Home

Whats the Most Important Gameplay Issues That Have Not Yet Been Addressed?

This is a discussion on Whats the Most Important Gameplay Issues That Have Not Yet Been Addressed? within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 06-24-2009, 01:42 AM   #33
Banned

OVR: 9
Re: Whats the Most Important Gameplay Issues That Have Not Yet Been Addressed?

physics physics physics...we all know the running physics need work still, but things like QB footplanting is key too.

in 2k8, if you got your thumb on that left stick its gonna affect the pass. its manageable if you're scrambling with a scrambling QB but no matter what if you're just back peddling 15 yards from the LOS then passing that pass is coming up short and you're not able to still throw it 50+ yards

this video shows how it should be

Old 06-24-2009, 03:22 AM   #34
MVP

King Gro23's Arena

OVR: 21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyrant8RDFL
I like your idea with 4 -5 different run types, but I would go with positions over weight.

HB's - FB's/TE's - WR's - O-line - D-line - LB's - CB's/Sfty's -

I would end up with 7 different run types.

Nice Idea King Gro23
Yes, That totally makes more sense because when I was scaling through the weights it was difficult because some people at higher weights can move around like an agile player. But yes thats a better theory it would work out better. I dont know if you caught what I meant totally but say running type for running backs there needs to be a selection EX: Running back : type 1, type 2, type 3 . . .etc for each position

Suscribe on Youtube
https://www.youtube.com/user/GleezyBaby43
Gleezybaby43
Old 06-24-2009, 03:25 AM   #35
MVP

King Gro23's Arena

OVR: 21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tengo Juego
Are you the author of these videos? Very good analysis. Better than Apex thats for sure.
No A friend of mine, But I think they are better in certain ways , Apex dwells more on about 2-3 aspects. While these look a several aspects and give you a better feel and idea about whats completely going on.

Suscribe on Youtube
https://www.youtube.com/user/GleezyBaby43
Gleezybaby43
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 06-24-2009, 04:06 AM   #36
Banned

OVR: 9

Ah-HA! This was the video i was actually looking for!

Old 06-24-2009, 09:05 AM   #37
Rookie

nighttrain32's Arena

OVR: 5

momentum. period. darren sproles isn't running over anybody in real life so why is it that in madden he can? brandon jacobs punishes smaller defenders so when he meets up with a db, he WILL fall forward maybe even run through him and keep going for spits and giggles. if a player runs into 2 defenders, he goes backwards, NO BRANCHING ANIMATIONS FOR DEAD FEET.

oh yeah and player ai. i hate playing a game where the dbs always cover perfect but when the ball is in the air they move out of the way. please fix backers too. the play power o sucks because the guard and fullback always miss the free man running up field who should get ear-holed to the fullest. please believe that!!

player interactions with other players. dbs who give huge cushions and maintain them and at the same time, press guys who rape downfield like al harris. trench battles where one lineman puts their guy on skates whereas another lineman get dominated and to that for al blockers too. there shouldn't just be a brick wall in front of the players. cbs going for knees more and linebackers who rarely miss a tackle.

how about a ratings drop in direct correlation to the use of the sprint button. a qb who runs before his throws with have worse throwing mechanics because he's tired. a wr who runs deep routes will drop the ball once in a while because he's tired. an rb who gets the ball 25+ times will have a higher chance of fumbling because he's tired. a defense that has been on the field more than the offense is more prone to a mental lapse or physical breakdown resulting in a good play for the offense because......they're tired. same goes for offenses too. in the 4th quarter, guys should be slower and lazier if they have been playing the whole game without rotating out. also, subing players later in games may result in mediocre play if they're not warm. the stamina from head coach should be implemented so if a player has 50% fatigue, he is more prone to injury.

i know. this is unreasonable and maybe not attainable on this techology but thats football.
Old 06-24-2009, 10:06 AM   #38
MVP

BezO's Arena

OVR: 20

Quote:
Originally Posted by adembroski
Linebackers, period. If they don't do a damn thing else from now until Gold but work on tuning linebacker AI, I'll be happy. In fact, if I were in the building right now, I'd be bringing the lumber like I was Terry Tate on anyone qualified to work on it who wasn't.

If Linebacker AI ships as is, it is a game killer, period. It's that bad at last viewing.

Linebackers dropping into zones before reacting to an Iso is positively unforgivable. It's not even a realistic mistake... no NFL linebacker is that stupid. Hesitate? Maybe. Actually begin back-peddling... hell no! You do not ever... EVER bail if the QB is still showing you his back!
!!!
Old 06-24-2009, 10:52 AM   #39
Rookie

OVR: 1
Thumbs down Re: Whats the Most Important Gameplay Issues That Have Not Yet Been Addressed?

Quote:
I'm going to tip toe through my words because of the over sensitivity of some on these boards
I know it's pathetic. I'm new to the forums and since my join date (3 weeks ago) I've had my 2 threads closed and been written up twice because I called a mod a "forum Nazi" hahahaha.. Wow.

I'm an Admin of a Jets site and a mod at maddentips.com and this sites higher powers are ridiculous. I'll probably get an infraction for this as well. Hopefully they ban my account.

This sites admin will hear me. How can he be contacted out of curiosity?
Old 06-24-2009, 10:56 AM   #40
Rookie

Dynamite's Arena

OVR: 8

To be honest, it's the digital running that kills this for me.

That's the biggest issue in my mind, because it seems so simple. Humans are not on or off when it comes to running. We are often in between various states of motion, we all have variable speeds, and we should be able to take advantage of that as a football player, who oftentimes has better body control than the average ham 'n egger off the street. Momentum and footplanting should be something that gets a lot of attention, because it seems like these players are moving independent of the football field, and against the rules of physics that determine exactly what our bodies can do. We have no sense of an actual hard cut, and the direction changing is independent or far too loose in terms of momentum, not to mention we don't get a sense that a big man like Ted Washington has trouble changing direction when he gets going versus a small agile guy like Sproles. This also ties into a guy getting wrapped up but then his break tackle rating allowing his feet to seemingly get moving again. Either the check needs to be earlier, and a secondary animation with the feet still moving needs to play, or we need to have the feet stop and the guy is tackled.

Adem brought up a good point about the LBs too. The fundamentals on those guys are off in the videos, and I hope that some of the stuff that went on last year doesn't continue to happen. I'd be fine without signature animations for specific players until we have every player reflecting the fundamentals of their position to a tee, because it's those fundamentals as well as their talent that got them to the NFL. If we still have LBs running at the inside shoulders of Tackles and getting swallowed (no homo) by double teams, then we don't have a need for the fluff visual stuff until that's remedied. Dropping back into zones before reacting like Adem said...that's just plain wrong. Personally, I would rather they slide a little towards their assigned gap or begin acting on one of their keys than going backwards.

Defensively, I would like to see more options on keys, and having multiple keys as well. The effectiveness is going to vary based on the player, obviously, but I think that a guy like Ray Lewis, who has seen it all and can likely call the play and the direction when the offense lines up, should be able to more effectively key in on the offense and be more disruptive than say, a rookie LB with lower play recognition. He's more likely to be a split second late to the party. Same things go for DBs, DTs, DEs, and Safeties. In a perfect world, all of these fundamental things like gap assignments, contain responsibilities, whether or not you have a "hat for a hat" on your play (offense or defense), would have been essential pieces of the game before the graphical upgrades, before worrying about sock lengths, cleat colors, before worrying about plane flyovers, etc.

That's the few concerns I have about Madden that need to be addressed this year and for the future. Momentum, Fundamentals, Defensive improvement.
Our purchasing power is being eroded. So especially now, the goods must be held to a standard. We end up happier as consumers, and the companies get a clear message: "We won't tolerate sub-par goods." It's a shame, no one cares to speak with their wallet.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »