Home

What Role will PreSeason Games have in Franchise?

This is a discussion on What Role will PreSeason Games have in Franchise? within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 06-24-2009, 04:34 PM   #41
Rookie

OVR: 8
Re: What Role will PreSeason Games have in Franchise?

Quote:
Originally Posted by damien6663
Yup what is weak is how there is no incentive to play pre season games, i just sim them...and if one of my studs gets like a season ending injury, i just re-load.

pre season right now is pointless in madden without expanded rosters, position battles, and inexperienced player progression.
THAT
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 06-24-2009, 05:15 PM   #42
Rookie

OVR: 18

Quote:
Originally Posted by sois
Guys, no need to get sassy. It's obvious he means Dookie is weak for simulating games with injuries off and not playing them.

However, what is curious to me is that Donnie can find the motivation to play meaningless franchise preseason games despite all of the testing and coding and practicing....etc. I figure he would be having Madden nightmares at this point. Donnie definitely loves Madden more than I do

No, maybe something is being missed here by a few. I sim pre-season games too. I don't have time to play each game, so I sim probably 90% of my pre-season games. However, I do NOT, under any circumstances, go into the settings and turn injuries off or turn sim injuries off.

To me, that is weak. Injuries are very much a part of football, who am I to act like that is news to you folks. But heck, that is the one piece of true NFL realism we try and give you with a pre-season mode. Ask Trent Green and/or Kurt Warner how important pre-season injuries are to the possible trajectories of an NFL players career.

I am not making the argument at all, that our pre-season franchise mode experience is the ultimate NFL re-creation of that aspect of football. We could do lots of cool things mentioned above and in countless wish list threads across the internet (and also, in Head Coach 09 BTW - we had a pretty kick a$$ pre-season mode with 80 man rosters, cut days, etc.). We continue to look at areas of the game to improve, and this one is right there on the list.

I personally like injuries in a video game, don't mind when they happen to me one bit, because I whole-heartedly welcome the challenge it brings me as a video game football player/coach/GM. If Brady goes down in pre-season, what do I do, roll with Kevin O'Connell? Do I go and pick up a free agent guy? Do I make a trade and get weak at another position? What does it do to my offensive scheme? DO I still want to pass 45 times a game, now without 97 OVR Tom Brady? Should I play a ball control offense and throw occasional play fake deep pass to Randy Moss? Look at all of these new branch points for stories and challenges it present you the gamer/coach/player/GM.

Before this, with injuries turned OFF, none of this is possible in YOUR franchise mode. It is in mine. And again, I welcome challenges like that in a football video game because ultimately, that is my end goal - I like to be challenged and have as close to 100% NFL experience as possible, on and off the field. Some people when they play Madden franchise, their goal is to go 16-0 and they will push the reset button as many times as they need to in order to reach that goal. Some people go in and switch player positions to get trades pushed across the CPU...And that is fine, I'm not here to badmouth your way of playing Madden, or his way of playing. We leave those options in the game because we realize that Madden is so big, you have to give the gamer the option to how we wants to play his Madden.

I just wanted to let you hear my own personal view on pre-season games and their current role in the Madden franchise mode.

Donny
Old 06-24-2009, 05:23 PM   #43
Then..Now...Forever

countryboy's Arena

OVR: 62

Donny...you run with the Pats?

Weak..

J/K

I miss the old days of Operation Sports :(

Louisville Cardinals/St.Louis Cardinals
Old 06-24-2009, 05:28 PM   #44
MVP

rckabillyRaider's Arena

OVR: 36

The implementation of preseason in madden 10 is definitely gonna be weak. Hopefully the rest of the game will make up for that weakness.
Old 06-24-2009, 05:30 PM   #45

kehlis's Arena

OVR: 41

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donny_Moore
No, maybe something is being missed here by a few. I sim pre-season games too. I don't have time to play each game, so I sim probably 90% of my pre-season games. However, I do NOT, under any circumstances, go into the settings and turn injuries off or turn sim injuries off.

To me, that is weak. Injuries are very much a part of football, who am I to act like that is news to you folks. But heck, that is the one piece of true NFL realism we try and give you with a pre-season mode. Ask Trent Green and/or Kurt Warner how important pre-season injuries are to the possible trajectories of an NFL players career.
But this is the point though. Why play or simulate through a preseason with injuries on if that is the ONLY possible outcome of preseason.

No one will say injuries aren't a part of preseason, but how fair would it be if I started a preseason with QB1 who gets hurt in week 1, and qb2 doesn't progress at all?

Realism would be that if Kyle Orton got hurt in week one, Chris Simms would be getting more reps and would progress more. Without that possibility the only outcome from preseason is the negative.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 06-24-2009, 05:30 PM   #46
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by countryboy
Donny...you run with the Pats?

Weak..

J/K
Honestly, every time I start up the mode, wether that be to test something out or to start a new online franchise in the office, I pick a different team each time. Really think people who exclusively play as their favorite team really miss out on some cool aspects of the game of Madden. Each team, each player really has their own identity, their own brand of football they bring to the table. You don't play as the Saints to experience the power football running game, you get the best Madden experience with them if you play a spread offense and throw to Reggie Bush. On the franchise side of things, each team has a totally unique identity there as well. What kind of young players does each team have? Salary cap situations play a huge role. If you are Redskins fan and only play as Redskins, I bet you don't even know what it is like to have salary cap room in Madden franchise mode!

I'm a Tampa Bay Bucs fan. But in reality, I am a fan of the NFL. Working on Madden (doing what I do) plus 10+ years of fantasy football sort of de-sensatize you from the team and more about the players.

I've mentioned this before somewhere, I have 24 of the 32 NFL teams jerseys. I try and not wear the team of the Bucs opponent that week, but other than that, I'll wear any jersey, any time.

So me and the word homer simply don't mix I'm sad to announce. OK, enough useless info. Back to work.
Old 06-24-2009, 05:39 PM   #47
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by kehlis
But this is the point though. Why play or simulate through a preseason with injuries on if that is the ONLY possible outcome of preseason.

No one will say injuries aren't a part of preseason, but how fair would it be if I started a preseason with QB1 who gets hurt in week 1, and qb2 doesn't progress at all?

Realism would be that if Kyle Orton got hurt in week one, Chris Simms would be getting more reps and would progress more. Without that possibility the only outcome from preseason is the negative.
Only possible outcome? Injuries are random, sometimes you get them, sometimes you don't. Pretty much like in real life from year to year, you never know who is going to get hurt. Sorry, I'm not following here..

What I am saying is that if the injury option is in the game, and offers a significant opportunity at creating some form of NFL realism inside your Madden franchise mode, why would you want to turn it off?

The other arguments about missing features, players not progressing as a result, etc. are all fines points but I addressed that issue in the above post about possible new features in Madden.

It certainly is not like JaMarcus Russell gets hurt in every preseason game if you sim for example. I bet if you simmed a pre-season 100 times, you would get a nice array of random results. This is 100% intentional by design.
Old 06-24-2009, 05:42 PM   #48
Speak it into existence

jeremym480's Arena

OVR: 39

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donny_Moore
Honestly, every time I start up the mode, wether that be to test something out or to start a new online franchise in the office, I pick a different team each time. Really think people who exclusively play as their favorite team really miss out on some cool aspects of the game of Madden. Each team, each player really has their own identity, their own brand of football they bring to the table. You don't play as the Saints to experience the power football running game, you get the best Madden experience with them if you play a spread offense and throw to Reggie Bush. On the franchise side of things, each team has a totally unique identity there as well. What kind of young players does each team have? Salary cap situations play a huge role. If you are Redskins fan and only play as Redskins, I bet you don't even know what it is like to have salary cap room in Madden franchise mode!

I'm a Tampa Bay Bucs fan. But in reality, I am a fan of the NFL. Working on Madden (doing what I do) plus 10+ years of fantasy football sort of de-sensatize you from the team and more about the players.

I've mentioned this before somewhere, I have 24 of the 32 NFL teams jerseys. I try and not wear the team of the Bucs opponent that week, but other than that, I'll wear any jersey, any time.

So me and the word homer simply don't mix I'm sad to announce. OK, enough useless info. Back to work.
Thanks Donny. I think that you and I are very similar in the way we play Madden. I like to switch up teams, as well. I usually get through about 4-5 years of franchise and then start over so, I can use another team. I always use GB first because that's my team. But, last year I used New Orleans, Tennessee and New York Jets, also. Each one brought their very on challenges and that's what I love about Madden.

Back on topic, having a better pre-season experience will definitely be in the top 3 of my wishlist for M11. Hopefully, it will get addressed.

Thanks again and great job so far!!

Alabama Crimson Tide
Green Bay Packers
Boston Celtics

New Orleans Pelicans

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »