Home

An update on penalties

This is a discussion on An update on penalties within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 06-13-2009, 02:04 AM   #1
Banned

OVR: 28
An update on penalties

Sorry if there was a more recent update, but I didn't find one. I know there was a post about the penalties earlier in the year and Ian mentioned that they would know (right around this time) what the deal was with the penalties that were supported in the game and how they would be implemented. I'm all for more realism so I was really hoping to see ALL of the NFL penalties in the game. Things like illegal contact, ineligible man down field and of course the one Ian mentioned in his blog, illegal touching (when a receiver runs out of bounds and is the first to touch the ball).

Is there an update on penalties in Madden 10?

Here is a link to the original post:

http://www.operationsports.com/forum...post2039341549
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 06-13-2009, 02:20 AM   #2
Rookie

OVR: 4
Re: An update on penalties

I think a big problem is how would you determine when things like hands to the face get called? Illegal contact also really seems like it could be walking on thin ice. If im a safety it's gonna feel more like avoid the receivers than cover the receiver lol. Some things im just not sure translate to a game all that well. I guess you could all some illegal contact if you get absolutely no pressure on the quarterback and eventually you figure you'd hit a reciever, but having a qb dissect your defense would probably be punishment enough.
Old 06-13-2009, 03:24 AM   #3
RKO!!

PantherBeast_OS's Arena

OVR: 53

I am sure Ian and crew has done some work on the the penalty system to make it more better. But overall I am hoping it is more better this year then has been.
Old 06-13-2009, 03:52 AM   #4
Banned

OVR: 28

Quote:
Originally Posted by 18manning18
I think a big problem is how would you determine when things like hands to the face get called? Illegal contact also really seems like it could be walking on thin ice. If im a safety it's gonna feel more like avoid the receivers than cover the receiver lol. Some things im just not sure translate to a game all that well. I guess you could all some illegal contact if you get absolutely no pressure on the quarterback and eventually you figure you'd hit a reciever, but having a qb dissect your defense would probably be punishment enough.
Why can't you have hands to the face? It can happen on the line at random times (just like holding) or when corners are jamming and jostling with WRs at the line. You can't say there shouldn't be penalties for defensive backs because it would inhibit me when I cam controlling him. That's like saying there should never be holding if I am controlling a lineman. Illegal contact is in the NFL and gets called more often than Pass Interference. Bottom line, if you hit the receiver after 5 yards it's illegal contact. It was in 2k5 and worked quite well, it wasn't overused, just called when you got caught doing it. I think it could be implemented here as well. I am sure the penalties will be upgraded from years past, but I wanted to know if there could maybe be a blog covering all of the possible penalties in the game.
Old 06-13-2009, 06:08 AM   #5
All Star

OVR: 24

What i would like to see is a penalty rating for each player. As far as implementing them. The hands to the face type would likely just be pretty random based on your slider of the penalty and this player rating.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 06-13-2009, 09:18 AM   #6
Pro

OVR: 20

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkrause1971
What i would like to see is a penalty rating for each player. As far as implementing them. The hands to the face type would likely just be pretty random based on your slider of the penalty and this player rating.
+1
Old 06-13-2009, 01:41 PM   #7
GO PACK GO

PlatooN's Arena

OVR: 17

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkrause1971
penalties should be in relation with the AWR rating

Last edited by PlatooN; 06-13-2009 at 01:46 PM.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »