Home

We NEED to know how well Progression works

This is a discussion on We NEED to know how well Progression works within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 06-26-2009, 01:59 PM   #73
Rookie

iLukeisamazing's Arena

OVR: 5
Re: We NEED to know how well Progression works

Honestly, the system looks so much better this year according to all these updates. I know no system can be perfect, so you've got to give it your best go and there are always going to be players who have exceptional physical abilities but are missing some other component (Vernon Davis) so you have to compensate in some way for all this.

I wish the progression curve would "learn" for players who are on the bench, hopefully next year.
Atlanta Falcons
Atlanta Hawks
Old 07-01-2009, 11:16 PM   #74
Rookie

WilesThing's Arena

OVR: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fox1994
As long as one can outdo their potential, I'm down. Otherwise, it seems a little iffy to me. Because their shouldn't be a set limit to how good a guy can go. Production should cause the overall, so to speak.

But I'm not here to argue. Thanks for the info, y'all.
This is how I always viewed potential. Your natural gifts, the physical limits of what your body can do, are your potential. I'm fine with having caps on that in Madden cause there's caps on that in real life. No matter how hard I or almost any other human being on the planet practices, we're never going to have the physical gifts of a Michael Jordan or Barry Sanders. That's just genetics.

But those gifts only determine your potential. You still have to meld those genetic talents with mental discipline and knowledge. That's what makes guys like Jordan and Barry so rare. There's been and still are guys that have as much potential as them, but it almost never happens that they're able to put it all together like the legends did. You hear it all the time on draft day: "This guy is raw, but he's got all the physical tools" or "If this kid can catch up to the speed of the pro game, he'll be a great one."

So it's not a problem that there's a potential rating in Madden. The problem is that there aren't as many factors affecting a player fulfilling that potential in Madden as there are in real life. In Madden, we have on the field production and injuries determining if a guy can live up to his potential. In real life, we have both of those but also have off the field issues, character being the biggest one. How many guys have slid down draft boards even though they were physical freaks because of character issues? This is huge when determining whether to take a guy because so many players with good potential just can't keep their noses clean.

So I don't see a potential rating in Madden as being any different than real life. You scout a guy enough in the real world, you'll know what his physical ceiling will be. You then just have to hope he can learn the mental part of the game, stay healthy, and stay out of trouble. I guess 2 out of 3 of those factors for Madden ain't bad.
Old 07-06-2009, 05:59 AM   #75
Rookie

PuddleMonkey's Arena

OVR: 6

I'm geeked!
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-06-2009, 11:29 AM   #76
Banned

bigjake62505's Arena

OVR: 22

The best thing that they did was give us the ability to edit ratings in the dynasty. I don't think the madden team could ever get ratings or progression right. Its a complete crap shoot. Every year there are gems and busts in the draft and there is no way to determine which guys will be good and which guys will be bad. One thing I am really looking forward to is the created draft classes, to say that a player drafted in the 1st round, 2nd round are going to be good and players drafted in the 6th , 7th round are going to be career backups is just wrong. One thing that I would like to see is a complete breakdown of the ratings and what they do exactly in madden language.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »