Home

Yet Another Lawsuit Against EA & Madden

This is a discussion on Yet Another Lawsuit Against EA & Madden within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?
Closed Thread

Old 06-12-2009, 09:12 AM   #1
Banned

OVR: 21
Yet Another Lawsuit Against EA & Madden

Well, it didn't take long for the first copy-cat lawsuit to be filed, this time by someone who lives in Atlanta (though the suit was filed in California). My guess is that these are going to start springing up all over the place...like I've said before, could be very easy money for a good plaintiffs' attorney.

http://www.courthousenews.com/2009/0...eoFootball.pdf

I really think we're on the verge of seeing the exclusive license (and EA's monopolistic ways) coming to an end...FINALLY.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 06-12-2009, 09:22 AM   #2
MVP

RGiles36's Arena

OVR: 34
Re: Yet Another Lawsuit Against EA & Madden

I'd love to think the exclusive license could come to an end, but I highly doubt that.

Didn't know that EA was Delaware corporation though LOL. Tax-free baby!
Old 06-12-2009, 09:24 AM   #3
All Star

OVR: 33

22. NFL 2K5 combined award-winning gameplay with ground-breaking prices.
Despite NFL 2K5's superior quality, Take-Two priced the game nearly $30 below the Madden
NFL title. Faced with a serious competitor for the first time, EA lowered its prices. Three
months after the entry of NFL 2K5 into.the market, in November 2004, EA lowered the price of
Madden NFL 2005 from $49.95 to $29.95.

Wow whats up here? This sounds more like, I hate EA ,I love 2k sports action. Despite award-winning gameplay and superior quality... wtf is that.

In2004, Sega partnered with Take-Two, one of the largest makers of interactive
video game software in the world, to update and distribute its existing Interactive Video Football
Game Software. The result, NFL 2K5, was released to rave reviews. The Official Xbox
Magazine gave it its Editors' Choice award and deemed it "the best NFL title on the Xbox."
GamePro.com and IGN.com, both highly influential websites covering interactive football
software products, similarly gave NFL 2K5 Editors' Choice awards. The reviewer at IGN.com
calledN FL 2K5 "one of the finest sportse xperiencesI' ve had the pleasureo f enjoying."

Are you serious?? I thought we were sueing EA, not praising 2k5 beyond belief.

Personally, I wouldn't mind a competitor joining the NFL market. But this action suit sounds mighty petty. They're suggesting that EA sell Next Gen games at Old Gen Prices....

Old 06-12-2009, 09:28 AM   #4
Banned

OVR: 26

While I understand the complaint against EA being a monopoly in the football gaming world, I'm not entirely convinced they are hurting the market as much as people think. I mean seriously all the years football games were made and the only game that ever challenged Madden was NFL2K5, which I admit I never played. It wasn't like we saw all of these bad *** football games being made and all of a sudden it stopped.

We also don't even know if NFL2K would have done any better than Madden. Look at their baseball game man it's straight trash homey. Their basketball game is nice man but it has got a lot of missing elements that just don't make sense. See I'm not a EA "fanboy" I just keep it real. I don't give a damn about an exclusive license or who makes what video game. I just want a good fricking game. I believe 90% of people side with me.

Also remember, when people are out of sight and away from the game, people all of a sudden start thinking they were better than they were. Look at Vick, the dude has been suspended two years, and everyone acts like we are missing the game's greatest QB of all time. Dude was an exciting player but he wasn't actually "changing the game" Last year Brady got hurt and all the Sportscasters acted like the NFL world would be turned upside down...Wrong the NFL had a more popular year than ever, the game is bigger than one clown. We ain't even going to talk about Marbury, people acted like that dude was a great PG that was being held down, fool came back and was he straight A$$!!!!

So before we go denouncing EA and there ways, let's ask ourselves "What does it really matter?"

Last edited by FadeEmAll; 06-12-2009 at 09:31 AM.
Old 06-12-2009, 09:29 AM   #5
MVP

RGiles36's Arena

As much as I love 2K5, I have to agree with Exonerated. The emphasis in this 'suit' should've been to encourage choice or competition for all gaming companies interested...not just Take Two.

My question is this: if fans filing lawsuits can be (hypothetically) effective against breaking the exclusive license, why hasn't Take Two taken it upon themselves to open up their own lawsuit years ago against EA? I'd think they have much more chance of success than some fan. Me thinks this will not amount to anything.
Old 06-12-2009, 09:33 AM   #6
Banned

OVR: 21

Quote:
Originally Posted by rgiles36
My question is this: if fans filing lawsuits can be (hypothetically) effective against breaking the exclusive license, why hasn't Take Two taken it upon themselves to open up their own lawsuit years ago against EA? I'd think they have much more chance of success than some fan. Me thinks this will not amount to anything.
I don't know why Take 2 didn't litigate...other than it's expensive. I always thought they should have.

Now that the first "fan" monopoly lawsuit against EA has survived EA's motion to dismiss, there's some precedent for other plaintiffs' attorneys to give it a shot. Keeping EA and its attorneys busy on multiple fronts is going to be problemsome. Do you think EA wants to be fighting a new complaint after losing the last motion to dismiss and getting ready for class discovery in the other lawsuit.

The whole thing is a BIG mess for EA. And it's only going to get bigger. Combine this with the Keller suit and the retired NFL players suit (once it's filed) and it's going to be some very rough waters for EA's legal dept.
Old 06-12-2009, 09:36 AM   #7
*ll St*r

roadman's Arena

I don't mind the other lawsuit, but this one is just mindless dribbling of a biased agenda minded person.
Old 06-12-2009, 09:37 AM   #8
Pro

SeaNNyT's Arena

OVR: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by FadeEmAll
While I understand the complaint against EA being a monopoly in the football gaming world, I'm not entirely convinced they are hurting the market as much as people think. I mean seriously all the years football games were made and the only game that ever challenged Madden was NFL2K5, which I admit I never played. It wasn't like we saw all of these bad *** football games being made and all of a sudden it stopped.

We also don't even know if NFL2K would have done any better than Madden. Look at their baseball game man it's straight trash homey. Their basketball game is nice man but it has got a lot of missing elements that just don't make sense. See I'm not a EA "fanboy" I just keep it real. I don't give a damn about an exclusive license or who makes what video game. I just want a good fricking game. I believe 90% of people side with me.

Also remember, when people are out of sight and away from the game, people all of a sudden start thinking they were better than they were. Look at Vick, the dude has been suspended two years, and everyone acts like we are missing the game's greatest QB of all time. Dude was an exciting player but he wasn't actually "changing the game" Last year Brady got hurt and all the Sportscasters acted like the NFL world would be turned upside down...Wrong the NFL had a more popular year than ever, the game is bigger than one clown. We ain't even going to talk about Marbury, people acted like that dude was a great PG that was being held down, fool came back and was he straight A$$!!!!

So before we go denouncing EA and there ways, let's ask ourselves "What does it really matter?"
Well before the xbox/ps2 days, NFL Gameday for the PS1 use to be considered a better football title for a few years.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »