Home

One (somewhat major) issue that may be easily fixed...

This is a discussion on One (somewhat major) issue that may be easily fixed... within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 06-16-2009, 03:17 AM   #9
Rookie

OVR: 5
Re: One (somewhat major) issue that may be easily fixed...

agree with the OP..the CPU QB jumping/turning/throwing all in one motion to avoid a sack was quite ridiculous in 09...especially when those passes were right on target every time
Old 06-16-2009, 04:10 AM   #10
Pro

bigdfan76's Arena

OVR: 12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jono078
It's funny isn't it?

Us people 'want' as realistic as possible simulation of the real sport, but then when you actually play you want to get that sack every time, you want to get that INT every time, you want to break away for that big run, you want the hail mary to be successful etc etc.

I could make a blog on it but can't be bothered.

It's funny though as I said how we think we want things then in the other reality we expect it different.
Amen
Baylor Bears Iowa Hawkeyes Texas Longhorns
Old 06-16-2009, 05:03 AM   #11
Banned

OVR: 17

I understand completely what he's saying. It's not that you should be able to get sacks easier, it's that if you work hard enough for the sacks, you shouldn't get screwed out of them by exploited QB play. A lot of QB's, if you close in on them well enough, are forced to just eat it and take the sack. You see nothing like that in Madden. No evasion or anything, it's like they always know exactly where you're blitzing from no matter what.

Or it would help if ratings actually mattered. The Steelers defense put up sacks on ANY offensive line last season for the most part, yet I guarantee if I use them in Madden, I don't get nearly that kind of pressure or anywhere close to it. Maybe like 1-2 sacks a game, against bad offensive lines or good ones, no matter.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 06-16-2009, 05:20 AM   #12
Banned

cornstarch's Arena

OVR: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by kehlis
While I agree with what you both are saying and agree to somewhat of a degree, I would not want to see this implemented for one reason.

The human doesn't have a blind spot, and I don't see how ratings could affect when the user decides to throw, so I don't think the CPU play should be hampered with something that doesn't have a similar affect on the human play.
Well, usually when the pressure did come (in Madden 09, as rare as it was)...I wasn't able to automatically find an open receiver right before the sack, or I wasn't dumb enough to risk throwing an easy pick...so I think it could be done just so the CPU doesn't "suddenly" find the open receiver, even after I get there in 2 seconds you know?

Quote:
Originally Posted by maddenps2
I don't see what the problem is, sacks shouldn't be easy. I think it's better now that a quarterback can actually do more than throw a perfect pass or get sacked.

Quarterbacks do the same thing in real life when the are under pressure. Atleast now if they are getting dragged down the pass isn't as good as normal. The problem in the past is that even with pressure the pass would be accurate. And experience is really not always a factor because young quarterback will throw a bad pass to avoid the sack.
Yes, that is what happens...and I'm glad they added the "throwing out of a sack" thing we see a lot of in the videos, it's awesome. But what I'm talking about is how basically EVERYTIME the robo-qb would throw right before a sack, rarely taking one. Robo-qb seems to be eliminated but it might not cover this particular problem(for lack of a better term) that I'm talking about.

Quote:
Originally Posted by maddenps2
Why do people always assume certain gameplay elements are "easy" to fix. I don't think we are the ones to assume on how easily or difficult are to do when it comes to game programming.
I'm assuming because, to my potential ignorance, some gameplay features that they've fixed up after one of us noticing it just took a couple numbers to crunch and a deletion of some code to fix, i.e. pass rush.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jono078
It's funny isn't it?

Us people 'want' as realistic as possible simulation of the real sport, but then when you actually play you want to get that sack every time, you want to get that INT every time, you want to break away for that big run, you want the hail mary to be successful etc etc.

I could make a blog on it but can't be bothered.

It's funny though as I said how we think we want things then in the other reality we expect it different.
I'm in no way saying I want to completely dominate the game and get 9 sacks a game with my Saints defense, I'm just saying TONE down the number of times the QB magically gets rid of the ball right before my defender gets to him. I don't mean make it an automatic sack if I get within a foot of the CPU QB, make him throw it away earlier or find an open receiver quicker rather than out-of-the-blue-releasing the ball before he gets touched.

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelcurtain311
I understand completely what he's saying. It's not that you should be able to get sacks easier, it's that if you work hard enough for the sacks, you shouldn't get screwed out of them by exploited QB play. A lot of QB's, if you close in on them well enough, are forced to just eat it and take the sack. You see nothing like that in Madden. No evasion or anything, it's like they always know exactly where you're blitzing from no matter what.

Or it would help if ratings actually mattered. The Steelers defense put up sacks on ANY offensive line last season for the most part, yet I guarantee if I use them in Madden, I don't get nearly that kind of pressure or anywhere close to it. Maybe like 1-2 sacks a game, against bad offensive lines or good ones, no matter.
Exactly what I mean. Thank you.
Old 06-16-2009, 05:46 AM   #13
Rookie

turfguy23's Arena

OVR: 10

I never had a problem getting sacks in 09' (and that's with the Lions)

My gamer skill is always around 625-650.

Here's the trick- DO YOUR JOB!

What does that mean? It means whoever your "user" controlling, you must follow you job assignment. If your the MLB and have man coverage on the Full Back...........then COVER THE Full Back. If your the FS and have a "cover 2" or "cover 3" zone responsibility...........then COVER THAT ZONE. I believe that if I take my user controlled player and full fill my responsibility on that given play, then my chances of a sack greatly increase.

Most of the time it's the users fault. Why? Because when they start "roaming" or "free lancing" then it usually leaves "their" guy open. The CPU logic sees this and takes advantage. I think the CPU AI goes after the USER first, and if that's covered they look to option 2, option 3, etc. I get many sacks by using this logic. I get sacks with overloaded pressure, attacking the weakest O-linemen, and with a simple 4 man rush. Try it, it works! Simply follow your own "user" assignment and the sacks will happen more often. Play as a "free lancer" and you'll get abused by the cpu AI.
Old 06-16-2009, 06:10 AM   #14
Rookie

unisol_us's Arena

I thought this has been addressed by the tech where you will get ugly ducks when you are hit. I already seen it in the videos both HUM v CPU & HUM v HUM. It may not be the answer you are looking for but to me it adds ton of realism to the game.
Old 06-16-2009, 07:30 AM   #15
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by turfguy23
I never had a problem getting sacks in 09' (and that's with the Lions)

My gamer skill is always around 625-650.

Here's the trick- DO YOUR JOB!

What does that mean? It means whoever your "user" controlling, you must follow you job assignment. If your the MLB and have man coverage on the Full Back...........then COVER THE Full Back. If your the FS and have a "cover 2" or "cover 3" zone responsibility...........then COVER THAT ZONE. I believe that if I take my user controlled player and full fill my responsibility on that given play, then my chances of a sack greatly increase.

Most of the time it's the users fault. Why? Because when they start "roaming" or "free lancing" then it usually leaves "their" guy open. The CPU logic sees this and takes advantage. I think the CPU AI goes after the USER first, and if that's covered they look to option 2, option 3, etc. I get many sacks by using this logic. I get sacks with overloaded pressure, attacking the weakest O-linemen, and with a simple 4 man rush. Try it, it works! Simply follow your own "user" assignment and the sacks will happen more often. Play as a "free lancer" and you'll get abused by the cpu AI.
i see how that could be a problem for some, but i religiously went by my assignments..only thing i changed in cover 3 was putting the SLB in the "pink" zone(not deep and not in the flats)..it took away the curl route that the CPU offense was constantly abusing me with ...anyway..it still didnt work for me, the QB would just do some acrobatic pass and get it to the WR perfectly time after time whenever i had a lineman or backer in his vicinity...sigh...FWIW my IQ hasnt been lower than around 770 since my first 2 weeks of playing
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 06-16-2009, 07:40 AM   #16
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by unisol_us
I thought this has been addressed by the tech where you will get ugly ducks when you are hit. I already seen it in the videos both HUM v CPU & HUM v HUM. It may not be the answer you are looking for but to me it adds ton of realism to the game.
i believe that was to counter the fact the user QB wouldnt release the ball even after the button was pressed because the sack animation had already started

my take from the OP was that the CPU QB would do fancy shmancy things in order to get the pass off before being touched by a user blitzer/Dlineman

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »