Home

How has Madden contributed to your overall understanding of Football ?

This is a discussion on How has Madden contributed to your overall understanding of Football ? within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 06-25-2009, 11:05 AM   #1
Rookie

OVR: 3
How has Madden contributed to your overall understanding of Football ?

I've been playing Madden NFL for about a decade now, and I have to say as much criticism as the game receives at times, it has been one of the most useful teaching tools for the game of football for me up to this point.

I played ball in high school, and was pretty good achieving all- city first team running back honors, but I must admit, 10 years removed from high school, that my understanding of the game of football then is no where close to what it is now. I sometimes sit back and think about how much better of a player I could have been back then if I had coupled that athleticism with my current understanding of the Xs and Os that make up the game of football.

I take pride in calling myself a sim player because its such a satisfying feeling IMO to go up against another sim player and really have a chest match taking place. Even if I lose, their is still satisfaction to be had in the overall experience. I give madden credit for contributing to my extensive knowlege of the game to this point because i feel like I can talk Xs and Os with the best of em,(hell even my wife can talk strategy because of this game)

I believe that the more accurte Madden is,(or any football game, for that matter) in representing real football scenarios the more useful it could be as a means of learning and teaching the real game of football to those who would otherwise not be exposed to the real game enough to fully understand the strategy that goes into it.

So just a topic that was on my mind feel free to tell how Madden has contributed to your understanding of the game or how it has assited you in teaching others the beautiful game that is football.

Peace

P.S. Finally the game is getting back on track toward the sim experience.Sim is beautiful
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 06-25-2009, 11:14 AM   #2
MVP

OVR: 23
Re: How has Madden contributed to your overall understanding of Football ?

It helped a lot really. Living in the UK I don't much chance to watch football and even less chance to play, so Madden taught me a lot about it.
Old 06-25-2009, 11:18 AM   #3
SHO
Give us a raise, loser!

SHO's Arena

OVR: 24

When I was younger, I played Coach Corner A LOT.
Old 06-25-2009, 11:23 AM   #4
MVP

OVR: 15

About this much...0
Old 06-25-2009, 12:36 PM   #5
MVP

OVR: 13

Big time... started playing Madden 05 for the PS2... and that in conjunction with watching games has tought me a ton.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 06-25-2009, 12:59 PM   #6
49ers

adembroski's Arena

OVR: 43

It did lay the foundation back in '93, '94, but only the basics. After that, I researched.

The first kind is wrong. The second is superfluous.

The only difference between reality and fiction is that fiction needs to be credible.
-Mark Twain.
Old 06-25-2009, 01:17 PM   #7
Banned

OVR: 15

no football game taught me anything about the game really, ive been playing them my whole life though. I thought I was pretty good with football knowledge but then I see LBRulz and some of the guys talk about X's and O's....

I played QB for like 7 years for my peewee team, so I always had a good understanding of the game.

Check out this site, has some crazy stuff about offense:

http://smartfootball.blogspot.com/
Old 06-25-2009, 01:19 PM   #8
MVP

OVR: 32

None really. If anything Madden pointed out things that were not right with football - Understandably since it is a video game....

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »