Home

We NEED to know how well Progression works

This is a discussion on We NEED to know how well Progression works within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 06-25-2009, 07:30 AM   #41

Deegeezy's Arena

OVR: 15
Re: We NEED to know how well Progression works

Quote:
Originally Posted by spiggidy
Im a little worried about this potential rating... Its going to rely heavily on this new rating system and how well players actually play to their strengths and weaknesses. It sounds like a good idea, at least compared to last year..

What bothers me most is actually knowing the potential rating of your players. This I think is not realistic. Maybe Im wrong. But this is how I see it. If this feature was implemented when Brady was drafted, then his potential rating in that years Madden would of been 98 or 99 at the start of the season, while his overall was probably something to a 50-60 because he was drafted in the sixth round, so no one could of had him rated higher. If thats the case, then I think this potential rating has a serious flaw. I don't think anyone should know the true potential rating of players. I think it should be all estimates. How accurate that estimate is should be determined by your coaching staff. ex. Bill Billichick would probably see a 89-98 potential rating for Brady, my opinion of course.
I don't see how this is realistic. In real life, scouts look at tape and sometimes come away with strong feelings about a guy's ability. They could be wrong or they could be right and sometimes, a lot of time, even if they are right the players never reach their potential.

That's why all we're getting is a letter grade for potential.

What people need to start doing is looking at the ratings system in the same manner as real life scouting grades.

Just because a guy is not drafted until round 6 or 7 does not mean a team feels he is not going to be good. They could think the guy has all the potential in the world but why pick a guy in round 1 that you feel you could take later?
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 06-25-2009, 07:32 AM   #42

Deegeezy's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by adembroski
Right, let me be more detailed.

When you start the season, your scouting information is an estimated 40 time and a few other minor stats, plus, basically, a guess as to his potential. It's a bar, no hard numbers. If the bar is full, his potential is 99, if it's empty, it's 50 or something like that.

For probably 80-some odd percent of the players in the draft, the bar is reasonably accurate. However, it's not 100% accurate for anyone who's unscouted. Over the course of scouting, you'll notice these bars go up and down... the more you scout, the closer to the real thing you get. I'm not 100% sure how accurate a full scouted one is, but I'm pretty sure even it isn't perfect. There's always some "fuzziness".

There are a few players in every draft who's estimated bar is way off. Each time you scout him, you'll see his potential jump off the charts (there are guy who'll drop as well). The question, ultimately, is how much time are you going to put into a single guy? You have around 15-25 scouts a week for 17 weeks... that's about 340 total scouting sessions for 250 players who require 6 scouting sessions each to completely unlock. If you get a guy going from 50-60 in one week, chance are you're going to scout him again.. then he doesn't jump the next week... you thought you had one, but he turned out to be a dead end... or he jumps again, now he's a 70... as you get close to the end of the season, it becomes a tougher choice.

Quite honestly,when I was messing with it, I didn't bother much with individual stats. I looked at potential almost strictly... the scouting process is essentially a hunt for the gems.

Now, here's the deal... you still may end up with a Joey Harrington. If you draft a guy with an "A" potential, you still have to get him there. It's not automatic. This is where performance works into the equation... (and btw, performance is relative... players are ranked by position to determine performance based progression)... if a guy comes in as a 60 overall with an "A" potential, you've still gotta perform well enough in the early years to take advantage of his ascending phase. Once you hit the Plateau phase of his career, he's gonna slow way down and progress around 2 points a season. Thus, a guy may never reach his potential.

The point of potential is that every human has his own unique limitations. Certain guys just are never going to be Dan Marino, no matter how good the situation is. He can be Trent Dilfer, and be put in the right situation to succeed and get a title, but he'll never be a 99, period. Potential simulates that fact.

For the record, there is an antithesis of potential... players can only DIGRESS to a certain point as well, after which, they'll simply hang 'em up.

How many players do we get to scout each week?
Old 06-25-2009, 11:27 AM   #43
49ers

adembroski's Arena

OVR: 43

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deegeezy
How many players do we get to scout each week?
Depends on the scouting service you pay for. if I remember right, it's between 15 and 25.

The first kind is wrong. The second is superfluous.

The only difference between reality and fiction is that fiction needs to be credible.
-Mark Twain.
Old 06-25-2009, 11:43 AM   #44

Deegeezy's Arena

Quote:
Depends on the scouting service you pay for. if I remember right, it's between 15 and 25.
Something I haven't been able to figure out...What is the downfall with paying the highest dollar for scouting? It seems like the negative is pretty minimal.

Maybe since I am using the Bengals for my franchise I should use the lowest costng one to keep things realistic haha
Old 06-25-2009, 12:22 PM   #45
49ers

adembroski's Arena

OVR: 43

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deegeezy
Something I haven't been able to figure out...What is the downfall with paying the highest dollar for scouting? It seems like the negative is pretty minimal.

Maybe since I am using the Bengals for my franchise I should use the lowest costng one to keep things realistic haha
I mentioned this to Josh and I know he changed it, but I don't know how much different it is.

There were two big peices of feedback I gave him regarding the draft...
1. There's so little difference in cost between scouting agencies, why would anyone go with the cheap one?
2. When you only had like 5-15 scouts per week, I basically said that the most drunken, uncommitted owner can pick up an Athlons scouting guide on his way to Radio City Music Hall, we need more draft information than this. This, I know he acted on and basically doubled the number of scouts.

The first kind is wrong. The second is superfluous.

The only difference between reality and fiction is that fiction needs to be credible.
-Mark Twain.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 06-25-2009, 12:47 PM   #46

Deegeezy's Arena

Quote:
I mentioned this to Josh and I know he changed it, but I don't know how much different it is.

There were two big peices of feedback I gave him regarding the draft...
1. There's so little difference in cost between scouting agencies, why would anyone go with the cheap one?
2. When you only had like 5-15 scouts per week, I basically said that the most drunken, uncommitted owner can pick up an Athlons scouting guide on his way to Radio City Music Hall, we need more draft information than this. This, I know he acted on and basically doubled the number of scouts.
Great info man...I appreciate it.

Hopefully the best scouting agency is more cost-phobitive than in the past.
Old 06-25-2009, 12:57 PM   #47
Rookie

turfguy23's Arena

OVR: 10

I don't think there should be a different amount of "scouts" for a higher/lower price. It should be better/worse information.

Let's say you have 3 scouting services to choose from:

It takes 8 total scouts to unlock a players full information.

Scouting service A (the best/most expensive), you only need 4 scouts (or 4 weeks) to unlock the players full information.

Scouting service B (the middle/average cost), you need 6 scouts (or 6 weeks) to unlock the players full information.

Scouting service C (the worst/cheapest), you need all 8 scouts (or 8 weeks) to unlock the players information.

In real life, teams don't have MORE scouts.......they have BETTER scouts that give more reliable information.
Old 06-25-2009, 01:04 PM   #48

Deegeezy's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by turfguy23
I don't think there should be a different amount of "scouts" for a higher/lower price. It should be better/worse information.

Let's say you have 3 scouting services to choose from:

It takes 8 total scouts to unlock a players full information.

Scouting service A (the best/most expensive), you only need 4 scouts (or 4 weeks) to unlock the players full information.

Scouting service B (the middle/average cost), you need 6 scouts (or 6 weeks) to unlock the players full information.

Scouting service C (the worst/cheapest), you need all 8 scouts (or 8 weeks) to unlock the players information.

In real life, teams don't have MORE scouts.......they have BETTER scouts that give more reliable information.
Yeah I think the level of detail in the info received should be the premium. Also, misinformation should be a little more prevelant with the cheaper service.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »