Home

My one last question about this year's Madden 10

This is a discussion on My one last question about this year's Madden 10 within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 07-01-2009, 02:13 AM   #9
Pro

billyboy316's Arena

OVR: 7
Re: My one last question about this year's Madden 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by stux
They have said it is going to progress ONLY DURING THE OFFSEASON.

QUOTE FROM HERE:

http://insideblog.easports.com/archi...2-q-amp-a.aspx
"
Q: How often does progression take place and will season performance effect it? (yearly, quarterly, every game, etc.)
A: All of the tuning this year was done to make the progression system from ’09 playable. Last year, players rarely progressed and if they did, they didn’t go up much. We fixed those problems and I’m seeing what I expect when I get to the offseason after having good seasons with my players. In the future, we’ll look into using a progression system similar to the one we used in NFL Head Coach ’09. It allows for more flexibility than the system we’re working with now.
To answer your question:
Season performance has a huge impact and progression happens in the offseason.
"

That is how we can tell before the game is out. And to a lot of us this isn't a "fixed" progression system.

Certainly not a good foundation either, or maybe it is a good foundation with bad soil under it.
Well maybe it isn't going to be perfect but it will sure beat last years pathetic excuse for progression. Personally I think most people do improve during the offseason. That is when they get stronger, faster, and really work at getting better and learn the playbook.

How often does a player practice during the season? Most players will take Monday, Tuesday, Saturday off. Now some players will progress during the season but normally they actually regress due to their bodies being banged up.
Old 07-01-2009, 02:55 AM   #10
MVP

bowdown2shadi's Arena

OVR: 28

We can always progress them ourselves, now that we have the option to edit attributes.
Old 07-01-2009, 05:22 PM   #11
Banned

OVR: 12

Quote:
Originally Posted by bowdown2shadi
We can always progress them ourselves, now that we have the option to edit attributes.
I had not heard that yet. So, we can edit ratings during a franchise?

That is at least something.

Does that include potential? If not you would think that would cap a player's ratings in some fashion.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-01-2009, 05:26 PM   #12
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by billyboy316
Well maybe it isn't going to be perfect but it will sure beat last years pathetic excuse for progression. Personally I think most people do improve during the offseason. That is when they get stronger, faster, and really work at getting better and learn the playbook.

How often does a player practice during the season? Most players will take Monday, Tuesday, Saturday off. Now some players will progress during the season but normally they actually regress due to their bodies being banged up.
This is absolutely not true. I can give you a long long long list of players that play a HoF second half of a season that started the season playing like crap. **** look at the entire Giants team the year they won the super bowl.

It was like two entirely different groups of people even though it was the same people. They just make improvement over the course of the season that kept getting better.

If I rated the team player by player I am sure the average OVR during the first half would have been about a 70 at best. Then the second half and into the playoffs they were more like a 93.
Old 07-01-2009, 05:50 PM   #13
Pro

billyboy316's Arena

Quote:
This is absolutely not true. I can give you a long long long list of players that play a HoF second half of a season that started the season playing like crap. **** look at the entire Giants team the year they won the super bowl.

It was like two entirely different groups of people even though it was the same people. They just make improvement over the course of the season that kept getting better.

If I rated the team player by player I am sure the average OVR during the first half would have been about a 70 at best. Then the second half and into the playoffs they were more like a 93.
Ok then look at a team like the Jets and the Broncos last year. First half look great then in the second half they couldn't buy a game. Look people have always said "progression isn't about stats but about gaining knowledge of the playbook and practice." well when does one gain most of their knowledge of the playbook and where does one practice the most? In the OFFSEASON. I am not saying I don't think players don't improve as the season goes on but the majority of the players either stay the same or drop off a bit.

Oh and that Giants team you are refering to started the season 6-2 but then fell off a bit going; loss, win, loss, win, win, loss, win, loss to end the regular season. And it wasn't like they blew out everyone they played in the postseason. They beat TB by 10, DAL by 4, GB by 3 and NE by 3. Now granted a wins a win but still.

Bottom line is I feel most of the progression should be in the offseason but I will agree that some should progress during the season.
Old 07-01-2009, 08:46 PM   #14
Banned

Quote:
Ok then look at a team like the Jets and the Broncos last year. First half look great then in the second half they couldn't buy a game. Look people have always said "progression isn't about stats but about gaining knowledge of the playbook and practice." well when does one gain most of their knowledge of the playbook and where does one practice the most? In the OFFSEASON. I am not saying I don't think players don't improve as the season goes on but the majority of the players either stay the same or drop off a bit.

Oh and that Giants team you are refering to started the season 6-2 but then fell off a bit going; loss, win, loss, win, win, loss, win, loss to end the regular season. And it wasn't like they blew out everyone they played in the postseason. They beat TB by 10, DAL by 4, GB by 3 and NE by 3. Now granted a wins a win but still.

Bottom line is I feel most of the progression should be in the offseason but I will agree that some should progress during the season.
You really don't get football man.

NOTHING SUBSTITUTES FOR REAL GAME EXPERIENCE

Practice, is JUST practice.

Anyone that knows anything about football knows this.

Anyone that ever played football knows this.

If you really think players make most of their progression in the offseason and NOT by playing ACTUAL games then you really must only play Madden.

Preseason doesn't even substitute for REAL GAME EXPERIENCE.

Education done.
Old 07-01-2009, 08:58 PM   #15
Pro

billyboy316's Arena

Quote:
You really don't get football man.

NOTHING SUBSTITUTES FOR REAL GAME EXPERIENCE

Practice, is JUST practice.

Anyone that knows anything about football knows this.

Anyone that ever played football knows this.

If you really think players make most of their progression in the offseason and NOT by playing ACTUAL games then you really must only play Madden.

Preseason doesn't even substitute for REAL GAME EXPERIENCE.

Education done.

Wow first off you don't even know me or anything about me.

Second if practice means so little then why even have practice at all I mean all they do is risk injury for absolutely nothing at all. Hmm and what is that saying....oh yea it's "practice makes perfect." So why don't you go ask ANY NFL or NCAA coach and ask them if practice isn't important and they will tell you that practice is one of the most important parts of the game. That is where players LEARN their plays and ultimately get better. Look at Matt Forte. His very first game he ran for over 100 yards. So how did he get good without playing a single NFL game? PRACTICE

Also if you actually read what I wrote you will see that my argument was players usually regress during the season due to being injured or too banged up i.e Brett Favre. He was having another great year until he got injured and then turned to crap. You want another example..look at Rex Grossman back in 06. He was having an MVP year through the first 6 games and then he crapped out. How about Jay Cutler last year in the last. He sucked in his last 5 games. But your right Mr. Madden I don't know football. Or should I call you Mr. Iverson since "were talking about practice?"
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-01-2009, 09:41 PM   #16
Banned

Quote:
Wow first off you don't even know me or anything about me.

Second if practice means so little then why even have practice at all I mean all they do is risk injury for absolutely nothing at all. Hmm and what is that saying....oh yea it's "practice makes perfect." So why don't you go ask ANY NFL or NCAA coach and ask them if practice isn't important and they will tell you that practice is one of the most important parts of the game. That is where players LEARN their plays and ultimately get better. Look at Matt Forte. His very first game he ran for over 100 yards. So how did he get good without playing a single NFL game? PRACTICE

Also if you actually read what I wrote you will see that my argument was players usually regress during the season due to being injured or too banged up i.e Brett Favre. He was having another great year until he got injured and then turned to crap. You want another example..look at Rex Grossman back in 06. He was having an MVP year through the first 6 games and then he crapped out. How about Jay Cutler last year in the last. He sucked in his last 5 games. But your right Mr. Madden I don't know football. Or should I call you Mr. Iverson since "were talking about practice?"
You have it part right.

Players REGRESS during the season. This is usually due to injuries, themselves or other players on their team which effect their play. Or just poor play.

That isn't going to happen with the current system btw. All progression AND regression occurs during the offseason.

AND

Players PROGRESS. You want to use the Bears as an example. Orton last year REGRESSED the second half of the season due to injury. Hester PROGRESSED during the season because he was getting used to running routes, reading the defense, and got hit timing down IN GAME.

Another Bears example Rashied Davis, during off season he worked his *** off, he looked great in practice, coaches were raving about him, he even got a long term contract extension because of it. The second he got out of the practice (including the preseason because it is practice as well) he looked like crap. He didn't play well until the last few games. So, what happened to all his practice?

Yeah, players need to know the playbook, yeah players need to stay fit, year players need to work out of game experience. But all that work doesn't always pan out in ACTUAL GAME. Some players make break throughs during the offseason, some players ALSO MAKE THE DURING THEM SEASON.

Watch every bit off footage, interviews, ect. during the preason and you will hear nothing but the vets saying well the rookies have to wait until a game to see the REAL GAME speed. Actual games EVERYONE is just moving faster then they ever would in "practice".

I am not saying people shouldn't progress during the offseason BUT to say they only progress during the offseason is just foolish.

Last edited by stux; 07-01-2009 at 09:44 PM.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »