Home

Ideas for Self-implementation of a Salary cap and contracts for Online Franchise

This is a discussion on Ideas for Self-implementation of a Salary cap and contracts for Online Franchise within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 08-13-2009, 05:48 PM   #73
Pro

OVR: 9
Re: Ideas for Self-implementation of a Salary cap and contracts for Online Franchise

Quote:
Originally Posted by bgdave39
Well.... let's all keep asking and let them know this is important so they are aware of the want for this to be added. Everyone do your part.
a-freakin-men

#GoPackGo
Old 08-13-2009, 06:18 PM   #74
Rookie

OVR: 8
Re: Ideas for Self-implementation of a Salary cap and contracts for Online Franchise

what im planning on doing is kind of simple but le me know your thoughts anyway...

As the real NFL season and my OF starts, im going to find out what the remaining years left on contracts for the human controlled players. ie Tom Brady. he has 2 years left on his deal. After two seasons, whoever controls the patriots would be forced to release him, any other players that are in the last year of their deal and anyone else they want to release. Then ill have them total up the overall rating of the players they release. So if the patriots release 375 ovr. points, they can refill those 375 points with the available free agents.

Order of who has signing a player goes in order of record from worst to best. but the one twist im not sure about...Seeing that brady is one of the best players in the league, the person controlling the patriots may want to resign him. If they choose to immediately resign him after the season (or any other highly rated player) they have to release two more players rated at least 10 overall pts lower that are still on the roster. so to keep Brady for example who is 97 (maybe not two years into franchise but who knows) they would have to release two players like Fred Taylor (82 ovr) and Ty Warren (87 ovr). The point system would work the same for any other player, as wanting to immediately resign a player before anyone else can sign them, the two drops have to be minimum 10 points lower.

just spitting out ideas.. thoughts?? any adjustments you guys would want to make??

Xbox Live - SaveUs D2J
Old 08-13-2009, 06:25 PM   #75
Banned

OVR: 2

Free Agency

* Every team has 25 million to spend this off season
* Bidding on this years free agents ends on August 12 at midnight
* Highest Bid wins. If there is a tie we will base it on the "order".
* After each season more money for free agents will be added.
$100 million if you don't make the playoffs
$75 million if you lose in the wild card round
$60 million if you lose in the semi finals
$50 million if you lose in the conference finals
$25 million if you lose in the superbowl
$10 million if you win in the superbowl

* After each season you will submit to the league a list of protected players that can not be bid on. All players are protected if you miss the playoffs
25 players are protected if you lose in the wild card round
20 players are protected if you lose in the semi finals
15 players are protected if you lose in the conference finas
10 players are protected if you lose in the Super Bowl
5 players are protected if you win the Super Bowl

* Free Agency money can be traded for players and draft picks. It can also be carried over from year to year.
* After each season there will 3 rounds of Free Agent offers. During these 3 rounds you can submit up to 5 bids for free agents. If you bid on a player from another team that team can match the offer if they have the money available
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-13-2009, 09:22 PM   #76
Pro

Burne, so i did the experiment and came up with around 168-ish players with an overall of 80 or greater that would enter the free agent "draft" unprotected... I've got a couple concerns though...

- I really like the idea of limiting the number of players that can be taken from a team during each round. However, by the end of each round, this would restrict the final team's choice to only one (or possibly none) team. Now this isn't a HUGE problem because this team would be the reigning champ, but it's just an interesting dynamic that came to me while thinking about this. Not sure what your thoughts are about this.

- Also, the fact that each team gets a pick in each round means that every team is practically guaranteed to lose one (if not a couple) of their top unprotected players. I don't know how realistic this is. Is there a way that some teams would be protected from this in some way?... really don't have any suggestions about this myself... who knows maybe it isn't even a problem.

- Would it be possible to give up say a first round pick to select another protected player? Say if you wanted to select an additional player with overall above 85 to protect, then you'd have to give up your pick in the first round of the free agent draft. Or if you wanted to protect a player with overall between 85 and 70, then you'd have to give up your 2nd round pick... thoughts?

- one more thing, how would it change the dynamic of how it works if instead of just setting the draft rounds as <100, <85, <70, etc... you did it as between 100-85, 84-70, 69-0, etc...? I'm just throwing ideas out here...

#GoPackGo

Last edited by thekodinator; 08-13-2009 at 09:28 PM.
Old 08-13-2009, 10:13 PM   #77
Rookie

OVR: 1

PART1: How our league is dealing with no Online Salaries/Contracts/Free Agency

When news first broke about no salaries/contracts etc I tried searching with not much luck for ideas for doing a simple free agency process. Originally I was going to do a 'Everyone drops so many players' thing and have a Free Agency draft each season. That really didn't do a good job of the intent of Free Agency...so the next two posts show what I developed, with some input from the guys in my league over the last month or two (We played NCAA last season). If you like it and want to use it for your league great, if not it doesn't bother me. I just thought with all the work I've put into this the last few weeks, maybe some others would find usefulness in it.

***PS***These posts were made specifically for our league forums, so if anything doesn't make sense that is likely the reason. Again my intent is only to offer others thoughts and to save others the work I have already done if they were trying it themselves. Also I would love if they updated to have contracts even with all the work I've done.

WHAT IS IN A SALARY?
- An editorial by TGCRequiem

WHAT AND WHY?
When we decided to go with a real salary cap system in Madden versus just being forced to 'draft' free agents I thought, wow how do I do this? and where do I start? Well as I thought about it, I found that the most important thing in being able to run a live salary system is knowing what a player would expect to make in the first place. From there contracts can be created, players can be overpaid etc, but until you know what a player expects to be paid...you don't have anything.

HOW?
So I started on the basic concept that better players, i.e. higher rated players need to be paid more. As I started to play around with the rosters provided by the Madden crew I just knew you couldn't say all 99 overall player's are created equal. So I started to tweak. I thought to myself, what makes the difference in the salary each player in the NFL makes? The first thing I thought of was that positions make a big difference as the usually the best Fullback in the league generally doesn't make as much as a marginal QB let alone a franchise QB. Within an individual position however, the better the player is within his position the more he is going to make, so yes his overall rating is important. A 99 overall TE 'should' be paid more then an 85 overall TE. Then I started to think about what makes two players of equal skill earn different amounts and the biggest thing I could think of is the players age. The concept here being that a 85 overall WR that is 24 is significantly more valuable then an 85 overall WR that is 36. The primary reason being that the younger player has time, and hopefully the potential, to develop into something better then he currently is while the older player is fighting to even maintain his current skill level. There are other things that come into play here such as the talent level available in free agency, or even on the team at that position...but for our system we needed to keep it as simple as possible. So finally I felt like I had a good concept of what we needed to take into consideration when considering an individual players salary, those considerations being; talent, age to talent, position played and talent comparable to others of the same position.

So with this concept I went about working towards creating formulas that could be placed in an excel spreadsheet formula to create each players salary. These formulas are designed to automatically take into consideration any change made to a players position, age, and overall rating as these are the variables used when creating a players expected salary.

MODIFICATIONS:
1) OVR/AGE MOD - Take the players overall rating and divide it by age giving each individual player in Madden an OVR/AGE Modifier, the higher the modifier, the better...for the player.
2) POS MOD - Next I looked up the average salary by position and came up with a Position Modifier to rate each player by position. Quarterbacks have the highest bonus modifier at 2.0 whereas a FB has the lowest modifier at 0.8. These were based on average QB salaries being $2 million dollars versus average FB salaries being $800,000 etc.
3) OVR MOD - Finally I setup a modifier based on the individual players Overall Rating in comparison to the rest of the players at the same position. Basically how this works is a 99 overall player gets a bonus of 2.3 because he is literally the best in the business versus a player who is a 59 overall who has a modifier of 0.6 because he is quite replaceable.

So if you take all of these modifiers and multiply them by an individual players overall rating you get a relatively realistic salary structure where a top player at his position expects a fairly large salary in comparison to his competition at the position.

SALARY TRACKER
There should be a link here for our salary spreadsheet but it won't post it b/c I don't have 5 posts yet. Maybe I can trick it by adding spaces around the periods in the link. Nope, how about I replace the periods with the carrot symbol...
www^thegrammatoncleric^com/MOF10_LEAGUE_SALARIES^xls

SALARY COMPARISON:
Top Salaries:
TEAM------FIRST---LAST--------POS.----Age----Ovr-----Age/Ovr-----PosMod----OvrMod------Exp Salary
Colts-------Peyton--Manning----QB------33-------99------3.00-----------2----------2.3------------1366
Patriots----Tom-----Brady-------QB-----32--------97------3.03-----------2----------2.1------------1235
Saints------Drew-----Brees------QB------30-------96------3.20-----------2----------2---------------1229
Steelers----Ben------Roethlisbe-QB------27-------93------3.44-----------2----------1.9------------1217
Texans-----Mario----Williams---RE-----24--------95------3.96----------1.6---------2--------------1203
Vikings-----Jared-----Allen-------RE-----27--------98-----3.63-----------1.6--------2.1-------------1195
Browns---- Joe------Thomas-----LT-----24--------97------4.04----------1.4---------2.1------------1153
Giants-----Justin----Tuck--------LE-----26--------95------3.65----------1.6---------2--------------1111

Age and Skill Effect on Salaries:
TEAM------FIRST---LAST--------POS.----Age----Ovr-----Age/Ovr-----PosMod----OvrMod------Exp Salary
Colts-------Peyton--Manning----QB------33-------99------3.00-----------2----------2.3------------1366
Colts-------Peyton--Manning----QB------33-------78------3.00-----------2----------1.2------------442
Colts-------Peyton--Manning----QB------22-------99------3.55-----------2----------2.3------------2049
Colts-------Peyton--Manning----QB------22-------78------3.55-----------2----------1.2------------664
Old 08-13-2009, 10:41 PM   #78
Pro

Holy balls... this is intense dude. really well done! amazing! can you please explain every category in the spreadsheet? thanks

#GoPackGo
Old 08-13-2009, 10:58 PM   #79
Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by thekodinator
Holy balls... this is intense dude. really well done! amazing! can you please explain every category in the spreadsheet? thanks
how does it work when signing someone to a new contract or extending their contract another 1, 2 3 or more years? I see the +/- 1 yr and +/- 2 yrs columns, but i dont really understand how that would work.

what is the ECL column?

also, why is there an expected salary column and an actual salary column? why are they sometimes different?

#GoPackGo

Last edited by thekodinator; 08-13-2009 at 11:01 PM.
Old 08-14-2009, 05:39 PM   #80
Rookie

OVR: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by thekodinator
how does it work when signing someone to a new contract or extending their contract another 1, 2 3 or more years? I see the +/- 1 yr and +/- 2 yrs columns, but i dont really understand how that would work.

what is the ECL column?

also, why is there an expected salary column and an actual salary column? why are they sometimes different?

Sorry, but since I'm new it wouldn't post my second part. Apparently a moderator has to check it...probably b/c of the length. Hopefully it shows up soon. In short
ECL is (Expected Contract Length) based on the players age. You can re-sign your own players +/-1 Year of their ECL for 110% of their expected salary and +/-2 Years of their ECL for 120% of their expected salary. No contract extensions for our league until their current contract expires. For free agents players bid based on the players ECL only, so if a player has an expected salary of 550 the winning bidder might be overpaying at 610....hopefully you get the full details later.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »