Home

THE Ultimate Madden Debate...

This is a discussion on THE Ultimate Madden Debate... within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 06-09-2009, 05:17 PM   #17
MVP

cdon2k's Arena

OVR: 20
Re: THE Ultimate Madden Debate...

I think there can be a balance, but I did not like what happened last year with the Colts. I tried and tried to set up the run with the pass, but LB's being in the backfield nullifying the stretch. In addition, the sprint suction made the draw infective. What I am saying is when you go for accurate representations with holes combined with game play bugs, the results can be very bad. I am all for individual team attributes, but with Madden's rep for something always being broken, I am not sure this franchise can handle it.
Old 06-09-2009, 05:21 PM   #18
MVP

BezO's Arena

OVR: 20

What would be the point of selecting one team or another without strenghths & weaknesses of each represented? How do I experience the Lions if they play like the Cardinals?
Old 06-09-2009, 05:33 PM   #19
Pro

parrothead's Arena

OVR: 9

Do they still have individual Team Coaching sliders? That used to help, you could go in and change a team/coaches play call percentages, and styles. I know this was on PC not sure about everywhere else. You had to control every team, but it was worth it.
Old 06-09-2009, 05:44 PM   #20
MVP

OVR: 21

I think some guys have lost sight that you gotta run with what you brung. The Lions in the hands of a good player will beat a team thats more talented in the hands of a scrub. The lions in the hands of a good player will give a good game to someone else good with a better team. He may or may no win, but good players will find a way to win with what they got.

Live out your fantasy #1 Lions team in franchise mode. Online if you want to play with the Lions you better be a great player if you expect to win with them.

Thats my opinion.

Co-sign on creatines post also.

By the way, The first time I played Creatine online(2K8) I beat him. I attribute it more to he had never faced my style before and I had him on his heels most of that game. I have not beat him since. Its not all about the players on your squad, YOU gotta know how to run your team and counter what your opponent is doing. You gotta figure out how to hide the weakness on your team and maximise the strengths.

Creatine out coaches me. I could have the all world team and he could have the lions and i would still be scared I am gonna lose.

PS. Creatine thats gonna change come August, LOL
Old 06-09-2009, 05:51 PM   #21
MVP

PGaither84's Arena

OVR: 49

Something I didn't see mentioned in this discussion yet was this:

The difference between how Madden represents bad teams/players and what makes teams and players bad. In Madden, the 49ers have a hard time catching open passes, tackling, and generally doing their job. In real life the 49ers make bad choices, commit penalties and will fail in match ups. In Madden an Offensive lineman will fail to make a block at all when in real life that same lineman gets beat. There is a difference, all be it a small one. In madden your receiver will drop open passes but in real life the 49er's QBs had a hard time reading the D and finding open receivers, let alone throwing good passes to them. J.T. O'Sullivan for example would take sacks and fumble the ball instead of thowing the ball away. In Madden they make your players stupid and they just fail to do their job, in real life this is often not the case.

I see bad teams all the time make silly mistakes that cost them games. In Superbowl XLIII the Cardinals outgained the Steelers in both passing yards (374 to 234) and total yards (407 to 292), but committed 11 penalties for 106 yards. The Cards were beating themselves. In it an old adage that the team that makes the fewest mistakes wins games. In the NFL there are tons of mistakes, in Madden there are hardly any penalties and most of the mistakes you see are players not doing their job.

This is why i hope Pro-Tak and branchign windows and ratings changes and such will help out. No long do I want to see a engaged/not engaged blocking system.

EA Sports: maddenminds.com

In this video we hava heavy blitz, but look at the two guards and the center interaction. the two guards are confused out of their minds and let two defenders through untouched. heck, if you don't know who to block, at least try and block who ever is right in front of you. instead of getting beat on the play by a good stunt or someone being too athletic for you, they just let them by. There are 6 rushers and 6 blockers. If everyone does thier job, then there should be no pressure unless a defender out plays his blocker. If the LG blocks his man the RB can slide over and block the free rusher comming from the RG spot. However with the LG and RG epic failing the RB is overwhelemd and we havea sack. And no, this isn't some fluke play, tihs is regular for madden 09. I'm sure the real Packers are this bad....

Last edited by PGaither84; 06-09-2009 at 05:58 PM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 06-09-2009, 05:56 PM   #22
MVP

gr18's Arena

OVR: 11

Here's another dilemma that leads into the OP's topic;

Will the ratings work the way they should ?

Do they only work when simming and the gameplay sliders are what we're really dealing with when playing?

I love the widespread ratings.I played that way on Madden pc and with my 2k5 rosters.It did help some with team differential but you always have to think;

How much of my gameplay is based off the ratings vs. what my sliders are set at?
Old 06-09-2009, 06:27 PM   #23
Rookie

mars85042's Arena

OVR: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by CreatineKasey
Here's the catch though... do you think it should be just as easy to win with the Lions as it is with the Giants or Patriots? Don't you think the Lions should have to call a better game, maybe catch a break or 2 to win decidedly? I think so.

What's the fun in having every team "good"? We may as well not even have ratings then. We can all just play with different jerseys and pretend we're all good.
+1
Old 06-09-2009, 06:39 PM   #24
MVP

kjcheezhead's Arena

OVR: 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by PGaither84

This is why i hope Pro-Tak and branchign windows and ratings changes and such will help out. No long do I want to see a engaged/not engaged blocking system.
We'll see how it gets tuned. I've seen your oline example on several E3 vids tho, so I'm not totally optimistic. This just needs to go.

I would put this is the category of spin catch animations and super d awareness. Those lineman just look like they were paid off when they do that. Glad Dan Marino isn't playing anymore. His line would do that every play. "WTF? Isotoner gloves for xmas? See if I block for you anymore A**H*le!"

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »