Home

NFL Fever 2004's innovative passing"read and lead"Madden should adopt sumthin similar

This is a discussion on NFL Fever 2004's innovative passing"read and lead"Madden should adopt sumthin similar within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 06-28-2009, 11:22 PM   #25
Banned

OVR: 26
Re: NFL Fever 2004's innovative passing"read and lead"Madden should adopt sumthin sim

I whole heartedly agree wit u maddenps2 becuz I loved the vision cone from madden 06 and all my friends and family who played wit me didnt like it becuz dey didnt know wat dey were doin, but in my opinion features like da vision cone and read and lead passing separate the chumps from da real madden players
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 06-28-2009, 11:26 PM   #26
Mercy Extended. John 3:16

texbuk84's Arena

OVR: 34
Re: NFL Fever 2004's innovative passing"read and lead"Madden should adopt sumthin sim

dang that's hot. didn't even know that this existed man. i will hopefully try this gm out to see what your talking about future but this does need to be in the games.
Devils

2kflightschool.webs.com
Old 06-28-2009, 11:34 PM   #27
Rookie

OVR: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by coogrfan
And as per usual, you're both completely wrong...

There is nothing "sim" about R&L, at least not if the goal is to simulate the NFL.
Sim or not R&L is a more accurate portrayal of how quarterbacks throw the ball in the NFL. You throw receivers open, or to a spot, and that type of experience has yet to be reflected in Madden.
Old 06-29-2009, 12:00 AM   #28
Banned

OVR: 3
Thumbs down Re: NFL Fever 2004's innovative passing"read and lead"Madden should adopt sumthin sim

Quote:
No, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no.

A while back Ian made a statement to the effect that his long term vision for Madden was to produce a game in which a person who knew football but wasn't a gamer should expect to defeat a gamer with little or no football knowledge.

R&L, with it's emphasis on video gaming skills (using one stick to move the qb and the other to move a passing icon) is imo incompatible with that goal.
Please explain what's the difference between having this QB feature and with having all those ballcarrier abilities, The hitstick, etc... Im not all that good in juking or hitsticking because that's a bit arcadish and I'm not an arcade game type of guy

But if other positions can get user controlled actions where user skill can change the outcome of a play, why can't user controlled QB throws (like in Fever '04) be implemented into Madden as well?

It sounds like a great idea and I also agree that Football strategy and knowledge should be more of a factor in winning games rather than good button and stick skills. But as I said already, why are there more user abilities for other positions?

Last edited by Noobstur; 06-29-2009 at 12:05 AM.
Old 06-29-2009, 12:08 AM   #29
MVP

Tyrant8RDFL's Arena

OVR: 20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aso21Raiders
I don't understand how that has anything to do with the vision cone. In current gen games to me it seems like everybody can jump like superman and the trajectory of the bullet pass and other passes is so low is why it is now hard to throw over top of LB's.
I wasn't comparing the two.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rckabillyRaider
I'll stick with the current passing system.
And you should. I mean in all honesty if your paying for the game you should have the right to stick to the current format.

I like a advance setup for the QB position, and just wish we had the option to choose it.

They should add a advance setup, but not make it default. Make it where it has to be turned on in the game settings screen.
Old 06-29-2009, 12:11 AM   #30
MVP

OVR: 12

Quote:
Increased complexity does not necessarily mean increased realism, in fact the reverse is often true.

R&L rewarded video game skills, not football knowledge. It was un-sim because it's emphasis on stick skills made it possible for any qb to perform like John Elway.
Thanks for the thoughts, but that isn't the case. R&L rewarded videogame skills, what are you talking about, have you even played the game or watched the video. It rewarded the players ability to read the defense and deliver the ball to the correct place and with the correct velocity, does that sound familiar? That's what a quarterback does. Regardless of that nonsense, madden is not just a coaching game, its a game where the user controls on the field matter. If you don't like this there are games like NFL Coach that are perfect for you. If you think pressing one button is sim then you must have been happy by it in the 8-bit days.

Your ability to control a video-game should matter, as much as you may not like it. If it didn't what would be the point of giving a player control over the players movements? What would be the point of the players ratings if you couldn't utilize them when you controlled them. Again if you don't like this aspect of Madden you should play a game Like NFL Coach.

The decisions you make as you control the game should matter. Madden isn't a coaching game, it's a combination of play calling, and controlling the players on the field. IT should matter who make the best cuts and moves and decisions on the field utilizing the players skills. I'm not even good at control players on the field and I think it's absurd that you the control over the players shouldn't matter.

I don't understand your John Elway argument either because maddens current user controlled quarterback scheme allows the worst of quarterbacks to play like pro bowl quarterback regardless of ratings.
Old 06-29-2009, 12:14 AM   #31
Banned

OVR: 8

I've said it before, and i'll say it again. Madden's success as a franchise in the gaming industry has made it it's own worst enemy in ways. Madden fans have proven time and time again that they really don't want a "new" experience.

Case in point: "Vision and Precision". The ONE single gameplay feature where Tiburon actually NAILED IT! FINALLY the days of the sprinting backwards and all over nonsense chucking the ball all over the field with perfect accuracy days were GONE, while at the same time actually making QB ratings matter more than ever before in the franchise while also giving the human QB user the ability to actually "look off" DB's and LB's by moving the vision around.

It was perfect. Problem? Most people who can't think past go can't also let ANYTHING get out of their comfort zone. People whined and complained until just as another forum member aptly pointed out, the game DIGRESSED. We took a major step forward in realism (SIM?) and gameplay, to only go backwards.

To prove my point, if anyone remember when "next gen" first released, people complained about the new button configuration. Again, in this instance, Tiburon NAILED it. I could NEVER go back to the "A" or "X" button being SPRINT. Point goes back to what im saying about Tiburon making any significant changes that take players out of that "comfort zone" they all expect.

You STILL have people clamoring for PS2 gameplay with better graphics... you have to be KIDDING me. I didn't upgrade my hardware to play an OLD game engine. You see Tiburon's dilemma. Bringing real innovation to make the game play and "feel" different comes with alot of whining. I don't know about anyone else, but when im buying a new version of a game year in and year out i actually WANT a NEW experience, a new "learning curve". I don't EVER want to pick a game up and feel like i know exactly how the game plays and feels, like its the same ol' same ol'.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 06-29-2009, 12:16 AM   #32
MVP

OVR: 12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noobstur
Please explain what's the difference between having this QB feature and with having all those ballcarrier abilities, The hitstick, etc... Im not all that good in juking or hitsticking because that's a bit arcadish and I'm not an arcade game type of guy

But if other positions can get user controlled actions where user skill can change the outcome of a play, why can't user controlled QB throws (like in Fever '04) be implemented into Madden as well?

It sounds like a great idea and I also agree that Football strategy and knowledge should be more of a factor in winning games rather than good button and stick skills. But as I said already, why are there more user abilities for other positions?
People are using non-sensical arguments, madden isn't just a coaching game. Of course your control on the field should matter, if not why even have game-players control the players on the field. This game isn't nfl coach.

I'd would be total non-sense if your control skill on the field doesn't matter. That would mean that people me, who doesn't get a chance to play madden much, should be able to jump in and compete with someone who's been putting in hours and hard work practicing to be good at on the field control. So you really think that should be the case? I hope your kidding. I shouldn't be able to compete with those who put more hours in to make them selves better in the game.

Last edited by maddenps2; 06-29-2009 at 12:18 AM.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »