dime, it is going to change the WHOLE dynamic of how the game is played.

Those couple of seconds it takes for a player to change direction, compared to NO change direction delay (turning on a dime) that we have now will drastically change pursuit, which in turn will drastically effect scores and yards gained.

This goes back to my 40% #s crunching. Both of these issues (if the dev team really wants to iron them out) are going to take big chunks of dev time. These two issues will have to be worked on hand in hand, side by each.

If you have slower cutback animations( because of the footplant), your going to have to go back and tweak the #s again to go along with the animations.

If for example, you have a CBs under the hood numbers reacting to recievers who turn on a dime, your going to have to change those numbers to accurately reflect when covering a reciever who now actually plants his feet. You'll also have to tweak for the CB himself who now has footplant animations. That couple of seconds will make a huge difference.

3. 10% for pro tak. I dont think alot of time needs to be devoted to this aspect of the game. Its implemented and of course will probably have a few issues which can be ironed out without much struggle. The base is there and I'll go out on a limb and say for the most part it probably works just fine. Small tweaks next year will suffice.
Old 06-09-2009, 08:18 AM   #5
Banned

So whats the general opinion on these #s. Any devs wanna chime in, feel free.
Advertisements - Register to remove

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »