Home

Pro-Tak Question

This is a discussion on Pro-Tak Question within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 06-23-2009, 01:46 PM   #1
MVP

StormJH1's Arena

OVR: 13
Pro-Tak Question

This must have been addressed in a previous thread, but in Pro-Tak, is there some kind of control input (Like mashing the "A" button, similar to 2k5/2k8) that helps you power through tackles (or complete tackles on defense?) Or do you just lose control once you're engaged, as with previous Maddens?
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 06-23-2009, 01:57 PM   #2
49ers

adembroski's Arena

OVR: 43
Re: Pro-Tak Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by StormJH1
This must have been addressed in a previous thread, but in Pro-Tak, is there some kind of control input (Like mashing the "A" button, similar to 2k5/2k8) that helps you power through tackles (or complete tackles on defense?) Or do you just lose control once you're engaged, as with previous Maddens?
It's like tackles in 09 and NCAA 10... the standard move buttons work normally. If you've got a power guy, you wanna truck your way through. Also, you can try to move the pile simply by moving in the direction you want to go.

The first kind is wrong. The second is superfluous.

The only difference between reality and fiction is that fiction needs to be credible.
-Mark Twain.
Old 06-25-2009, 12:54 PM   #3
MVP

StormJH1's Arena

OVR: 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by adembroski
It's like tackles in 09 and NCAA 10... the standard move buttons work normally. If you've got a power guy, you wanna truck your way through. Also, you can try to move the pile simply by moving in the direction you want to go.
Darn. Well, I guess that could work fine, and no, everything doesn't have to be like 2k did it. My only concern would be that it seems like the results from button presses have become less and less predictable as the games and animations have become more complex.

In Madden 2005/2006, up on the R stick meant either a "Truck Move" or a highlight move, and when you pressed it, it happened. So, if you burst ahead too early (and lost your momentum), a linebacker could come right up and deck you afterwards. In that respect, it was similar to the way the "shoulder charge" worked so well in 2k5. (Triangle or "Y" button)

Now, I feel like these special moves aren't moves at all, but rather animations that either occur in space or in a suction animation between two players. And when I do something like a lineman disengage move or a "highlight stick", I have no idea what my guy is going to try and do.
Old 06-25-2009, 02:26 PM   #4
Orange and Blue!

Broncos86's Arena

OVR: 31

I see where you're going, but I don't want to mash buttons like that.
Old 06-25-2009, 04:43 PM   #5
Rookie

MaddenAddicto's Arena

OVR: 4

Finally im starting to understand what pro talk is.
Old 06-25-2009, 04:57 PM   #6
MVP

kt-od's Arena

OVR: 24

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaddenAddicto
Finally im starting to understand what pro talk is.
Help me out, because I still don't really get it.
Old 06-25-2009, 05:58 PM   #7
Orange and Blue!

Broncos86's Arena

OVR: 31

Quote:
Originally Posted by kt-od
Help me out, because I still don't really get it.
What aren't you getting? Okay, in Madden 09, if you engaged in a block with the O-Line, you were rooted until the animation was over. There was no moving left, no moving right. This meant that the "pocket" was little more than a bent line, not a true pocket.

PRO-TAK allows players to engage in these blocks and drive each other left/right/forward/back as well, depending on ratings. This means that DEs can drive up field while still being blocked and form a pocket (don't get LB and Adem started on that, though).

Also, PRO-TAK allows true gang tackles, up to 9 players. It's not a pre-formed animation. Players can procedurally tack onto the pile and drive it back/forth.
Old 06-25-2009, 06:02 PM   #8
MVP

kt-od's Arena

OVR: 24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Broncos86
What aren't you getting? Okay, in Madden 09, if you engaged in a block with the O-Line, you were rooted until the animation was over. There was no moving left, no moving right. This meant that the "pocket" was little more than a bent line, not a true pocket.

PRO-TAK allows players to engage in these blocks and drive each other left/right/forward/back as well, depending on ratings. This means that DEs can drive up field while still being blocked and form a pocket (don't get LB and Adem started on that, though).

Also, PRO-TAK allows true gang tackles, up to 9 players. It's not a pre-formed animation. Players can procedurally tack onto the pile and drive it back/forth.
Great explanation. Thanks!!!

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »