Home

Will we be able to see a true 3-4 defense this year???

This is a discussion on Will we be able to see a true 3-4 defense this year??? within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 06-08-2009, 05:49 PM   #1
Rookie

OVR: 8
Will we be able to see a true 3-4 defense this year???

I haven't seen any double teams or chip blocks on any E3 vids yet. This is scary people as a player who loves defense its no use to use the ravens, pats, cowboys, jets, steelers, etc who use the 3-4. Nagata and Hanyesworth are true beast who get double/triple teamed block and free the linebackers for run plays and blitzes.

Can anyone please confirm that this is fixed or being worked on?
R.I.P Sean Taylor #21

Washington Redskins
Los Angeles Lakers

XBOX 360 Gamertag: HOLLYWOOD III
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 06-08-2009, 06:13 PM   #2
MVP

OVR: 13
Re: Will we be able to see a true 3-4 defense this year???

Quote:
Originally Posted by hollywood21
I haven't seen any double teams or chip blocks on any E3 vids yet. This is scary people as a player who loves defense its no use to use the ravens, pats, cowboys, jets, steelers, etc who use the 3-4. Nagata and Hanyesworth are true beast who get double/triple teamed block and free the linebackers for run plays and blitzes.

Can anyone please confirm that this is fixed or being worked on?
I don't think I've seen O-line / D-line double teams either, and if they're not in the game, then I'd say no on the "true" 3-4 D.
Old 06-08-2009, 07:32 PM   #3
Nza
MVP

OVR: 16

I was sure M10 would address dominant DT's and NT's requiring doubles, but I guess it isn't the case. Very hush hush on it too. A little disappointing because it could have been the first time in Madden a player on D can truly make an impact almost every single play whether you're controlling him or not.

An offense having to account for an elite DE/DT or pass rushing OLB with doubles and chips would have been an impressive feature.
Old 06-08-2009, 07:46 PM   #4
Hall Of Fame

OVR: 40

I've seen doubles in quite a few vids from E3. The only problem with reference to your question is the defense was in 4-3 not 3-4.

Also let's be clear with how often we think a guy should be doubled. Guys don't get doubled every play. Also I think this would be different if the DLine fired into gaps. Let me revisit the 4-3 Double teams that I saw. I saw a couple in the Seahawks vs Skins vids on Pasta Padre's site. But if you look at it, the double happens because the DT is lined up in the gap. And this to me is how it is going to work. It would also be nice if they did it like 2k did it. You could have the NT lined up head up Center and call gap right and the NT would fire down to the right A gap. The Center would block one shoulder and the Guard would pick up the other. I'm not sure our Dline is gonna have that kinda movement against the run I hope it does or we will not have anything that mimics run fits and that will be a travesty.
Old 06-08-2009, 08:02 PM   #5
Rookie

OVR: 5

This is really the only thing still bothering me about the game. Seriously, everything I've had problems with has been at least addressed except this.

To be honest, that's pretty great to have everything else addressed. But this one thing is still bothering me. But again, I don't want to sound like I don't appreciate what's been done so far.

I'd like to at least hear them talk about what they're doing, or trying to do, or why they can't do it. They've said why they can't get some other things to work, or if they're working on something. I guess I'd just like to hear a similar statement on the double-team blocks and the 3-4 in general.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 06-08-2009, 08:49 PM   #6

Deegeezy's Arena

OVR: 15

I plan to run a 34 so double-teaming would be nice.

I imagine the problems the programmers run into are a.) which players command a double team and what rating would be used for this b.) how does the user command his interior lineman to double and when. Does the CPU just do it automatically if a player meets a certain ratings criteria? c.) what if the user doesn't want to block a certain player at a particular moment?

Something has gotta be done though because in Madden, the 3-4 has never worked the way it should.
Old 06-08-2009, 10:03 PM   #7
RKO!!

PantherBeast_OS's Arena

OVR: 53

Ya it would nice to be able to see more DBL Team on those big nose tackles and all that. I hope it will happen this year.
Old 06-08-2009, 10:06 PM   #8
Rookie

OVR: 6

hell, not just the 3-4, but even goot DT's/DE's should be getting doubled, or at least chip blocks from the RB on guys like Mario Williams, Jared Allen Osi etc.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »