Home

What Role will PreSeason Games have in Franchise?

This is a discussion on What Role will PreSeason Games have in Franchise? within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 06-24-2009, 06:49 PM   #57

kehlis's Arena

OVR: 41
Re: What Role will PreSeason Games have in Franchise?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Broncos86
There's a bit of difference, here, of course. Coaches are evaluating players, seeing who can make the cut, and getting players into a groove. Players are learning the playbook, and getting up to game-day speed.

In Madden, we see our player ratings from the moment we sign them (rookies), or even earlier (veterans). We don't need to worry about bringing players up to speed, learning playbooks, etc. Sure, one could make the argument that it could help US get up to speed, but I'm not willing to put that down as a bullet point.

I do NOT turn off injuries, though. I agree with Donny: injuries are a part of the game. Last year, I had several seasons where Cutler went down for the entire year, and I played with Ramsey. People here beg for sim football, and they want realistic injuries. That's realism.

That being said, I do wish preseason meant more than just that. I sim all my preseason games, but I always have. Even when players could progress, during PS2 days, I simmed my preseason. I'm looking forward to when preseason is more than just a dice roll to see if I deal with injuries or not. It'd be nice to see rookies who come into camp make a difference (Eddie Royal, for example). Rookies go into training camp/preseason and can go several different ways. Some flourish, some bust, some stagnate.
To be fair the quote you were responding to was with regards to real life, not madden.

And again, no one will argue with you that injuries aren't realistic and aren't a part of preseason.

But isn't it also realistic to have full rosters, and chance for backups to progress through the preseason?

Again, I am as much about realism as anyone. And I have never turned off injuries for preseason in the past, however, I thought the point that was brought up in this thread is a good one.

But, to use your example, when Cutler went down, don't you think it would be more realistic that Ramsey had progressed a little through the preseason since he was getting more reps?
Old 06-24-2009, 06:53 PM   #58
MVP

OVR: 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donny_Moore
Weak

Yes, but so is not having any type of progression or roster cut downs for the pre-season...like others have said it is nothing more than filler...in Madden...

Currently Playing: Mortal Kombat & Portal 2
Old 06-24-2009, 06:54 PM   #59
Orange and Blue!

Broncos86's Arena

OVR: 31

Quote:
Originally Posted by kehlis
To be fair the quote you were responding to was with regards to real life, not madden.

And again, no one will argue with you that injuries aren't realistic and aren't a part of preseason.

But isn't it also realistic to have full rosters, and chance for backups to progress through the preseason?

Again, I am as much about realism as anyone. And I have never turned off injuries for preseason in the past, however, I thought the point that was brought up in this thread is a good one.

But, to use your example, when Cutler went down, don't you think it would be more realistic that Ramsey had progressed a little through the preseason since he was getting more reps?
Which is why I said:

Quote:
I'm looking forward to when preseason is more than just a dice roll to see if I deal with injuries or not. It'd be nice to see rookies who come into camp make a difference (Eddie Royal, for example). Rookies go into training camp/preseason and can go several different ways. Some flourish, some bust, some stagnate.
Old 06-24-2009, 06:56 PM   #60

kehlis's Arena

OVR: 41

Quote:
Originally Posted by Broncos86
Which is why I said:
ahh...touche.
Old 06-24-2009, 06:57 PM   #61
Live Action, please?

jfsolo's Arena

OVR: 20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Briankbl
Donny trying to sound all 1337...

Look, I know that you are trying to defend the franchise mode that you oversaw this year, but you have GOT to see what everyone here is saying! There needs to be an incentive...something that makes Preseason matter? Why turn injuries on if there is no positive upside to go along with it?

Preseason Negatives:
An injury could occur.

Preseason Positives:
An injury may not occur.

Either way, an injury occurs or NOTHING happens at all.

Why would I enter a contest to win as a grand prize a punch to the face, and as the runner up, nothing at all? Would you enter that contest, Donny? Would ANYONE enter that contest? No! Because there is no upside to entering.

This is the best I can explain it to you, Donny, since you seem to not be grasping what we are all upset about.

Not trying to come off as a jerk, I know you have made some strides this year with offline franchise. It just doesn't make sense to leave injuries on during preseason if injuries are the only possible outcome...no positives what-so-ever...there has got to be some kind of trade-off.
I concur.

I'm in the camp who says, without the realism of having full camp rosters, progression, increased playbook knowledge, the realism of injuries on during the preseason has negligible value.

Do this today: Instead of $%*#!@& on a game you're not going to play or movie you're not going to watch, say something good about a piece of media you're excited about.

Do the same thing tomorrow. And the next. Now do it forever.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 06-24-2009, 07:37 PM   #62
Banned

OVR: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donny_Moore
Honestly, every time I start up the mode, wether that be to test something out or to start a new online franchise in the office, I pick a different team each time. Really think people who exclusively play as their favorite team really miss out on some cool aspects of the game of Madden. Each team, each player really has their own identity, their own brand of football they bring to the table. You don't play as the Saints to experience the power football running game, you get the best Madden experience with them if you play a spread offense and throw to Reggie Bush. On the franchise side of things, each team has a totally unique identity there as well. What kind of young players does each team have? Salary cap situations play a huge role. If you are Redskins fan and only play as Redskins, I bet you don't even know what it is like to have salary cap room in Madden franchise mode!

I'm a Tampa Bay Bucs fan. But in reality, I am a fan of the NFL. Working on Madden (doing what I do) plus 10+ years of fantasy football sort of de-sensatize you from the team and more about the players.

I've mentioned this before somewhere, I have 24 of the 32 NFL teams jerseys. I try and not wear the team of the Bucs opponent that week, but other than that, I'll wear any jersey, any time.

So me and the word homer simply don't mix I'm sad to announce. OK, enough useless info. Back to work.
I like to roll with a continuing franchise. I always start as the Bucs. Unfortunately we have lost the feature to change franchises though. on current gen I used to be the Bucs, but once I'd built them up I'd move on and take a struggling team and try get them to the superbowl and keep on doing that. I usually only get 9 or 10 seasons in if I'm lucky before the next Madden comes out, so there are ususally enough big names left in the game to keep me going. But this feature has never made it into next gen, and starting again with only months before the next edition comes out isn't so appealing to me...
Old 06-24-2009, 07:42 PM   #63
Pro

dougdeuce's Arena

OVR: 18

at the very least, they could implement progression after the preseason and expanded rosters. That way you would have to cut players not knowing if they were going to be studs, and then have another team pick them up and burn you with them.
Old 06-24-2009, 07:47 PM   #64

Deegeezy's Arena

OVR: 15

Maybe make preseason strictly a way to progress guy's AWR rating.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »