Home

The spin move

This is a discussion on The spin move within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 06-16-2009, 08:02 PM   #33
MVP

OVR: 12
Re: The spin move

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glorious Arc
Watch at the 1:05 mark. The RB gathers his feet as he leans back and slows down to perform the spin. Apex will tell you that you lean forward when you are running for speed and are more upright/leaning back when you are moving slower/trying to slow down. If you dont see him leaning back and gathering his feet(slowing down) then we will just have to agree to disagree. From the 35-40 yard line he is really moving but from the 40-45 yard line he is clearly moving slower as he prepares to perform his move.
Do you think I care what apex says? He had some good points but in contradicts him self. Apex made a video about how a guy should bend down when making a move and be almost straight up when running full speed

Then he made a thread on here showing a guy standing nearly straight up while running and saying "I hope this guy isn't running full speed"

In the video He slowed down slightly, most people are saying you can't maintain your speed and spin, the guy sure did in the video didn't he?

You don't magically get speed from a spin move unless you maintain the speed as you alter your direction.

Maybe they just need to add more animations depending on the speed your going when you do the spin, the higher rate of speed the more you got to studder step. Currently madden has no way to plant your feet or studder step, you just have to slow how fast your legs are moving which doesn't allow for realistic direction changing.

They also have to change the animations at higher rates of speed changing directions requires a runningback to shift their body in a different way then if they where running slower.
Old 06-16-2009, 08:03 PM   #34
Pro

OVR: 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by maddenps2
The guy in the video does not "almost come to a complete stop" give me a break.

You wanna explain to me how he maintains his speed if he almost comes to a "complete stop" i guess he can defy the laws of physics when it comes to speed, but he can't spin while running .

I'll tell you how...it's because he didn't "almost come to a complete stop" he used the speed at which he was traveling as momentum to spin around and maintain his speed...

The video proves you can do a great spin while running at a high speed...studder stepping and spinning while mainting speed and changing direction. When you spin off a foot you can alter your direction and maintain speed.
Two of us had it explained almost identically...

Quote:
That video just proved the original point. The RB slows down to almost a complete stop and you can see how hard he is trying to slow down as he places a lot of weight down and leans back and then he spins and picks up speed again.
The runner actually isn't putting any effort into forward motion at the time before the spin, he's trying to kill his speed by shifting his weight back. He's virtually running on the spot, to try and retain his momentum...(just try walking fast, then coming to street crossing and having to wait. It's easier to walk on the spot, than stop and start again). The runner absolutely doesn't run flat out, then spin without slowing down. That's physically impossible.

In Madden, the same runner in your vid would run flat out, then spin the other way without any appreciable slow down. That's really the point.
Old 06-16-2009, 08:11 PM   #35
MVP

OVR: 26

Quote:
Do you think I care what apex says? He had some good points but in contradicts him self. Apex made a video about how a guy should bend down when making a move and be almost straight up when running full speed

Then he made a thread on here showing a guy standing nearly straight up while running and saying "I hope this guy isn't running full speed"

In the video He slowed down slightly, most people are saying you can't maintain your speed and spin, the guy sure did in the video didn't he?

You don't magically get speed from a spin move unless you maintain the speed as you alter your direction.

Maybe they just need to add more animations depending on the speed your going when you do the spin, the higher rate of speed the more you got to studder step. Currently madden has no way to plant your feet or studder step, you just have to slow how fast your legs are moving which doesn't allow for realistic direction changing.

They also have to change the animations at higher rates of speed changing directions requires a runningback to shift their body in a different way then if they where running slower.
He does not maintain the same speed from the 35-40 mark going into the 40-45. He slows down does the spin move and then quickly gets back up to a similar speed he was at during the 35-40 mark. When he stumbled it took him a matter of a few steps to get up to speed and then he runs past the 35-40 yard set. That shows how quickly he can pick back up his speed and why it looks like he "maintains" his speed after the spin. People are saying that before and during the spin he is not running at full speed like you can in madden.

I have already stated that they need to add more animations to make the physics work properly because currently it is almost as bad as the RC to ignoring physics.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 06-16-2009, 08:13 PM   #36
MVP

So professional athletes can't spin or change direction while maintaining speed, that's news to me. Thanks for clearing that up, I'll tell lebron james the next time I see him
Old 06-16-2009, 08:15 PM   #37
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrewBledsoe
The runner actually isn't putting any effort into forward motion at the time before the spin, he's trying to kill his speed by shifting his weight back. He's virtually running on the spot, to try and retain his momentum...(just try walking fast, then coming to street crossing and having to wait. It's easier to walk on the spot, than stop and start again). The runner absolutely doesn't run flat out, then spin without slowing down. That's physically impossible.

In Madden, the same runner in your vid would run flat out, then spin the other way without any appreciable slow down. That's really the point.
I didnt say he was trying to move forward at all. I said he was putting his weight down(running in place) and he is trying to slow down so he can perform a spin. The guy who posted the vid was saying he does not even slow down as he makes his spin move.

And the bolded portion is really my main point yes. The RB IRL slows down and spins but in Madden he maintains the exact same speed until the player hits the spin move buttion and he then spins.
Old 06-16-2009, 08:20 PM   #38
MVP

Quote:
So professional athletes can't spin or change direction while maintaining speed, that's news to me. Thanks for clearing that up, I'll tell lebron james the next time I see him
So you are telling me that Lebron James can run at his top speed of probably 20+ MPH and then spin without changing his speed at all?

Find me a video and I will believe it.

I use the 20+ MPH because I quickly looked at James 40 yard dash and I saw during the combine that people who ran above 4.5s were running over 20+ MPH.

EDIT
I mean a video of James moving at a full sprint(top speed reached after running for 15-20 yards or so) and not him moving at a jog/starting to sprint.
Old 06-16-2009, 08:22 PM   #39
MVP

Your right athletes can't spin and maintain speed.

Old 06-16-2009, 08:22 PM   #40
Pro

OVR: 8

Quote:
I didnt say he was trying to move forward at all. I said he was putting his weight down(running in place) and he is trying to slow down so he can perform a spin. The guy who posted the vid was saying he does not even slow down as he makes his spin move.

And the bolded portion is really my main point yes. The RB IRL slows down and spins but in Madden he maintains the exact same speed until the player hits the spin move buttion and he then spins.
Read the post again...I was just quoting the fact (to maddenps2) that you and I were in complete agreement...the post wasn't directed at you in any way

I should probably have said "The two of us explained it almost identically ...see below..

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »