Home

So, we know they fixed how progression happens. . .

This is a discussion on So, we know they fixed how progression happens. . . within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 06-10-2009, 11:18 PM   #9
MVP

mmorg's Arena

OVR: 18
Re: So, we know they fixed how progression happens. . .

Shouldn't there be regression during the season for most players due to wear and tear and then the majority of any progression, if any at all, happening in the off-season?
Old 06-11-2009, 12:00 AM   #10
MVP

Tweeg's Arena

OVR: 12

I am just hoping there is some sort of progression system with reasonable logic. Let's face it, last year was supposed to have a great new progression system. We were shown screen shots of the progression of Darren McFadden's career, and we saw him rise and fall. We got our game, played our franchises and nobody progressed or regressed at all. We received a patch that was supposed to fix everything, but only made some guys go up about 3 points through an entire career. All I am asking for is a common sense progression system. I don't want everyone in the league going up (madden on last gen) and I don't want everyone being stagnant for their entire career.
Old 06-11-2009, 12:13 AM   #11
Rookie

OVR: 7

Sigh

That's such a crap system for progression its not even funny. Progression is one of the key elements of a fun franchise mode and it looks like EA is going to whiff again. Progression should certainly happen once during pre-season, and then once again mid-season, and then at the end of the season. It just makes sense to me anyway.

I agree with what Adem said about having speed and agility not increase at all for the most part. I'm blown away by the CPU's logic in how it assigns progression points... by deciding that Player A should be a 84 instead of a 79 and then just randomly picks where it wants the points to go? I'm sorry, but that is completely asinine. Instead, wouldn't it be a better idea to just increase the points in the ratings where it makes sense and letting the OVR fall wherever it may? I'm so tired of OVR ratings because I think the actual attributes of the player are more important, especially if they're a system player. I hope to God they fix this in the future.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 06-11-2009, 12:25 AM   #12
Rookie

OVR: 6

the only progression i saw in 09 was that there would end the season with at least 8-10 guys with 99 speed....also no one ever really got worse, i'd end up with an offensive line +90 ratings all the time.....boring
Old 06-11-2009, 12:26 AM   #13
Banned

OVR: 7

If progression works the way it's supposed to, and only happens once a season, I'm OK with that.

If a 68 OVR RB rushes for 1,200 yds and 10 TD's, and the next season he's a 73-75 OVR, I'll be happy.

If a 92 OVR WR makes 35 catches for 312 yds and 2 TD's, and goes up to a 95 OVR, I'll snap my crayons.
Old 06-11-2009, 12:31 AM   #14
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by achain
Sigh

That's such a crap system for progression its not even funny. Progression is one of the key elements of a fun franchise mode and it looks like EA is going to whiff again. Progression should certainly happen once during pre-season, and then once again mid-season, and then at the end of the season. It just makes sense to me anyway.

I agree with what Adem said about having speed and agility not increase at all for the most part. I'm blown away by the CPU's logic in how it assigns progression points... by deciding that Player A should be a 84 instead of a 79 and then just randomly picks where it wants the points to go? I'm sorry, but that is completely asinine. Instead, wouldn't it be a better idea to just increase the points in the ratings where it makes sense and letting the OVR fall wherever it may? I'm so tired of OVR ratings because I think the actual attributes of the player are more important, especially if they're a system player. I hope to God they fix this in the future.
I agree, the progression system they're going to be using isn't really realistic at all. The method I proposed was based on this same logic only because that seems to be the direction they're going regardless. I think what I said in my last post would be the lesser of two evils when it comes to using the "progression cycle" system, but ideally I would like something more realistic.

And I also agree that it should focus more on individual ratings than the overall. If a RB has a good season and goes the entire season without fumbling, and the progression logic says he should progress 4 points or something, what's there to make sure his carry rating specifically increases like it should? They might just raise his break tackle rating until his overall goes up 4 points which wouldn't reflect his ability to hold on to the ball as he demonstrated in the past season.
Old 06-11-2009, 12:41 AM   #15
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canadeion
If progression works the way it's supposed to, and only happens once a season, I'm OK with that.

If a 68 OVR RB rushes for 1,200 yds and 10 TD's, and the next season he's a 73-75 OVR, I'll be happy.

If a 92 OVR WR makes 35 catches for 312 yds and 2 TD's, and goes up to a 95 OVR, I'll snap my crayons.
If that 92 WR is in the first cycle, he may not go up to a 95, but he won't go any lower than the 92 he already is. This is where I don't get their logic with this. If a guy has a crap season, his ratings should take a hit.

For example, say a player like Roddy White was rated 92 in Madden 09. Not sure if this is his actual rating just making an example. He had a good season in 07 so I would think the Madden team would adjust his rating for Madden 09. But then say during the 08 season he had 35 catches for 312 yds and 2 TDs (instead of another great year like he did), you can bet that when Madden 10 would roll around, the Madden team would probably rate him like an 86 or something.

Now say the same thing happened between 2 seasons in Madden 10 with the way their progression logic goes. Since he's only in his 4th season, chances are by this "cycle" logic, he could still be in the first cycle. So in his 3rd year he has 1200 yds and his 4th year he has 312 yds, but because he's still in cycle 1, he stays the same overall no matter how bad he plays.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 06-11-2009, 12:49 AM   #16
MVP

mmorg's Arena

OVR: 18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canadeion

Progression should not be performance based. That kind of system needs to stick to MMO's.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »