Home

Accelerated Clock ....What Is Its Purpose?

This is a discussion on Accelerated Clock ....What Is Its Purpose? within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?
Closed Thread

Old 06-23-2009, 04:24 PM   #9
MVP

RGiles36's Arena

OVR: 34
Re: Accelerated Clock ....What Is Its Purpose?

Quote:
Originally Posted by titansftw
How is the use of accelerated clock not ridiculosly obvious?
It's not as dumb a question as you may think. Some people just aren't familiar with the terminology and often don't understand its use. Seeing as I wasn't much of a Madden PS2 player myself, I didn't realize what Accelerated Clock was until a couple years ago. Lay off the man.
Old 06-23-2009, 04:29 PM   #10

Deegeezy's Arena

OVR: 15

I remember the original Madden would actually show your guys going in and out of the huddle based on the formation you picked. I never realized how important that small thing was to the sim back then as a young kid. It made stuff like the accelerated clock unneccessary somewhat.
Old 06-23-2009, 04:49 PM   #11
T9R
Rookie

OVR: 5

Quote:
A better fix would be to make going to the new LOS, huddling and substitutions all real time events. but accel clock is the best we have atm.

really, how is that not obvious?>
Yes, but then we would be playing 3 hour long games.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 06-23-2009, 06:13 PM   #12
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by rgiles36
It's not as dumb a question as you may think. Some people just aren't familiar with the terminology and often don't understand its use. Seeing as I wasn't much of a Madden PS2 player myself, I didn't realize what Accelerated Clock was until a couple years ago. Lay off the man.

Okay I gues your right. Sorry blklighting. I was being douchbaggary.

Quote:
Originally Posted by T9R
Yes, but then we would be playing 3 hour long games.
I'd go for that

As long as the commentary was massively extended and revampt so it wouldn't get repetitive and dull. To to that they probably would have to consider literally taking audio from real games them selves and scoring through them to find clips.

That'd take a LOT of work. But if they did it it would dwarf every sport game in history.
Old 06-23-2009, 06:42 PM   #13
True.

Chef Matt's Arena

OVR: 44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deegeezy
It simulates the time it takes in real life to call a play, break the huddle, and get to the line of scrimmage. In Madden, this can be done in less than 10 seconds which is unrealistic. The accelerated clock makes it so where you get to the line with 15 seconds or fewer on the play clock like real life.

Exactly. I stopped playing madden because this was taken out. Sorry please don't flame, but I want realistic game stats and I don't have time to take an hour and a half out of day to play 1 game.
Old 06-23-2009, 07:03 PM   #14
49ers

adembroski's Arena

OVR: 43

Quote:
How is the use of accelerated clock not ridiculosly obvious?

How long does it take to move to the new line of scrimage, huddle, send in substitutions, and call a play in real football? Anywhere from 15 to 35 seconds. Sometimes more if there is a mistake in the flow (and then a delay of game penalty).

How long does it take in Madden? 5 seconds or less.

Accelerated clock is a patchwork fix for this descrepency.

A better fix would be to make going to the new LOS, huddling and substitutions all real time events. but accel clock is the best we have atm.

really, how is that not obvious?>
Yeah, that's a big "No" to giving up on family and friends for the sake of watching polygons walk on and off a fake football field. You want real time TV Timeouts too? Accelerated clock works just fine.

The first kind is wrong. The second is superfluous.

The only difference between reality and fiction is that fiction needs to be credible.
-Mark Twain.
Old 06-23-2009, 07:07 PM   #15
Rookie

MaddenAddicto's Arena

OVR: 4

I didnt know about all of this, I will try it out on madden 10.
Old 06-23-2009, 07:33 PM   #16
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by adembroski
Yeah, that's a big "No" to giving up on family and friends for the sake of watching polygons walk on and off a fake football field.

What if you had the option to like push x after every play and skip it? Id go for that.

Quote:
You want real time TV Timeouts too? Accelerated clock works just fine.
Sure, in playoff games or the super bowl.

Maybe what they could do is after each quarter put the same art work on the screen that the TV broadcasts do, with say, Al Michaels saying something relevant to the particular score every time (something different- instead of the old "Titans 13, Ravens 7" crap they do), and then the screen can go black, and then come back to a stadium shot from a blimp with something like "A beautiful night in Tennessee..." etc just before the play call screen comes up.

No comercials, but the cutaways and cut scenes after a comercial from a quarter end would be fantastic.

And then... in the Super Bowl give us either a comical comercial or two (which is bank for EA if products want some cheap advertising + authentic Broadcast presentation) or at least a real halftime show. They already give us the poor man's version of this with the whole "Be A Chompian" thing.
Closed Thread

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »