Home

Progression Frequency Poll

This is a discussion on Progression Frequency Poll within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?
View Poll Results: How often do you want player to progression in Franchise Mode
Last Gen, After preseason, 4 times regular season, off season 36 53.73%
Only off season 15 22.39%
Preseason, two times regular season, after playoffs, and off season. 16 23.88%
Voters: 67. You may not vote on this poll

Old 06-17-2009, 04:35 PM   #17
Pro

dougdeuce's Arena

OVR: 18
Re: Progression Frequency Poll

Quote:
Originally Posted by stux
I am a fan of an idea like that as well.

My belief is there should be a range for every rating. Week to week there should be a static number in the range.

Then after the year is over the player's rating ranges can all progress.

Example:

THA SHORT 88-93 and given game could be any number from 88-93

End of the year the guy has good potential and a great year his range would progress to say 90-95.

That would happen for every rating.
I like the idea of fluctuating ratings. Nobody is a set amount of quality week after week. Even Jordan missed shots. not many, but some.
Old 06-17-2009, 04:36 PM   #18
GO PACK GO

PlatooN's Arena

OVR: 17

i loved how it was last gen. Getting those emails about what players were hot and cold...players should regress as well
Old 06-17-2009, 04:39 PM   #19
Banned

OVR: 12

Any system other then this static number system from beginning of the year to end would make me happy.

Progression, ranges, temporary increases, etc.

Anything other then static fixed number barring injury. The only thing effecting it is injury for the entire year.
Old 06-17-2009, 04:40 PM   #20
Banned

OVR: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by dougdeuce
so what you're saying is each player should have a potential rating?
a 68 ovr player isn't better than that because he performs well.

however, if a player who has a potential of 94 is currently rated 68 and he steps up for a couple games, maybe he should be a 75. the league would definitely look at him that way as they began to game-plan for him.
I'm not saying he SHOULDN'T progress, I'm just saying if a guy has no catches for the first 3 games of the season, then has two games with 10 and 12 catches, then he has a few games of 2 or 3 catches, then no catches for a few games, then another one with 10... he shouldn't be progressing because he is inconsistent. The stats should be looked at when the season is over, and by those stats, AND his potential rating, he should be boosted/dropped accordingly.

I think it could throw the entire ratings system out of whack to be raising a guy after just a few games... like in my previous scenario, let's say he has a few good weeks, and he gets bumped up, say 3 OVR... what happens if he doesn't do anything for the next few weeks, will 3 OVR be taken away?? There would be outrage if that happened.
Old 06-17-2009, 04:45 PM   #21
Rookie

OVR: 4

I like the idea of game by game progression. Peyton Manning has a couple bad games and sure isn't playing like a 99 he could go down to 89 if he's playing average. He would have to work his way up and much like real life, would have to put up those Peyton Manning type numbers to be considered "back". The only problems would be if your in a pass happy offense, your running back would probably suck by the end of the year and not getting carries. The only fair way to do it i guess would be based on Attempts/rushing yards or Attempts/completions rather than just numbers at the end of the game.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 06-17-2009, 04:48 PM   #22
Banned

OVR: 12

I personally think it does change that much in a 4 game period.

A few years back Grossman had a 3 or 4 game stretch were he was the best QB in the league. Then the rest of the year happened. He was HOT those few games I saw one of them. He has like 300 yards, 4 TDs and no INTs. He was playing at another level then the rest of the year.

A player like Grossman needs to be a large range NOT a static number during the course of a season. I do not think if he is a static 68 during an entire season you are going to see that much hot and cold on his stats. You aren't likely to see a passer ratings of 3 one week followed by 123 then next.

There has to be a progression/regression/ratings system that would work to reflect that.

AND static numbers just aren't it.
Old 06-17-2009, 04:49 PM   #23
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by 18manning18
I like the idea of game by game progression. Peyton Manning has a couple bad games and sure isn't playing like a 99 he could go down to 89 if he's playing average. He would have to work his way up and much like real life, would have to put up those Peyton Manning type numbers to be considered "back". The only problems would be if your in a pass happy offense, your running back would probably suck by the end of the year and not getting carries. The only fair way to do it i guess would be based on Attempts/rushing yards or Attempts/completions rather than just numbers at the end of the game.
The problem with that though, is it turns into a vicious cycle. Say Manning gets dropped to an 89, that means his attributes are that of an 89, so he'll continue to PLAY like an 89, especially if he's controlled by the CPU.

When he was rated a 99, the WORST he could probably play is at about an 85 level, we'll say. Now that he's an 89, the worst he could play is a 75... so it would not be accurate at all to have numbers fluctuate so much. It would lead to terribly inaccurate stats. Peyton Manning will never play at a 75 OVR rating... Maybe for one or two games, but not for long enough to drop his rating like that.
Old 06-17-2009, 05:15 PM   #24
Banned

I think a few different methods will work, i just really dislike the progression-regression after every game.

Im not completely opposed to end of season progression, i mean some people would say the sign of a good player is when they can consistently produce, and if you produce for a season, you go up.

Last gen's progression system was also very nice, but we sometimes ran into the to much progression because of all the opportunities.

What i think they should start with is:

1)Pre Season Progression- This progression period is strictly for Rookies and Young players (not vets). Young players who have not had an opportunity to play much yet during the regular season, will progress if they see significant playing time in the pre season. Progression in pre season will be small, maybe 1-2 points overal.

2)Mid Season Progression-Progression will occur at the end of week 8 or 9. Players Who bust out or perform at a high level for this period will see ratings increases of lets say up to 3 points.

3)End of season progression-players who consistently performed at a higher level then expected for the season will again progress up to 3 points.

4)End of playoff progression-Players who suddenly bust out in the playoffs (say eli manning). Will receive a ratings boost up to say 2 points. PLayoff progression will be limited to players who really bust out bigtime when things matter the most, the playoffs.

I think it would be a decent system =)

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »