Home

Madden 10: The New NHL07

This is a discussion on Madden 10: The New NHL07 within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 06-19-2009, 12:24 AM   #41
MVP

MattIntellect's Arena

OVR: 26
Re: Madden 10: The New NHL07

Quote:
Originally Posted by turfguy23
How do you know that these "tweaks and add-ons" won't make the game feel completely new and different? It sounds like the Pro-Tak is a pretty big deal and added far more to the game than EA expected. Call is a "pleasant surprise" with all it was capable of.

I won't call this an "Old game" until I play it. From the videos it looks very much different than 09'. Reality is that very few people have played the latest build and no one has played the final version yet. So let's not call Madden 10 an "old game" until we get our hands on it. I'm sure it will be dissected like a frog in a 6th grade Science class and then we can make our judgments.
Absolutely and this game does look completely different for it to be called an old game. The final verdict will be out until I actually play the game though.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 06-19-2009, 12:25 AM   #42
Banned

OVR: 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian_Cummings_EA
No offense taken...good question/points.

Well what you're seeing is going to be a multi-year overhaul. Madden 10 (IMO) is the best one yet, though you can't please everyone. You guys don't often see the behind the scenes nuts and bolts stuff going on, but this new team isn't a "throw a new coat of paint on it" type of team. We've re-written and re-factored (overhauled) a lot of core systems this year and last, especially in the area of presentation and gameplay. We have made some areas into Ferraris and Bentleys under the hood, yet we still do have a few Pinto's to still replace. Overhauling the entire game in one year is a bad call - it was tried in Madden 06 and it didn't pan out. Those titles that you mentioned didn't really get major "THROW EVERYTHING AWAY" overhauls except for when they moved to next-gen. NHL and FIFA being perfect examples...they took a 2 year cycle. We don't have that luxury so we pick and choose the most important areas and still bust our asses to make a game into a must-buy.

I am typically not the guy to say, "sorry, wait til next year and maybe we'll fix it"...but honestly that has to happen every year in sports games ya know? Until the game looks, feels, and re-creates every single minute detail (which is never), there will always be someone that says "Why didn't EA get shoelaces animating" and there will always be one of us having to say "maybe we'll look into it next year".

Thanks for the response Ian.

Whats unfortunate is that i realize Madden especially is EA's "500 LB Gorilla" and that they (EA Corp.) COUNT on that titles sales each and every year. In a way the Madden franchise has become its own worst enemy. Its HUGE. Just as big as ANY other big name title or franchise out there. So its MANDATORY for the game to release each and every single year, and on-time.

Just wish Tiburon and EA Corp. would begin work on an entirley new game ground up behind the scenes. Work on it for 2 years while still releasing the current game with its normal tweaks and add-ons, ya know?

I may be asking for far too much, but IMHO i thought "Next Gen" meant the days of Mo-capped, scripted animations would be gone. I thought every facet of the animations would be done procedurally, so no 2 catch, tackle, block, throw animations etc. would ever be the same. Just more variety and randomness based on physics.

Honestly, one of the biggest problems i still have with Madden is that each individual player no matter his position is not emphasized nearly enough. Individual players and teams. For instance, an All-Pro Offensive linemen should get serious push, the defensive player should have to compensate for his ability. Same thing for a great defensive team like the Steelers. Big boy NT Hampton and superstar DT's like haynesworth should get PUSH upfield to stuff the run and make QB's uncomfortable.

For far too long have players been able to stop or at minimum contain a STRONG running teams ground game with dime and quarter defenses. When you play against the NY Giants, as a defensive player you should have to actually GEAR up to stop the run.

The game has been dumbed down to who can Jetpack/Rocket/strafe catch. Throw it up 1 out of 4 times and the WR will get one. This just isn't football at all. You better believe that when an offense goes up against an ELITE pass rushing DE or LB, they better help the OT with a RB or TE. If not that star defensive pass rusher should reek havoc.

Bottom line is players should have to actually coach more, play to teams strengths and attack weaknesses, rather than call quarters to effectively stuff the run, or just master Rocket catching every route so that even when the defense KNOWS whats coming its impossible to stop.

Sorry for the long rant, again its just out of love for the game.
Old 06-19-2009, 12:32 AM   #43
Banned

OVR: 24

As a guy who went to the Community Day, I can say I don't think Madden 10 takes the same leap that NHL 08 did.

This is not a criticism of the game, but NHL 08 wasn't just a leap, it was a leap of epic proportions.

IMO, Madden 10 is hugely improved over Madden 09 and plugs in a ton of holes in that game ... but it is not NHL 08 in terms of the leap.

My gut tells me a lot of people are gonna be very, very happy with Madden 10. It has addressed many, many concerns ... but to say it's made the leap that NHL 08 made over NHL 07 would be me lying and a desperate bid to get invited to next year's event.

NHL 08 was a revelation for that series.

Madden 10, to me, is making up for a lot of mistakes in the past.
Old 06-19-2009, 12:33 AM   #44
Rookie

OVR: 4

Hey ian,

I really can't help but feel i won't get the straightup yes or no answer i want but it's worth trying. In your opinion do you feel comfortable comparing madden 10 to Madden 05 or whatever you deem to be the best Madden so far. Now i know there completely different animals, different features, and hell, a whole different engine. What i mean is that in my personal opinion, it was just such a satisfying game, no high percentage plays that couldn't be stopped, and most importantly it didn't get old. IF you could answer, it'd be complete awesomeness.

Basically the short version, can you say this is the best Madden ever at least in your opinion? Or just the best Madden on next-gen?
Old 06-19-2009, 12:46 AM   #45
Proctor, MN. Go Rails!

Vikes1's Arena

OVR: 23

My son bought me NHL '08' a month or so ago...and we/I haven't stopped playing it since. I'd describe the gameplay as satisfying and rewarding. The presentation while not overwhelming...but it seems well placed and fairly immersing. Overall, a very solid playing and fun game, imo. To be perfectly frank, I just haven't felt the same way about Madden as of '09'.

One of the truly great, but basic things that makes NHL such a solid and fun game are the skating and general moving animations. When skating with your "control man"...it actually feels like your skating. The skating animations look imo, just great. And feel even better.

As of Madden '09'...rather than feeling as though I'm running with the player I'm controlling, it feels more like I'm just moving him instead. Kind of a disconnect type of feel to it. My point being, I'm really starting to understand just how important something as basic as animations, can make or break a sports game. It's reassuring to feel as though the new Madden team understands this. And is attempting to make Madden's animations more fluid and lifelike. Imo...it's not there quite yet, but I do see good progress though.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 06-19-2009, 12:52 AM   #46
MVP

Bgamer90's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave374
As a guy who went to the Community Day, I can say I don't think Madden 10 takes the same leap that NHL 08 did.

This is not a criticism of the game, but NHL 08 wasn't just a leap, it was a leap of epic proportions.

IMO, Madden 10 is hugely improved over Madden 09 and plugs in a ton of holes in that game ... but it is not NHL 08 in terms of the leap.

My gut tells me a lot of people are gonna be very, very happy with Madden 10. It has addressed many, many concerns ... but to say it's made the leap that NHL 08 made over NHL 07 would be me lying and a desperate bid to get invited to next year's event.

NHL 08 was a revelation for that series.

Madden 10, to me, is making up for a lot of mistakes in the past.
All I want is a football game that I'll play for a whole year (like I did with the last gen maddens).

If it's an "epic overhaul" or if it's "hugely improved", as long as what I said above is true, I'll be very happy.
Old 06-19-2009, 01:00 AM   #47
Banned

OVR: 24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bgamer90
All I want is a football game that I'll play for a whole year (like I did with the last gen maddens).

If it's an "epic overhaul" or if it's "hugely improved", as long as what I said above is true, I'll be very happy.
If I had to place bets, I suspect I'd bet in favour of you being happy.
Old 06-19-2009, 01:03 AM   #48
MVP

MattIntellect's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave374
If I had to place bets, I suspect I'd bet in favour of you being happy.
So, in your words, Madden 10 is a game that will be played till August of 2010. Am I right?

I know that this is your personal opinion.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »