Home

Ideas for Self-implementation of a Salary cap and contracts for Online Franchise

This is a discussion on Ideas for Self-implementation of a Salary cap and contracts for Online Franchise within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 06-10-2009, 10:21 PM   #17
MVP

OVR: 55
Re: Ideas for Self-implementation of a Salary cap and contracts for Online Franchise

Pantherbeast - really? Don't need to back EA on this one bro.

Adembroski - Nice idea - not too complicated.. I like it. Our league may follow that format as I'm sure you'll get more of the specifics ironed out in the next few weeks.

As for my idea.. it is in an infancy stage... but I'll repost what I put in our league thread:

( Random suggestion:

Use a salary cap loosely based on NFL salaries. Maybe divide it down to 1 point = 100,000 dollars.

Along with that: use factors as multipliers based on position and accolades.

For example: QB so and so is up for free agency. He's 88 OVR, he's been to 2 straight pro-bowls and won a superbowl. Maybe he has additional multipliers of (1.05) and (1.02) from the base "FA points demand" of a 85-89 OVR QB. Maybe his veteran status is another multiplier.. (an increasing factor when under 30 and maybe a DECREASING factor over the age of 33 or something).

It'd take some time to run the numbers initially, but I think in the end we'd have an extremely realistic scenario where the biggest stars of the league would be the most expensive - just like real life. And just like real life maybe we don't htink they are worth it.

Factors could just add or remove the points from the players value. They'd just be a fraction or decimal probably circulating around 1 (like the example shown above). We could have positive and negative factors.

Positive:

Years in league
Pro Bowl
Postseason accolades (SB MVP..)
Top 5 in relevant statistics

Negative:

Years in league
Games played
Stat rank

Those factors would be based off of position and ratings at position:

QB's in the 90's would have a different point demand than LB's in the 90's.

Signing rookies might be a whole new battle... but that's my initial thought of a free agency system. It'd take a little bit of research to get the big time players right, but most average players would be pretty standard for re-sign. And as always, this would be what the player demands. If owners are competing over a player - they can obviously go above what the demand is. Maybe that'd be a good idea if you had no DL and a solid 82 OVR veteran is sitting out there.

Thoughts? Too complicated? I think it would kind of mirror players that reach superstardom - ask for a TON of money and head out to a different franchise. ALA Edgerrin James, Haynesworth, Joey Porter. Maybe we can even fact the "attitude" meter or whatever it's called into whether or not the player will leave entirely without control. )

Also discussed:

( A couple other shortcomings I've conjured up include:

How do we run CPU teams? Do we "bid" FA's for them? That might get very arbitrary. One solution off the top of my head: 16 team league - every user has 2 teams they are responsible for - their user controlled team and a CPU team. This way every team has a mind behind it pushing its best interests.

The consequence of NOT including any manual control is that those teams wouldn't compete over FA's.. and we'd need to monitor when CPU teams contracts are up.. etc.

Another problem: Does online franchise even track contracts? We need to make sure this happens. I don't think anyone wants to make a 32 page excel database to follow contracts.. I sure don't.

If every team, even CPU controlled had some user manipulation behind it we could possibly recreate NFL free agency fairly well. The big hurdle would be creating number standards to work from, but once those standards are set it'd be very smooth sailing. Basically there'd be a lot of initial work and then only tweaks from thereon out.

Average players would be very easy: (Base rating for position) X (age) X (length of contract) X (factorials: probably none) = base contract demand

A system like this is simply replicating free agency and demand based on factors like age, success, and position. )

too much? might get pretty complicated. I think it'd be pretty streamlined once the numbers were crunched and found to be accurate.
Old 06-10-2009, 10:31 PM   #18
Rookie

OVR: 6
Re: Ideas for Self-implementation of a Salary cap and contracts for Online Franchise

PRE SEASON
To kick off the season, we have a FA draft. The team with the worst overall pick 1st, and so on till 32. We do 2 rounds, then kick off the season.
Yes trades can be made in the FA draft. Move up, down just like a rookie draft. If someone cant show up the highest overall player will be added to your team. No punters or kickers, but you might get a Qb.

IN SEASON
To sign a FA you have to cut 2 or 3 player.
Heres what i think.
To sign a player 89-99 overall
You have to cut a mid to high 70 + a player no lower then 65.
Or 3 players 55ovr or higher.
Sign a player 79-88, cut (2)players (1)74-70, the other no lower then 55 overall. or 3 players 60 or lower.
Sign a player 70-78, cut a player now lower then 60, the other 54 or lower, or 3 players 55 or lower.
If a cut put you below the position limit. You have to sign the lowest player at that position.(Commisher can over ride)
[b]SIGN CUT
89-99 75 + 65 or (3) 60 (<)
79-88 70 + 55 or (3) 55(<)
70-78 60 + a player or (3) 55 (>)

Players gets injured, and you need to sign a player
If a player gets injured 80 - 99ovr you can sign a player 15 points less then the injured player. ex. 85ovr get injuried, sign a 70ovr player
If a player gets injured 65-79ovr, you can sign a player 10 points less.ex. 65ovr player injured, sign 55ovr players.
If the player is 64ovr or less, 5 point. ex. 55ovr get injured sign a 50ovr player.
*If you want a better player, signing rules apply

Off Season Free Agent

Every team has to cut 2 players. The players has to be 27years old, and 70 overall. If the player is older then 27, he has to be 80 overall.

Then every owner get 20 points, to sign players.
90-99 cost 10points
80-89 cost 8points
70-79 cost 7points
60-69 cost 6points
60 and lower 5 points
Now the fun part, If more then 1 owner wants a player. The owners then add points to sign the player. Most points get (X) player. If both owners bid 20 points, record comes into play. Bad team gets player. After the draft, the players that was cut. Goes back to cut team.( if the team wants him back.)
Then we start all over again.LOL
Old 06-10-2009, 10:33 PM   #19
In case you forgot...

mKoz26's Arena

OVR: 30

Great ideas adembroski, as well as CK. Keep 'em flowing!

I don't think I could come up with a system better than either of those two, so I'll just put my brain to rest and stop wasting energy on it.

@CDonkey26

Quote:
Originally Posted by baumy300
Yeah, she may be a bit of a beotch, but you get back to me when you find out a way to motorboat personality...
Old 06-10-2009, 10:42 PM   #20
Banned

OVR: 26

What about Leagues that have only 5 people? How will you ever get free agents from the computer?
Old 06-10-2009, 10:45 PM   #21
Banned

OVR: 26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pantherbeast
Ian has done said that after the game released. Him and his crew was planning on trying to add the salary cap adn contract aspect of it on the web later on. Please try reading on it before posting a thread like this please.
Dude man seriously what is your problem?!?!?
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 06-10-2009, 10:51 PM   #22
Rookie

OVR: 8

Do we know if CPU teams will pick up people from the waiver wire?
Old 06-10-2009, 11:15 PM   #23
MVP

OVR: 55

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerryrice4949
Do we know if CPU teams will pick up people from the waiver wire?

I don't think they will. I theorized an idea that a 16 team league could have each user paired with 1 CPU team in which they manage to the CPU teams best interests to have every team, including CPU controlled, having a human mind behind its offseason decisions outside of the draft.

Fademall - I'm not sure what we'd do with a smaller league. Either the burden would be heavier for those guys as far as transactions go... OR you just make changes amongst yourselves. A preferable option in that situation would be just a very simple system.

A couple of posts ago - I do like your 2 round FA draft idea... sounds quick and streamlined... not too much fuss.
Old 06-11-2009, 12:33 AM   #24
Pro

droopizzle34's Arena

OVR: 18

I was thinking since there wont be but about 6-7 guys in my league that i would start an offline franchise and copy the info from it on contracts and caps and use that as a base to start from. That way bidding on FA and signing draft picks,u pretty much know how much cap room you have,so u manage your team accordingly.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »