Home

Do we expect too much from sports games today?

This is a discussion on Do we expect too much from sports games today? within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 06-11-2009, 01:05 PM   #9
MVP

mastershake88's Arena

OVR: 21
Re: Do we expect too much from sports games today?

if by"expecting too much" you mean asking for features that was in ps2.xbox, gamecube games 4-8 years ago? then fine call me guilty. but thats not me expecting to much thats sports games giving to little.
Decade of Excellence
FHS '06, UMBC,'13,CCBC '15 UMUC '15
Old 06-11-2009, 01:08 PM   #10
MVP

OVR: 16

I think people expect too much from Madden. I think that game gets more scrutiny than probably any other game. I see people constantly refer to games like NHL 09 and The Show as the pinnacle of sports games, but those games have some incredible flaws that would undoubtedly spawn 20+ page threads here if similar stuff happened in Madden.

In The Show, I've repeatedly seen baserunners slide back into their previous base on wild pitches. I've seen outfielders do some terrible things ranging from jogging to a fly ball so they can dive for it (and usually miss), spin in a circle while camping under a fly ball causing them to miss it, etc. The other night I noticed how the camera likes to pan behind the first base line seats in the Metrodome.

I could give numerous other examples of crazy stuff like that, but people accept it and look past it because both of those games are otherwise great games. But Madden never gets that luxury. If a QB is lined up even a yard too far back in the shotgun, there's gonna be hundreds of posts about it. It's insane.

To be clear, I'm not saying people shouldn't be vocal about trying to make the game better. I just think some people need to regain their perspective on things.
Old 06-11-2009, 01:08 PM   #11
MVP

OVR: 39

When it comes to NCAA, then no... but games like The Show, FIFA, & Madden 10 give me hope.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 06-11-2009, 01:08 PM   #12
Pro

lgxjames's Arena

OVR: 14

I mean, when you call a system next-gen but the games still play the same as legacy gen perhaps, luckily for me im starting to understand this whole hype machine thing
Old 06-11-2009, 01:09 PM   #13
MVP

OVR: 15

No. Not at all. A five year old game is still better than any of the Madden's in the past 4 years. It's entirely justified to demand a product superior to one made on outdated machinery half a decade ago.
Old 06-11-2009, 01:09 PM   #14
MVP

OVR: 20

in terms graphics, gameplay, franchise optiions, and other features no we do not expect to much. In terms of getting everyones hair, equipment, and especially their ratings exactly right yes we probably do.
Old 06-11-2009, 01:11 PM   #15
MVP

noplace's Arena

OVR: 13

All I have to say is. Dont say " If its in the game its in the game" and dont give it all to me...Thats all..

Nebraska Cornhuskers
Washington Redskins
Miami Heat
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 06-11-2009, 01:12 PM   #16
RKO!!

PantherBeast_OS's Arena

OVR: 53

Well no not really because thats what these people get paid to do. They get paid to give the customers the best product they can produce. If I pay 65 hard earned$ on a game i expect the best graphics gameplay and features that they can make. I ain't going to pay 65 $ on a piece of junk game just so a lazy company can get rich off of me. So no I don't feel guilty for wanting the best for the kind of money I pay for it.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »