Home

No Madden 10 PC version correct?

This is a discussion on No Madden 10 PC version correct? within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 06-11-2009, 12:09 AM   #25
Nza
MVP

OVR: 16
Re: No Madden 10 PC version correct?

Quote:
Originally Posted by stux
I personally do not understand how the PC doesn't take over console gaming. It is a far superior platform for a large number of reason.
And inferior for others. All mainstream PC like consoles really did was bring new people into the gaming world - people who otherwise still wouldn't be gaming, a lot of times because PCs can get pricey (e.g. kids, people who don't take it seriously enough, atleast at first). Turns out there is a lot of those people. It lowered the standards a bit but massively increased the reach. We know people don't change much, so PC won't ever take over because it wouldn't be the same PC platform anymore if it did - it would have to effectively change into a console to do so to accomodate the lazy and unenthusiastic. It is forever destined as a niche in its current form, but that's fine, because PC gaming is the platform for niche gamers.

I always like to look at PC v Console as DSLR cameras v Point-n-Shoot cameras. They both do the same basic thing, take pics, and some PnS cameras can take a damn good one too. But the enthusiasts go to DSLR for reasons most people wouldn't identify with.

Last edited by Nza; 06-11-2009 at 12:15 AM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 06-11-2009, 12:11 AM   #26
Banned

OVR: 12

I have been saying for a while that if another gaming company made a football game and allowed A LOT of editing for the PC it could replace the NFL license agreement altogether.

People could create the player, fields, rosters, ratings, league, etc. and share it all over the net.
Old 06-11-2009, 12:14 AM   #27
MVP

MattIntellect's Arena

OVR: 26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nza
Yes, we have, and you continue to gloss over the importance of quality on PC. It simply isn't like console where a top selling game can be rather average. As for funding....so the funding that went into NBA 2K9 to PC, a 360 port....that was funded by how well the game sold? Of course not, it was a first release.

Madden PC was terribly neglected and EA got a suitable return on its investment. Piracy effects sales on *all* platforms, not just PC. And no, it's not obvious it did effect Madden PC sales. It would be if EA actually tried making Madden PC a great game and it still sold poorly, but they didn't, so it isn't. Piracy could have had very little to do with the poor sales at all.
You know very well that piracy have a very little affect on console games than PC games. I agree that Madden on the PC was just a port, but EA Sports will not support a platform that isn't making enough money for them. They are still considering to bring Madden back on the PC and make it more than just a port. It could be as good as the next-gen console versions are graphically along with PC gamers' treasured game play. That is just the facts.
Old 06-11-2009, 12:19 AM   #28
Banned

OVR: 12

I personally think what EA is going to do with Madden is release as a server side game like online franchise this year.

That would allow them to pretty much remove piracy.

Server side gaming is probably the future of gaming in general....
Old 06-11-2009, 12:48 AM   #29
Nza
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattIntellect
You know very well that piracy have a very little affect on console games than PC games. I agree that Madden on the PC was just a port, but EA Sports will not support a platform that isn't making enough money for them. They are still considering to bring Madden back on the PC and make it more than just a port. It could be as good as the next-gen console versions are graphically along with PC gamers' treasured game play. That is just the facts.
The effect it has on PC games simply isn't known. Because it's the same platform you download the illegal copies to, and because the game files are open access, and because the typical PC gamers knows what a torrent and newsgroup is as opposed to the typical console gamer, it is assumed the impact is far greater. But in reality, who knows. As I said earlier, download counts indicate very little, so who's to say? I remember when Activision got all huffy about COD4 PC torrent downloads totalling over 1,000,000, but obviously they didn't really lose 1,000,000 PC copy sales.

On Alexa.com, Xbox-scene is almost in the top 10,000 websites in the world traffic wise. Top 5k in the US. That's a big deal. I know the owner of a top 20,000 website that makes ad revenue similar to what a small magazine would, so that's a high traffic website, almost twice as much as OS it would seem. While it isn't exactly a 360 pirate cove, I know from my time modding an original Xbox to be a media box what the theme is over there and what people from search engines are looking for there. The sheer sales of console games means it can sustain piracy better, but which platform is truly effected more is not easy to conclude.

If EA won't support a platform that isn't making them money which they determine based on a neglected game with little to no piracy protection, then sorry, but they are fishing for excuses. You can't judge with such poor conditions. What you're saying is a fair idea if the game had a fair chance to succeed. It simply didn't. If Madden PC sold great, EA would have dropped everything to investigate how something so cheap and neglected could sell so well. They can't have possibly been expecting much and in turn they didn't get much. They can't then turn around and complain about it.

It's not like we're talking a massive investment here - they'd throw more money towards decisions like making Rubgy games when they do every so often. I keep coming back to NBA 2K9 PC but it keeps remaining relevant. Despite what seems to be implied, porting 360 to PC is not some massive undertaking, it is an every day thing now. And hey, porting is fine - a 360 port for a cross platform game is what PC gamers are now accustomed to. We just want EA to have a fair go at it and not hide behind excuses like piracy caused poor sales.

And they said NFL on PC, not specifically Madden as we know it on console, who knows what that means. Could mean a flash web browser game. Chances are though it's just fluff like what Moore said about EASports going back to PC in 2009. PC gamers have been dealing with this attitude of EA's for years and years and it will take more than that to convince us they're serious.

Last edited by Nza; 06-11-2009 at 12:52 AM.
Old 06-11-2009, 01:24 AM   #30
MVP

MattIntellect's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nza
The effect it has on PC games simply isn't known. Because it's the same platform you download the illegal copies to, and because the game files are open access, and because the typical PC gamers knows what a torrent and newsgroup is as opposed to the typical console gamer, it is assumed the impact is far greater. But in reality, who knows. As I said earlier, download counts indicate very little, so who's to say? I remember when Activision got all huffy about COD4 PC torrent downloads totalling over 1,000,000, but obviously they didn't really lose 1,000,000 PC copy sales.

On Alexa.com, Xbox-scene is almost in the top 10,000 websites in the world traffic wise. Top 5k in the US. That's a big deal. I know the owner of a top 20,000 website that makes ad revenue similar to what a small magazine would, so that's a high traffic website, almost twice as much as OS it would seem. While it isn't exactly a 360 pirate cove, I know from my time modding an original Xbox to be a media box what the theme is over there and what people from search engines are looking for there. The sheer sales of console games means it can sustain piracy better, but which platform is truly effected more is not easy to conclude.

If EA won't support a platform that isn't making them money which they determine based on a neglected game with little to no piracy protection, then sorry, but they are fishing for excuses. You can't judge with such poor conditions. What you're saying is a fair idea if the game had a fair chance to succeed. It simply didn't. If Madden PC sold great, EA would have dropped everything to investigate how something so cheap and neglected could sell so well. They can't have possibly been expecting much and in turn they didn't get much. They can't then turn around and complain about it.

It's not like we're talking a massive investment here - they'd throw more money towards decisions like making Rubgy games when they do every so often. I keep coming back to NBA 2K9 PC but it keeps remaining relevant. Despite what seems to be implied, porting 360 to PC is not some massive undertaking, it is an every day thing now. And hey, porting is fine - a 360 port for a cross platform game is what PC gamers are now accustomed to. We just want EA to have a fair go at it and not hide behind excuses like piracy caused poor sales.

And they said NFL on PC, not specifically Madden as we know it on console, who knows what that means. Could mean a flash web browser game. Chances are though it's just fluff like what Moore said about EASports going back to PC in 2009. PC gamers have been dealing with this attitude of EA's for years and years and it will take more than that to convince us they're serious.
They said that Madden would be on the PC next year or for future iterations. I'm sure it's not really fluff because EA Sports would have had a full 2 years to bring Madden back to the PC platform. I'm sure you argued on Peter Moore's blog when he announced that Madden 09 would not be made on the PC. Many sports games are shying away from the PC platform because of poor sales or to invest more in their console titles. I know that people spend a lot of money on upgrading their PCs, and some are upset because they wanted to play Madden, but unfortunately that's how life is. Quick question: Do you own a console or are you strictly a PC gamer?

Last edited by MattIntellect; 06-11-2009 at 01:26 AM.
Old 06-11-2009, 01:36 AM   #31
Nza
MVP

360 and PC. I'll be playing M10 on 360, would have loved it on PC though.

I know it's business, etc etc. Life isn't always fair. But jeez, the leading sports game company in the world can't port a game to the largest gaming platform based on the US's biggest pro sport, but the 2nd fiddle sports game company can port game based on the US's 2nd (or 3rd?) biggest sport? Something just doesn't add up. All will be well in a year's time if there really are plans, but as I said, EA have a track history of poor PC effort and this hush hush, "PC doesn't exist la la la" stuff now is only the latest. Until it's confirmed, it's a campaign to get it back for us.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 06-11-2009, 01:41 AM   #32
MVP

MattIntellect's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nza
360 and PC. I'll be playing M10 on 360, would have loved it on PC though.

I know it's business, etc etc. Life isn't always fair. But jeez, the leading sports game company in the world can't port a game to the largest gaming platform based on the US's biggest pro sport, but the 2nd fiddle sports game company can port game based on the US's 2nd (or 3rd?) biggest sport? Something just doesn't add up. All will be well in a year's time if there really are plans, but as I said, EA have a track history of poor PC effort and this hush hush stuff now is only the latest. Until it's confirmed, it's a campaign to get it back for us.
Take my advice and enjoy Madden 10 on the Xbox 360 and THEN push for Madden 11 on the PC. Right now, there's no way to force EA Sports to bring Madden back on the PC for Madden 10. Hopefully when/if they do bring Madden back on the PC, it will not be a last-gen port. All you have to do is hope.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »