Home

So, I decided to rent Madden 09 (PS2) for spits and giggles...

This is a discussion on So, I decided to rent Madden 09 (PS2) for spits and giggles... within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 06-22-2009, 03:56 AM   #57
Nza
MVP

OVR: 16
Re: So, I decided to rent Madden 09 (PS2) for spits and giggles...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Segagendude
It was fun to play. I only wish it had some sort of halftime and postgame presentation.......no replays or anything. Just a giant scoreboard. Oh well.

(incidentally, I've been playing the PC version much more lately; I now have 2009-10 rosters and schedules, and it's like having Madden 10. Plus, no jaggies!!!! Everything's much crisper on my puter.......)
Hence why I always encourage last-gen fans to try Madden 08 PC. It was the best Madden available since its release, and could remain as much. Community keeps it up to date, bunch of cool downloads, franchise with unrivaled control thanks to editors (not totally a self plug there, MaddenAmp too ). Works straight out of the box with a 360 controller. Don't need a beast PC to play it.

If you can look past the lack of branching tackles and next-gen graphics (looks ok, but quite dated still), it's hard not to see how it's the best version.
Old 06-22-2009, 04:27 AM   #58
Rookie

nighttrain32's Arena

OVR: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by swaldo
I'm confused. What makes the old gen version of Madden 09 so special? From NG4's PS2 review (they scored it 7/10).....

"Closing Comments:
There's a point where you can tell that the emphasis has shifted to a newer console and its development cycle – Madden NFL 09 seems to have crossed that line, particularly because the gameplay feels so much like last year's title with only a handful of changes made here and there. The casual focus seems to have taken over much of the title, and while Family Play will be enjoyable for newcomers and beginners, veterans will quickly become bored or annoyed by the lack of innovation found here. It's not a horrible game, but it just doesn't do anything new at all, making it a watered down copy of last year's game with only mild items to keep your attention for a few minutes here and there."
this game reviewer probly wasn't too excited to review this game. i would much rather play my ps2 madden 07 over madden 09 on 360 because of GAMEPLAY. the gamplay didn't get old for me on the ps2 but i can't stand when the cpu throws to his guys and my defenders don't react to the ball when they're looking at it wheather it be a swat, pick or big hit. instead the move out of the way so the pass can be completed. things like that happen to me all too much in 09 and thats why my franchise is still in week one on my 360 and year 9 on my ps2. if you look at the next gen games, the graphics are better and thats pretty much it. there is still a lack of features that we had on the last gen games.
Old 06-22-2009, 09:37 AM   #59
Nza
MVP

OVR: 16

Sometimes I think the PS2 era engine was better simply because it didn't try to get too fancy, mostly to do with the animations. It put out a solid simple approach. Systems like branching animations and what not sound great in theory, but in reality, all they introduce is a distraction from real ways to better the game, and a bevy of new issues if they're not done right, and what's considered "right" becomes a thinner and thinner line to navigate as the tech is increased. You risk going off course big time.

It's the same story in all gaming - the tech may be moving faster than developers can keep up these days. Not skill wise so much, but from an understanding POV - understanding how to keep it balanced and how to make the tech plug into the game, not the game work around the tech. This seems more prevalent in sports gaming because of many factors, but one is simply because a lot of this tech is animation related, and animations = control in sports gaming more so than most genres, and poor control = poor game.
Old 06-22-2009, 10:11 AM   #60
MVP

StormJH1's Arena

OVR: 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by bengalboy1991
The current gen game play does not compare to the PS2 version. Although I have a 360, it saddens me to say that I will be purchasing the PS2 version again!

Even though the 360 version will have another camera view, it will not compare to the ps2's. I'd rather play with stick figures with great gameplay than the graphics looking great with little substance.
Ian - First, thank you very much for your feedback. We are all critics and often cynics, but I've been very encouraged by some of the changes you've discussed in Madden 10 (360) and will be giving that product a serious look in August.

Second, I would really encourage you to take a look at what those PS2 versions of Madden do well and apply that to future versions of current-gen Madden. In particular the defensive line play in Madden 2005 or 2006 was far more engaging than the
options we have now.

While the motion capture stuff looks nice in HD videos, I have never understood why you guys took so much control out of our hands. There used to a be a specific button ("X" on PS2) to push or bull rush a defender. Also, we got 4 buttons to allow us to spin or strafe in the direction of our choice. Even if the physics in those PS2 games weren't great, this control method was still pretty FUN, because the success or failure of those moves would depend on the positioning and rating of the defensive player. Also, playing defense on those last-gen Madden titles gave you more of a sense of purpose--even if you weren't the one making the tackle, you could play as the 350-pound defensive tackle and completely blow up the blocking scheme by bull rushing the middle of the line.

I really miss the little aspects of control that we used to have. But I wish you the best of luck with your new product--just something to consider.
Old 06-22-2009, 10:53 AM   #61
DJ
Hall Of Fame

DJ's Arena

OVR: 47

Another thing I really liked about the PS2 version of 09 was the scouting report you'd get on your opponents before the game. You could view their entire roster and the game would highlight 2-3 players that you had to focus on slowing down to be successful. There was also a nice practice mode in franchise where you could practice 3 plays the coaches deemed would be the most effective for you on offense or defense. Do well in practice on those plays and your chances of executing them well in the game increased.

There's also the national and local newspaper element to the game and of course, hearing Al and John call the game is great. It's also nice to see the CPU actually try and win the games; some teams will pound you with the running game, others will air it out while others will go with a balanced attack.
EA Sports PGA Tour (PS5)
PGA Tour 2K23 (PS5)
Super Mario Bros. Wonder (Switch)
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 06-22-2009, 12:37 PM   #62
Banned

OVR: 24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nza
Hence why I always encourage last-gen fans to try Madden 08 PC. It was the best Madden available since its release, and could remain as much. Community keeps it up to date, bunch of cool downloads, franchise with unrivaled control thanks to editors (not totally a self plug there, MaddenAmp too ). Works straight out of the box with a 360 controller. Don't need a beast PC to play it.

If you can look past the lack of branching tackles and next-gen graphics (looks ok, but quite dated still), it's hard not to see how it's the best version.

They look fine to me. In fact, with the graphics settings all on highest settings, it rivals the NG Maddens visually.....JMO.
Old 06-22-2009, 01:21 PM   #63
Banned

Nintari's Arena

OVR: 11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Segagendude
Plus, no jaggies!!!! Everything's much crisper on my puter.......)
This is a common misconception and I hear about it all the time. The reason people think the PS2 game has a lot of "jaggies" is because most of them are playing it on an HDTV.

Try plugging your PS2 up to a regular CRT 480i TV via composite cables. No Svideo, just the good old yellow,white and red composite cables. Playstation 2 games were developed and designed for that configuration and if you play them that way you'll see just how great they look compared to playing them on a 40 inch LCD.
Old 06-22-2009, 02:24 PM   #64
MVP

StormJH1's Arena

OVR: 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nintari
This is a common misconception and I hear about it all the time. The reason people think the PS2 game has a lot of "jaggies" is because most of them are playing it on an HDTV.

Try plugging your PS2 up to a regular CRT 480i TV via composite cables. No Svideo, just the good old yellow,white and red composite cables. Playstation 2 games were developed and designed for that configuration and if you play them that way you'll see just how great they look compared to playing them on a 40 inch LCD.
Well, kinda. You're absolutely right that you don't see jaggies on a regular TV with the yellow video cable, but the reason for that is that the projected image is blurred so that you can't see the jaggies.

An LCD display of any kind is capable of displaying sharper images because it's done pixel-by-pixel. "Crispness" and "resolution" are two different things--the same quality of image shown on a CRT and LCD computer monitor will be cripser on the computer monitor, but may also reveal the limitations of that visual image, so people perceive the blurred image as "better looking."

It's similar to the way crappy guitar playing can be disguised by covering it up with a distortion pedal...same concept.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »