Home

when is realism TOO real?

This is a discussion on when is realism TOO real? within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 06-26-2009, 12:29 AM   #1
Rookie

OVR: 1
when is realism TOO real?

When is realism TOO real?

I ask this because I've been going around these forums and I've seen some insane requests that I dont even care to mention. But sometimes people need to realize its a videogame. And Im not saying that it shouldnt be real, I mean make the game as realistic as possible but also make the game playable.

Well, I'll contradict my earlier statement. I saw someone make a statement about passing. someone stated that the game isnt real because the only incomplete passes are either intercepted or deflected.

And I disagree with the aforementioned statement based on two things.

1. I played with the Jaguars on Madden 09 and those receivers dropped more passes than anyone and most of the time the passes were right on the money.

2. I want realism, but I also want full control of the players I use. I dont want to throw the perfect 10 yd pass, but because I have a "non-elite" QB he throws an errant throw on his own no matter what I do. And I also dont want to get a user catch untouched and drop it because Im not using Randy Moss.

These types of things irk me and I was just wondering what you guys thought. Do you guys have a line to drawn on "realism" as well or are you a "I want my QB to botch snaps once a game" type of guys.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 06-26-2009, 12:34 AM   #2
49ers

adembroski's Arena

OVR: 43
Re: when is realism TOO real?

The ridiculous desires for realism often stem from conversations regarding the accelerated clock.

The accelerated clock is a feature that makes time run down after you've selected your play so that you reach the line of scrimmage with 15-25 seconds left on the play clock. It simulates the time taken to select a play, make substitutions, relay the play in from the sidelines, and for the QB to call the play in the huddle.

I have heard people say that all of these things should be handled in real time... meaning a realistic 120-130 snap game will take 3 hours to play. Sorry, but that's too much realism.

I've also heard those who've said we shouldn't see attributes at all. This is more rare, but I've seen it. The argument is that NFL Coaches don't have convenient 99 point scales by which to rate players. Well, that's true, but I don't have 3-5 hours per day to sit in practice mode and get to know my football team either.

The point being, some things need to be abstract, or the process becomes more drudgery than fun.

The first kind is wrong. The second is superfluous.

The only difference between reality and fiction is that fiction needs to be credible.
-Mark Twain.
Old 06-26-2009, 01:44 AM   #3
Banned

OVR: 28

Quote:
Originally Posted by adembroski
The ridiculous desires for realism often stem from conversations regarding the accelerated clock.

The accelerated clock is a feature that makes time run down after you've selected your play so that you reach the line of scrimmage with 15-25 seconds left on the play clock. It simulates the time taken to select a play, make substitutions, relay the play in from the sidelines, and for the QB to call the play in the huddle.

I have heard people say that all of these things should be handled in real time... meaning a realistic 120-130 snap game will take 3 hours to play. Sorry, but that's too much realism.

I've also heard those who've said we shouldn't see attributes at all. This is more rare, but I've seen it. The argument is that NFL Coaches don't have convenient 99 point scales by which to rate players. Well, that's true, but I don't have 3-5 hours per day to sit in practice mode and get to know my football team either.

The point being, some things need to be abstract, or the process becomes more drudgery than fun.
Very well said I must say. I am all for realism, but the points mentioned here toe the line perfectly between what needs to be real and what needs to be "simulated".
Old 06-26-2009, 01:54 AM   #4
Rookie

OVR: 3

Realism is too real when playing a game becomes more like work and less like fun.
Old 06-26-2009, 02:26 AM   #5
MVP

Outkizast's Arena

OVR: 12

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Man 451
Realism is too real when playing a game becomes more like work and less like fun.
Work for some is FUN for others...

I, for one, really enjoy NFL Head Coach... it is FUN for me... but to the casual football gamer, it is more "work" than it's worth... i guess everyone is different and has different interests... So you can't really draw a line on when something becomes "too" realistic and less fun...

Although for me, I much prefer realism over all else.. I would rather throw a pass to an open wide receiver long and have it drop incomplete due to inaccuracy if that is what would happen in real life... I don't get angry when a player I am controlling makes a bad play as long as I can say: "Ya, well... I've seen him do that before...".... Basically I have to deal with the decisions I make as an owner and coach.. It's realism all the way for me... But I mostly want the game to play like a realistic game of football... I'm not as into all the colored cleats and long socks and all that stuff.... (although I do appreciate them)...

I just want a realistic game of football...
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 06-26-2009, 02:59 AM   #6
Proctor, MN. Go Rails!

Vikes1's Arena

OVR: 23

Nearly all of us say we want realism...and a true simulation. But just how far are we really willing to take it?

If you chose the Lions as your franchise team, would you be willing to play 20 seasons and never make the playoffs? Or even as an average team, and go 10 seasons or more without reaching a conference championship game? Thats reality for many teams in the NFL. Is that really what most want?....personally, I doubt it.

Imo...'realism is too real" in sport video games, if they actually did mirror real life.
Old 06-26-2009, 03:01 AM   #7
Rookie

OVR: 2

The only thing I don't want to see from Sundays in my video games are commercials.
Every thing else is fair game.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vikes1
Nearly all of us say we want realism...and a true simulation. But just how far are we really willing to take it?

If you chose the Lions as your franchise team, would you be willing to play 20 seasons and never make the playoffs? Or even as an average team, and go 10 seasons or more without reaching a conference championship game? Thats reality for many teams in the NFL. Is that really what most want?....personally, I doubt it.

Imo...'realism is too real" in sport video games, if they actually did mirror real life.
Everybody here is smarter then Matt Millen (I hope), so I doubt that would ever happen

Last edited by Progenitor; 06-26-2009 at 03:04 AM.
Old 06-26-2009, 03:03 AM   #8
Pro

droopizzle34's Arena

OVR: 18

i wonder do soldiers get mad when they play COD because them crawling across a field on the game is wrong? I wonder does Stan Lee critique SpiderMan's swing on the video game? Is Kobe mad his sig shot on 2k is not like his real shot?

I wonder about these things because people scream and hammer for things and get all upset instead of remembering THIS IS A VIDEO GAME. I was that way until I realized that. Video games are not perfect,yet people are screaming for run animations and not better RUN MECHANICS. Things that can be fixed instead of things that need time and more motion capture,etc. People need to chill sometimes and worry about the gameplay and graphics getting tight before they get all bent outta shape because the hot dog vendor has on no visor in Madden.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »