Home

What Role will PreSeason Games have in Franchise?

This is a discussion on What Role will PreSeason Games have in Franchise? within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 06-24-2009, 05:46 PM   #49

kehlis's Arena

OVR: 41
Re: What Role will PreSeason Games have in Franchise?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donny_Moore
Only possible outcome? Injuries are random, sometimes you get them, sometimes you don't. Pretty much like in real life from year to year, you never know who is going to get hurt. Sorry, I'm not following here..

What I am saying is that if the injury option is in the game, and offers a significant opportunity at creating some form of NFL realism inside your Madden franchise mode, why would you want to turn it off?

The other arguments about missing features, players not progressing as a result, etc. are all fines points but I addressed that issue in the above post about possible new features in Madden.

It certainly is not like JaMarcus Russell gets hurt in every preseason game if you sim for example. I bet if you simmed a pre-season 100 times, you would get a nice array of random results. This is 100% intentional by design.
Yep, my bad I wasn't very clear.

All I meant was that after the preseason, if anything at all, the only affect your roster would have will be an injury.

There is no chance at a positive result, while the possibility exists that there will be injuries (with the obvious possibility that there are none.)

My only point was that I don't see any possible upside while playing with injuries on (even though it is the more realistic way to play).

Not trying to argue, you guys have done a great job, just wanted to bring up my point of view.
Old 06-24-2009, 05:58 PM   #50
Banned

OVR: 10

Preseason is worthless in the real NFL just ask 99% of the players they don't like but yet have to play them and they can't turn of the injurys..... You guys are suppose to be hardcore and yet YOU CHEAT BY TURNING OFF INJURYS.
Old 06-24-2009, 06:00 PM   #51

kehlis's Arena

OVR: 41

Quote:
Originally Posted by granddogg
Preseason is worthless in the real NFL just ask 99% of the players they don't like but yet have to play them and they can't turn of the injurys..... You guys are suppose to be hardcore and yet YOU CHEAT BY TURNING OFF INJURYS.
Absolutely.

Except it isn't useless to the 2nd 3rd and 4th stringers who get reps they can't replicate in practice. It sure is a great way for them to progress.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 06-24-2009, 06:11 PM   #52

Deegeezy's Arena

OVR: 15

Quote:
True...I play with injuries on but to play devil's advocate though, in real life coaches aren't forced to play their top 53 players for an entire preseason game.

In real life, back-ups get some valuable playing time that can help them become better players, which in Madden cooresponds with progression. This isn't in Madden though.

So like another person has stated, the only thing that can come out of playing the preseason is something negative.
Old 06-24-2009, 06:19 PM   #53
Banned

OVR: 9

Donny trying to sound all 1337...

Look, I know that you are trying to defend the franchise mode that you oversaw this year, but you have GOT to see what everyone here is saying! There needs to be an incentive...something that makes Preseason matter? Why turn injuries on if there is no positive upside to go along with it?

Preseason Negatives:
An injury could occur.

Preseason Positives:
An injury may not occur.

Either way, an injury occurs or NOTHING happens at all.

Why would I enter a contest to win as a grand prize a punch to the face, and as the runner up, nothing at all? Would you enter that contest, Donny? Would ANYONE enter that contest? No! Because there is no upside to entering.

This is the best I can explain it to you, Donny, since you seem to not be grasping what we are all upset about.

Not trying to come off as a jerk, I know you have made some strides this year with offline franchise. It just doesn't make sense to leave injuries on during preseason if injuries are the only possible outcome...no positives what-so-ever...there has got to be some kind of trade-off.
Old 06-24-2009, 06:20 PM   #54
Pro

JeriousNorwood's Arena

OVR: 5

I think turning the injuries off in preseason is stupid. Why? Because my players only get injured when I sim games. Players almost never get injured for more than a game while playing '09, so at least someone would get injured during the preseason.

That being said, I usually play 1-2 games to get a feel for my new rookies and singings.
Old 06-24-2009, 06:32 PM   #55
MVP

MattIntellect's Arena

OVR: 26

Quote:
The pre-season is very valuable to coaches. Just ask 99% of the coaches if they don't like the pre-season even though players are unfortunately injured.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 06-24-2009, 06:42 PM   #56
Orange and Blue!

Broncos86's Arena

OVR: 31

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattIntellect
The pre-season is very valuable to coaches. Just ask 99% of the coaches if they don't like the pre-season even though players are unfortunately injured.
There's a bit of difference, here, of course. Coaches are evaluating players, seeing who can make the cut, and getting players into a groove. Players are learning the playbook, and getting up to game-day speed.

In Madden, we see our player ratings from the moment we sign them (rookies), or even earlier (veterans). We don't need to worry about bringing players up to speed, learning playbooks, etc. Sure, one could make the argument that it could help US get up to speed, but I'm not willing to put that down as a bullet point.

I do NOT turn off injuries, though. I agree with Donny: injuries are a part of the game. Last year, I had several seasons where Cutler went down for the entire year, and I played with Ramsey. People here beg for sim football, and they want realistic injuries. That's realism.

That being said, I do wish preseason meant more than just that. I sim all my preseason games, but I always have. Even when players could progress, during PS2 days, I simmed my preseason. I'm looking forward to when preseason is more than just a dice roll to see if I deal with injuries or not. It'd be nice to see rookies who come into camp make a difference (Eddie Royal, for example). Rookies go into training camp/preseason and can go several different ways. Some flourish, some bust, some stagnate.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »