Home

the running controls

This is a discussion on the running controls within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 06-17-2009, 08:28 PM   #1
Rookie

OVR: 22
the running controls

Now while i am very happy about the vast improvements to the game, I'm still very unsure about the running controls. I know Ian said that they were gonna focus on this and locomotion more in madden 11, but Im still wondering if there is time to get the running controls up to speed because this is something I thought was severely lacking the past few years in madden.

(I hate to bring this up) but i think that one of the reasons 2k5 (ugh) was so effin good was because of its running controls. They had it down perfectly (almost anyways). They WASTED NO configuration on the controller! The past several years we've seen many buttons on the controller that weren't used for anything. This is unacceptable.

Since i'm a sony person, I think that the controller layout (for the ground game) should be something like this:

x - stiffarm
square - dive
O - spin
triangle - shoulder charge (a la 2k5. the protect ball thing is dumb quite frankly. who would ever just wrap up the ball and not brace for impact and try to deflect the hit?)
L1 - Quick burst juke left (a la apex and madden 04-06)/ Wide juke left (pressure sensitive)
R1 - same as above but to the right.
R2 - Sprint
L2 - Pitch?
Right stick up - stutter step
Right stick down - back juke
Right stick left - juke left (small jukes)
Right stick right - juke right

L1 <> R1 - double jukes
I also think that a big feature in 2k5's running game was that if up pushed the right stick up and then to the left or right, the running back would make a spin in that direction which is great because it feels natural and it makes sense since that's what running backs do.

PSN: Gorilla-bob-Mac
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 06-17-2009, 08:55 PM   #2
Rookie

OVR: 5
Re: the running controls

I like those controls.
Old 06-17-2009, 09:03 PM   #3
Rookie

OVR: 4

Just throwing this in there but shoulder charge is basically truck stick, i think they should leave that one on the joystick, cause stutter step and back juke are also pretty interchangeable, at least in my opinion. So not to devalue your post but, basically add a quick juke lol
Old 06-17-2009, 09:04 PM   #4
RKO!!

PantherBeast_OS's Arena

OVR: 53

I just wish for the contrals to stay the same instead of them been changed ever year. It gets annoying having to use to no controls everytime they switch them around.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »