Home

Why remove field lines from the playcall screen?

This is a discussion on Why remove field lines from the playcall screen? within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 06-11-2009, 08:29 PM   #1

Deegeezy's Arena

OVR: 15
Why remove field lines from the playcall screen?

I still don't get why they would do this? As it is right now, when you are looking at your plays, pass plays in particular, you have no idea how many yards each of your receivers is going to be running.

I don't think people realize how much of a big deal this is going to be once they actually start playing the game and looking for plays.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 06-11-2009, 08:43 PM   #2
Rookie

OVR: 3
Re: Why remove field lines from the playcall screen?

Honestly, it's not that big of a deal. Remember what side of the field you're on, and call/flip plays accordingly. That's how I've been doing it, and I'm doing fine. I'm really getting tired of hearing people complain about how big a problem it is that there are no gridlines in the playcall screen. I'm just glad they went back to the traditional 3 window playcall screen, cause that two box system wasn't doing it for me.

I'm not here to spark a huge debate, just to speak my mind.

Thank you (Not a crook lol)
Old 06-11-2009, 08:48 PM   #3
MVP

MattIntellect's Arena

OVR: 26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Southpaw29
Honestly, it's not that big of a deal. Remember what side of the field you're on, and call/flip plays accordingly. That's how I've been doing it, and I'm doing fine. I'm really getting tired of hearing people complain about how big a problem it is that there are no gridlines in the playcall screen. I'm just glad they went back to the traditional 3 window playcall screen, cause that two box system wasn't doing it for me.

That's the same thing I was thinking. I never really used the field lines when deciding which plays to call.
Old 06-11-2009, 08:48 PM   #4

Deegeezy's Arena

Quote:

It has nothing to do with remembering what side of the field you are on in relation to the hash. That's something that would be nice to see but I don't think we've had that in a game since Tecmo Bowl.

The reason field lines are needed is so you know the length of a WR's pass pattern. Some people are very detailed in their play-calling and need to know things such as the length of a route and spacing when deciding on a play.
Old 06-11-2009, 08:50 PM   #5
Rookie

OVR: 3

^ Just view the overlay at the LOS. Or if you're playing with someone next to you, estimate
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 06-11-2009, 08:54 PM   #6

Deegeezy's Arena

Quote:
^ Just view the overlay at the LOS. Or if you're playing with someone next to you, estimate
I'd like to know that info prior to calling the play as we always have.
Old 06-11-2009, 09:01 PM   #7
EA Game Changer

sgibs7's Arena

OVR: 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deegeezy
I still don't get why they would do this? As it is right now, when you are looking at your plays, pass plays in particular, you have no idea how many yards each of your receivers is going to be running.

I don't think people realize how much of a big deal this is going to be once they actually start playing the game and looking for plays.

smart route your route!

get right to where the route should be going
Old 06-11-2009, 09:07 PM   #8

Deegeezy's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgibs7
smart route your route!

get right to where the route should be going
Not a big fan of smart routes on a constant basis because then you run into issues with spacing. Some Madden players call their plays with a little more precision than others and I happen to be a guy that does not want to decrease the spacing integrity of a play by smart routing all the time.

I don't know if this is the reason and don't want to at all sound like I am above anyone because I am not but I guess it is just the football background in me that wants this.

As a former player and coach, I have never in my life seen a playbook on any level (high school, college, or pro) that does not have some degree of detail as to the length of a pass route. I could not imagine a real life coach calling a play and telling a WR to "go and run deep cross, I don't care how many yards you run it at, just go run it."

Plays are designed in a very precise manner and whether your are privy to it or not, this is emulated in Madden and NCAA.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »