Home

Perfect Commentary in a Sports Game

This is a discussion on Perfect Commentary in a Sports Game within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 06-14-2009, 11:52 PM   #9
Pro

OVR: 8
Re: Perfect Commentary in a Sports Game

NHL 09 is hands down the best commentary I've ever heard.
Old 06-14-2009, 11:58 PM   #10
MVP

OVR: 27

Hammond doesn't really do the NFL regularly either, at least not any national games that I've ever seen prior to this past season in the NFC Wild Card; The Wild Card with him and Collinsworth is the first time I've ever heard Hammond do an NFL game.

I think Nessler is a natural for video games. He just gets it. He's one of those talents who you can tell needs very little coaching during a session, he just understands the moment. He sounds no different in the video game than he does in real life, and that's remarkable.

While I like Hammond in real life, Nessler in real life is a better play-by-play talent in just about every way possible. If they did bring in Nessler I think we'd get an instant upgrade just because of Nessler's obvious abilities. But that still wouldn't solve the main issues which would still affect other parts of the game:

1. The script writing... it's absolute garbage.

2. Recording... amateurish. Screwed up levels, compression issues. Poorly recorded lines being left in. For an audiophile like myself, it's like listening to kittens being tortured. Somebody should be held accountable for that.

3. Editing... same as #2.

I realize there are all kinds of other stuff involved like having whatever randomizing code you have in place picking the right lines at the right times. But that's all beside the point, because it doesn't eliminate or explain why #'s 1-3 are so downright awful, nor does it excuse it. There really is no excuse. But unless #'s 1-3 get addressed and upgraded, it won't matter who you bring in, you'll have the same problem.

Just take a listen to Alex Flanigan's commentary during the Extra Point. Give it some thought, and ask yourself why she too sounds like a robot. Is it her fault, too? Nope. It's #'s 1-3. That's the problem.

Last edited by TheWatcher; 06-15-2009 at 12:04 AM.
Old 06-15-2009, 12:02 AM   #11
Banned

~Guru~'s Arena

OVR: 16

Mlb 09 has commentary like the defense in that game....to scripted.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 06-15-2009, 01:22 AM   #12
MVP

statum71's Arena

OVR: 61

The Show's commentary is pretty good. I disagree with the guy that said Live was good and 2K needed help.

I'll take an exciting Kevin Harlan over yesterday's news Marv Albert ANY day.

When is Live gonna get up to date? At least go get Mike Breen.

Now I just wish Madden had Joe Buck.
Old 06-15-2009, 01:39 AM   #13
Rookie

OVR: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by statum71
Oh dear god no.
Old 06-15-2009, 01:44 AM   #14
MVP

rckabillyRaider's Arena

OVR: 36

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwas676
Yeah right its not perfect buts it is good, I'll put it up there with Live, MLB 2k9, and NCAA. Both Madden and NBA 2k9 need help.
MLB 2K9 might not be the greatest game but it has probably the best commentary in a sports game ever.
Old 06-15-2009, 02:06 AM   #15
All Star

SoxFan01605's Arena

OVR: 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by rckabillyRaider
MLB 2K9 might not be the greatest game but it has probably the best commentary in a sports game ever.
Not quite. This is "newness" distorting reality, IMO. After playing it for awhile, there are tons of repeats, most of it's very canned, and Phillips has no useful insight to pass on.

That's not to say it's bad (far from it, IMO), but I think the newness coupled with Thorne being so good makes it seem better than it really is (though I guess one could argue that if the illusion is there, that's all that matters anyway)

That said, it is great for a first year and does do some things other games should try and emulate better. They reference each other frequently, which adds to the illusion of dynamic commentary (always a good thing, IMO). The way they cut in and out of that dialogue to make a call is very well done as well.

If they coupled that along with the depth of detail The Show covers with theirs (meaning the details and smaller references), then that would be the best commentary ever.

Another thing both baseball games do well is references to streaks, recent play, etc. This would add a ton of depth to Madden if we could here some commentary along those lines. Like in week two, it would be awesome to hear "Brady really looked out of sync in the preseason and week one, but is looking like his old self this afternoon..." (or something to that effect).

Anything to make your franchise games feel linked to each other, rather than a series of formatted exhibitions.

Last edited by SoxFan01605; 06-15-2009 at 02:08 AM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 06-15-2009, 02:48 AM   #16
Rookie

OVR: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by statum71
The Show's commentary is pretty good. I disagree with the guy that said Live was good and 2K needed help.

I'll take an exciting Kevin Harlan over yesterday's news Marv Albert ANY day.

When is Live gonna get up to date? At least go get Mike Breen.

Go to the NBA 2k board and put man i love the commentary you get ripped a new one.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »